NKP 765

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

NKP 765

Unread post by j_c1987 »

In July NKP 765 will be running from Allen park to Ft Wayne. Will NKP 765 Make its way to Detroit through the Detroit-Chicago Line?

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NKP 765

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

I would think it will come up the old Wabash line to Detroit...

Time will tell.

John.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

Since the SP #4449 came through Niles in 2009 I was hoping that the NKP #765 would too.
Last edited by j_c1987 on Tue May 27, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

That would be cool... Let's see... It lives in Fort Wayne, but was recently in Chicago. If it comes home to Fort Wayne before it heads off to Owosso, I would bet on the Wabash route... If it stays in Chicago, there are going to be a lot of happy foamers on the old NYC to Detroit.

Keep your fingers crossed.

John.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

Bummer! I guess its going to make its way back home from Chicago on a NS employee excursion. :( I didn't know the Ft wayne railroad historical society owns it so I look up their website.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

From the word I have that is more or less unofficial, 765 will make it's run to Owosso for TrainExpo 2014 around June 17th-18th. It will have the same consist that will be on the "Detroit Arrow" excursions, including the 2 IP full domes GN "Prairie View" and ex-ATSF "Sky View" as this has been confirmed thru the TE2014 site, in regards to consist availability for the 1225/765 Alma excursions. The run to Oakwood Yard from Owosso is likely to take place the week of 4th of July, my educated guess is probably Thursday July 3rd, and more than likely a morning-mid afternoon affair, as traffic except for the few CP trains, will be low. There is uncertainty as to whether the 765 will lead the entire consist south to Milan and then the NS will then provide a diesel for the reverse move to Oakwood, or if the train will be towed with the cars first and 765 on the north end of the train, which would allow the 765 to roll into Oakwood leading, and in proper direction for the employee excursions that weekend to Toledo, without having to be turned.

A few questions remain...

1) The timing of the shuttle moves to Owosso and Oakwood and position of the locomotive on the run to Oakwood.
2) Frequency of the trains running the employee excursions to Toledo the 5th and 6th. (As far as I can tell it's going to be a one each day affair)
3) If and Where the train will be turned. Airline Yard and Ft. Wayne will be no issue, but the only wye in Detroit near Oakwood is the Foreman Wye and that is partially owned by CSX. The only other way is to run north on the Shared Assets to Delray, and with a diesel on the rear (west end) tow the train back into Oakwood which then allows 765 to lead both ways. If the train is wyed either way, the moves will have to involve with the tower at Delray, which hasn't seen steam since atleast the early 90's, making it a rare shot.

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Another question I haven't seen brought up: On which main will the train to Toledo be running? At some points the two NS tracks to Toledo are almost a half-mile apart, maybe more, making the possibility of following the wrong line a very real one.

As for turning the train in Detroit, where were the excursions in the 80s and early 90s turned?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Andrew, the 80's and 90's excursions used the Foreman Wye. Although with CSX and their anti-steam policies (for whatever the reason maybe) might prevent that from being used.

And the NS mainline thru down river isn't too hard to follow. If you get on near River Rouge and follow it thru to FN and then to Monroe, 765 could be easily photographed at a few locations while maintaining the 70mph speed limit on I-75. West Jefferson isn't the best option to get it multiple times. My thoughts include something at or near Fort Street, Wyandotte (NYC Depot), and then if I can get to 75 in a good amount of time, racing south to Monroe, and probably Wagon Works one day, and then filling the next day in with spots I didn't get the previous day.

BRgroat
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BRgroat »

I'm glad I know this; I'm hoping to chase it and I think it will be easier with this thread. :)

sp4380
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sp4380 »

Any idea of the schedule for the Toledo trips?

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Steam Central believes that the Saturday and Sunday trips will begin at 9 AM.

NKP 765 is supposed to go south from Owosso on Thursday.

John.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The can also wye the train from Ecorse Jct to Delray, down to YD and back up to Ecorse Jct.

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Does anyone know if the 765 will have any speed restrictions on the old Wabash line, when she is pulling the "Detroit Arrow" this weekend? Will she be allowed to run at 60 mph, or is there still at 40 mph restriction that was imposed in the late 1980s on all steam power?
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

NYC3001 wrote:Does anyone know if the 765 will have any speed restrictions on the old Wabash line, when she is pulling the "Detroit Arrow" this weekend? Will she be allowed to run at 60 mph, or is there still at 40 mph restriction that was imposed in the late 1980s on all steam power?
It is still 40.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Where do they get engineers that are both qualified for steam and qualified for the route?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:Where do they get engineers that are both qualified for steam and qualified for the route?
I thought they always just use the engineer and fireman from the steam group and get a pilot or two...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:
hoborich wrote:Where do they get engineers that are both qualified for steam and qualified for the route?
I thought they always just use the engineer and fireman from the steam group and get a pilot or two...
FWRHS engineer and fireman with an NS pilot crew. Wouldn't surprise me if someone like an RFE or Trainmaster road along, too.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

What is the next excursion, or employee special for the 765 after Detroit?
Yours truly,

Ron

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

According to my scanner, NS 953 the "Detroit Arrow" will be making a special stop at the depot in Milan, Michigan.
Yours truly,

Ron

NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Update: NS 953 will NOT be stopping at the depot in Milan, Michigan.
Yours truly,

Ron