GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby MQT1223 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 pm

dave989 wrote:The crossing replacement at 36th St. Southeast has begun. I have not seen the panel track yet but they are hackin the old crossing out like a bad tooth.


Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby Super Chief » Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm

4189,4190 & 4225 southbound all freshly washed with 30 cars for Elkhart.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Three Rivers, Mi.--Indian Rocks Beach,Fl.

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby ~Z~ » Fri May 15, 2020 9:31 pm

MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th?

Eastern. 36th in Grand Rapids is due to be replaced on 5/18, says a sign on 36th near the crossing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com
User avatar
~Z~
Sofa King Admin
 
Posts: 10840
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby MQT1223 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 am

~Z~ wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th?

Eastern. 36th in Grand Rapids is due to be replaced on 5/18, says a sign on 36th near the crossing.


They must be hustling on Eastern then... I don't think they will risk having both blocked at once.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby Raildudes dad » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 am

MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.


Keep in mind the MDOT RR Safety section inspects the crossings on a regular basis. They also will inspect on complainants. Once the crossing gets to an unacceptable level, they issue an order to repair / rebuild. At that point, the RR has no choice.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
 
Posts: 4599
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby dave989 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:11 am

The crossing replacement at 36th St. should be done next week. The panel track has been installed and the rail around the crossing resurfaced with tie replacement and ballast. Just waiting for new pavement or whatever they plan on using to fill in the cavity thats left for filling. I come by here everyday around noon and the signal maintainers were also testing the flashers during this fix.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby MQT1223 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Eastern or 36th? I know that both crossings are coming out but either way that's Good. I will not miss driving over that. Between that Crossing and Madison they were by far the worst in Kent County IMO. Within the next 5 years or so all of the crossings on that stretch will probably be resurfaced or have some work done between faulty electrical or rough surfaces. The amount of money being put into the Hastings Lead is a promising sign for a line that just a few years ago looked for sure like it wouldn't have a future.


Keep in mind the MDOT RR Safety section inspects the crossings on a regular basis. They also will inspect on complainants. Once the crossing gets to an unacceptable level, they issue an order to repair / rebuild. At that point, the RR has no choice.


36th wasn't bad, Eastern was Terrible surface wise. The main driving force from what I've heard directly from the railroad was the crossings did not safely operate if a train was approaching, and while waiting for the funding the railroad kept that portion of the line OOS until the crossings could be fixed.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby dave989 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am

The crossing replacement at Eastern Ave. is completed and now the 36th St. crossing is being torn out.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby dave989 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:18 pm

SD-40 4206 dropped off another load of ballast at 36th and Eastern. Large MOW gathering there.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby MQT1223 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 pm

dave989 wrote:SD-40 4206 dropped off another load of ballast at 36th and Eastern. Large MOW gathering there.


The crossings and track are being leveled through there I'm guessing?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby dave989 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 pm

The new panel track for the new 36th St. crossing has been installed. Just have to fill in the cavity thats left. The tracks around the two crossing looks much better.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby 1TrackMind » Sat May 23, 2020 11:12 am

Grand Elk will be working in GR today, then bringing a train south.
1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread postby dave989 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 am

MOW crews working the 36th St. crossing filling in the cavity from panel track replacement and rehab work. Hoping they are done tomorrow.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x