GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Waddy »

Bus driver was fires

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Removed by user. Too far off-topic. I'd rather talk trains.
Last edited by DaveO on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

DaveO wrote:
Waddy wrote:Bus driver was fires
A certain photographer better find another bridge because the one he was on got burned to the ground.

Trust me, drivers talk with each other when someone is out on a witch hunt.

I accept the Superintendents position.
What do you mean witch hunt? The driver broke the law.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Waddy wrote:What do you mean witch hunt? The driver broke the law.
Proof? Hopefully the superintendent had more proof than what we have seen.

There is no proof given that the lights were activated before the bus proceeded over the crossing. The photographer did confirm to the media that the driver stopped and opened the door before proceeding across the crossing. But the claim that the crossing was activated before the bus began to cross is not claimed or proven. And the photographer confirmed to media that the bus made it across the crossing safely. (I have not seen a report of how long it took after the bus crossed for the slow moving train to reach the crossing.)

No word that the driver was ticketed for their action. Not enough proof for a citation. But enough noise in social media to have a 29 year veteran driver lose their job.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Everyone knows the golden rule, when the money shot counts, one cannot lose focus and have a time stamp on the money shot. I wanna see the train.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Last edited by DaveO on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

DaveO wrote:Fortunately he still has the protection of Amendments V, VI and XIV.

Depending on which retirement plan he was in, he either qualifies for full retirement or is close.

I don't know if their drivers(and him) have union representation. If they do, expect a successful grievance to make sure this guy gets full retirement.
Otherwise a visit to a lawyer would be in order to help him get full retirement.

The Superintendent was in a no-win situation.

If you're wondering, while I worked driving a school bus, drivers(yes, that's plural) were fired for documented rule violations. It does happen, even in a union shop.

And there is still no photographic proof that the driver broke the law. As for personal credible testimony, I hope they found some
How did this even come to attention of the media and school superintendent? Train crew? Photographer?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Well i work for a railroad and i have seen on a couple different occasions where buses have stoped and still gone through flashing lights. I can guarantee you that had i been close enough to get the information i needed i would of turned them in.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Last edited by DaveO on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Waddy wrote:Well i work for a railroad and i have seen on a couple different occasions where buses have stoped and still gone through flashing lights. I can guarantee you that had i been close enough to get the information i needed i would of turned them in.
A forward facing camera could be helpful in those situations. Perhaps not definitive in all situations, but helpful.
DaveO wrote:I had to wait a 15 minutes at a crossing that was a false activation. A crossing with a known history of false activation. So who could I have gotten fired for that?
Letter of the law? Yes. Yet I have seen police officers go around a lowered crossing gate (in Indiana). I don't believe that is what the authors meant when they gave an exception for "with a police officer present".

How long does a driver need to wait before passing a school bus with red overhead lights flashing? Not that a bus would stop for 15 minutes with the lights on ... but if it did, could someone pass? Do not pass means do not pass.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

justalurker66 wrote: How long does a driver need to wait before passing a school bus with red overhead lights flashing? Not that a bus would stop for 15 minutes with the lights on ... but if it did, could someone pass? Do not pass means do not pass.
I passed a bus some years ago driving a commercial vehicle. The bus had a flat front tire and was going nowhere anytime soon. IDK why the bus driver left the overhead reds on. Was I supposed to wait til the bus got a new tire?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Does GDLK have a second local crew working the south end of the railroad? I came across the 4017 and 4009 in Bristol IN last night with a very 501 looking train. I'm used to seeing 501 head south in the morning following 302.

Also made my first police contact of 2018. A MSP Trooper reminded me to use my turn signals (actually curious why I was in Frankie's parking lot).

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

PatAzo wrote:Does GDLK have a second local crew working the south end of the railroad? I came across the 4017 and 4009 in Bristol IN last night with a very 501 looking train. I'm used to seeing 501 head south in the morning following 302.

Also made my first police contact of 2018. A MSP Trooper reminded me to use my turn signals (actually curious why I was in Frankie's parking lot).
503 recrews 501

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Pat for the past month 501 has gotten to TR at noon or later. Can't give you a reason as to why? Different crew call time as maybe 10am. I have seen the GDLK track boom truck going south a lot lately so maybe a maintenance window? Lately 302 around 9 and 501 around noon southbound. 36 cars yesterday over the 25.6 detector. CSX old yellow hoppers mid-train like 8 or so for OMNI Source to scrap in Sturgis.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Going by Co-Alliance in Schoolcraft today 12 anhydrous ammonia tank cars there with another 3 sitting to be spotted at GM siding in Three Rivers. Also Wilbur-Ellis the old Johansens had 4 hoppers (pink) from Potash of Canada on their siding today first I've seen. Also the seed company across the tracks from Co-Alliance had 3 CH's outside and 1 inside. So 501 has decent size trains every weekday. Centerbeams number around 7 to Bristol and emptys back.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

justalurker66 wrote:
Waddy wrote:What do you mean witch hunt? The driver broke the law.
Proof? Hopefully the superintendent had more proof than what we have seen.

There is no proof given that the lights were activated before the bus proceeded over the crossing. The photographer did confirm to the media that the driver stopped and opened the door before proceeding across the crossing. But the claim that the crossing was activated before the bus began to cross is not claimed or proven. And the photographer confirmed to media that the bus made it across the crossing safely. (I have not seen a report of how long it took after the bus crossed for the slow moving train to reach the crossing.)

No word that the driver was ticketed for their action. Not enough proof for a citation. But enough noise in social media to have a 29 year veteran driver lose their job.
There are a lot of questions regarding this, but there are also possible answers we have not been given publically as well.

It was mentioned that a forward looking camera would be important. Many school busses now have been equipped with the camera systems as well, mainly in order to notify police of drivers illegally passing schools busses or creating a dangerous situation for the bus. They also likely have interior camera and sound recording. These camera videos likely would not be released publically but could go to the school administration for them to use to make a determination regarding the driver's employment status.

Do I think the driver in this situation should have been terminated? No, I don't, based just on the information we have been given and the assumption that the lights were on when he arrived. I see no indication that the bus driver actually out children in imminent danger given all the circumstances we see and know of. Should he have been suspended or otherwise punished by the administration? I would say that is reasonable, but termination to me is extreme and likely does occur in part due to the social media aspect of this.

I will add this however. Were there other issues with the drivers past that also impact the decision. Has this occurred previously and social media wasn't made aware of it.

Finally, in regards to union representation. If he is actually an employee of the school district, then yes, he does likely have union representation. If he is a contract employee, like most districts have gone to for transportation services, he likely has no representation and is a completely at-will employer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

DaveO wrote:Removed by user. Too far off-topic. I'd rather talk trains.
Me too.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

TV8 now showing dash cam FROM THE PLAINWELL BUS showing the lights flashing upon approach. Bus stops, opens door and gives a look, then proceeds across with the lights flashing. Plain as day in Plainwell. So spare the messenger that turned him or her in. Had I been on the train and saw same I would have done the same.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Message removed by user
Last edited by DaveO on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

DaveO wrote:Guilty. He pulled over. Guess he realized that was a career ending mistake.

Too bad he didn't have the same protection the pilots that landed on the taxiway at the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport last December 29 have.
Can't use the "black boxes" against them.

Unequal justice for all. The American way.

Back to trains again.
http://www.khq.com/story/37231236/elect ... al-airport Runway lights out of service, taxiway lights working. Should award them for saving fuel by cutting the taxi short..."Hey! Look! We're at the terminal already!"
Curb Your Enthusiasm.