GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

It appears MSO is now getting cottonseed in boxcars.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Saw this the other day in White Piegon, had 1 green car with movable tarp and 3 box cars which seem odd. Then I saw one was open and there was a skid-steer inside dumping the cottonseed out. There was a lot of waste on the ground vs. going in the end of the green car which have clam shell doors on the end. I don't know how these cars are loaded at the source? Would they have a hatch on the roof? They look like an 80 foot plug boxcar from the road.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Also that siding is full of log cars and cottenseed cars that there is no more room. MSO has a lot more switching to do as these cars have to be shuffled frequently. Last I knew they worked M-W-F.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4th stone train scheduled for next week I'm told. Stay tuned.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

dave989 wrote:The crossing replacement on Madison is done and today I see MOW work crew at the Steelcase complex hacking away.
Back in the Steelcase area in Grand Rapids, here's some MOW equipment on the tracks. Line is still severed just west of 36th/Eastern Ave. Must have just loaded onto the rail via truck.

Back behind L&W Supply, 2 centerbeams spotted, CSXT 600925 fully loaded, TTZX 85544 partially unloaded.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

NS track crews have finished work in the local yard at Elkhart. With the downsizing of Bellevue Ohios yard and mothballing one hump now and a 2nd one later there, will this put more pressure on the Elk to keep their cars moving up to Kalamazoo. Right now there has been light engine moves on Sundays to keep cars coming out of the yard and moving north. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for Elkharts hump activity.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:
dave989 wrote:The crossing replacement on Madison is done and today I see MOW work crew at the Steelcase complex hacking away.
Back in the Steelcase area in Grand Rapids, here's some MOW equipment on the tracks. Line is still severed just west of 36th/Eastern Ave. Must have just loaded onto the rail via truck.

Back behind L&W Supply, 2 centerbeams spotted, CSXT 600925 fully loaded, TTZX 85544 partially unloaded.
The crossing back there (the one with signs only) is being replaced in preparation for a new transload facility set to come in next year or so. The other private crossing (with signals) is going to be removed soon.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Super Chief wrote:NS track crews have finished work in the local yard at Elkhart. With the downsizing of Bellevue Ohios yard and mothballing one hump now and a 2nd one later there, will this put more pressure on the Elk to keep their cars moving up to Kalamazoo. Right now there has been light engine moves on Sundays to keep cars coming out of the yard and moving north. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for Elkharts hump activity.

Why did NS downgrade Bellevue? I thought that had just spent a bunch of money upgrading Bellevue within the last few years and now they downgrade it?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

If you want a real eye opener go to www.thelayoff.com to see how NS has implemented strategies for the rest of the year to right-size the company. From humps to motive power and manpower reductions it is confirmed by nearby terminals forces daily.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

For the sake of preserving this thread I'm not going to comment further on NS. If it affects the Elks operations or the Michigan Line then yes I will let you know how.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Something should probably be posted in the Ohio forum.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Trackwork on the Kalamazoo branch has made 501 an unpredictable animal the last 2 weeks. Being fall I'm sure the new crossings are going in after the road train passes thru in the early morning. Three Rivers and Constantine have new ones laying along side the ROW now.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Busy pre labor day on the Elk today. Had the road train back and forth, also 501 was working, the 2204 had an Amtrak ballast car work train south of Three Rivers and the stone train just came north with NS 1826 & 4196. Wind carrying limestone dust to the east as it went by.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Todays stone train met 302 at Cowling and 501 at Park all at once, so 3 trains in the plant at the same time. Also 12 Amtrak gondolas on the old main in Three Rivers yard at the end of track at Broadway Street. First time I've seen that in years where they were parked all the way to the end of the track.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like the new company that bought Pioneer is purging some assets. MSO 907 is on the outbound track at 131 for 501 to pick-up tomorrow. That'll only leave 1616 in White Piegon to switch. Not surprising as all Pioneer terminals were told to start cleaning up properties of anything of value. They parked the Fs in Illinois so wonder if Elkhart & Western will be loosing a unit too?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Super Chief wrote:Looks like the new company that bought Pioneer is purging some assets. MSO 907 is on the outbound track at 131 for 501 to pick-up tomorrow. That'll only leave 1616 in White Piegon to switch. Not surprising as all Pioneer terminals were told to start cleaning up properties of anything of value. They parked the Fs in Illinois so wonder if Elkhart & Western will be loosing a unit too?
Thanks for the update.

(Warning: I am going a little off-topic).

Sad to see that the last "Michigan Southern" lettered unit will be leaving. I am grateful to have been able to chase the 907 in Sturgis last fall.

Update: A source has told me that MSO will be getting new power. Likely a lessor(s).
Second Update: Another source has told me that it will be new the power for the Kendallville Terminal, sadly replacing former Ludington and Northern #16 (which is in poor mechanical shape) .
Last edited by NS3322 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Where is the Elkhart & Western Monon division?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:Where is the Elkhart & Western Monon division?
It runs from Monon, Indiana to Monticello, Indiana (about 9 miles). Monticello Farm Services is the lone customer. Power is one former ATSF GP20. Pioneer picked this line up from CSX last year (it is not even listed on the website).

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Between 2 NS grain trains and 2 NS stone trains this week I thought NS had taken the line back. Been very busy with 501 & 302 threading there way south around them and maintenance windows for crossing replacments.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Do the stone trains run with any kind of predictability? I know there is no such thing as a "schedule" but are there any certain days or times that are more likely? Or is it totally random?