7-11-14 Charlotte Southern Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

7-11-14 Charlotte Southern Update

Unread post by Larry G »

Just posting an unusual observation on the Dinner Train. For at least the last two days the dinner train has been setting on the main, shut down, non running, by the Fulton Lumber Yard between two city street crossings.

This is very curious as it is always parked on the run around track, plugged into current with a shore line similar to an RV to keep the refrigeration and/or heat on, between excursions.......

Anyone have a heads up here? Could the RR be withdrawing the train set off this stub line?

Schedule shows a run in August on webpage as of earlier today.

Any knowledge out there??? Thanks
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 7-11-14 Charlotte Southern Update

Unread post by wyrickj »

As much as I'd be sad to see the old NYC line be completely gone I am not surprised if the dinner train was done. I did the dinner train last summer just for experience and the cars were beautifully restored but the price was just a tad expensive for the 2 or so miles it went (not counting the many times it moves back & forth) and the food was not that good. They don't even go even remotely near M50 anymore as I thought they did still but not cross M50. I still enjoyed it but I am not sure if I'd do it again because it's just too short and the food was not that good for the $ they charged. Maybe if they rebuilt to say Vermontville and offered more scenic views other then buildings and a hospital I'd try it again as I know between there and Vermontville is kinda scenic along the right of way. I know of course rebuilding is not an option but just saying it would offer a much better experience for me atleast if it was longer and more scenic.
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Larry G wrote:Schedule shows a run in August on webpage as of earlier today.
Schedule also shows a run later today, July 12.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

If you get a chance to, I'd highly recommend the dinner train in Blissfield, the food is top notch, the train ride is decent and the entertrainment is great!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Update from Saturday: happened to drive through Charlotte again today about 2:00. Train was backed into the normal loading area west of depot. Crew in RR pick up truck were working on locomotive. Van with catering markings was backed up to kitchen car. Assume the train went out Saturday night per schedule.

Still was an odd look earlier in the week with train not running and not plugged in sitting out on main. Will see if it's back in normal location next trip by.

Thanks!

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Click on Thumbnail to see larger picture from today.
After the events of Saturday I happened to pass by today and found the train set returned to the previous location I referred to in the original post on this thread. Perhaps track work has been scheduled?? Still a mystery as to why it's not plugged in as normal routine over the years in operation.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I wish they would move the thing to their other property over on the JAIL at least it could go somewhere then. Heck they could even tie in with the reporting marks and have the show be about escaped convicts hi-jacking the train from the Jackson Prison...
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

As of yesterday, July 18, the train set was plugged back in at its normal location. Never saw any track work etc that caused for the curious move to the main. Next scheduled trip comes in mid August.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

I have seen them fuel their locomotive at the alternate location you mention, so is it possible that they parked it there so that it could be fueled? Makes sense that the hospital might not want a big fuel tank truck sitting in their parking lot next to those huge oxygen tanks there.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

NYCMan wrote:I have seen them fuel their locomotive at the alternate location you mention, so is it possible that they parked it there so that it could be fueled? Makes sense that the hospital might not want a big fuel tank truck sitting in their parking lot next to those huge oxygen tanks there.
That's a possible solution I suppose. The old fuel tank was just east of the old NYC depot and it's gone today. I have a winter photo of crew using it to fuel loco.

See pic of the tank: http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... play_media

The only thing that would counter this is without power for the time it was unplugged from its shoreline the refrigeration system or other electrical fed appliances were down because they did not run the generator car the first time I noticed it.

It will be interesting if this happens again in the future.