Radio use by GLC

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Radio use by GLC

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Several years ago I was working in two way radio service, and used to hear TSBY talking to the Cadillac dispatcher. This led me to start watching train activity in the Traverse City area. At the time I didn't know what rail fanning was. I recently caught the bug again as computer message boards make hobbies like this easier. So I fired up the scanner and haven't heard a whisper from GLC. Do they still dispatch trains by radio, or use radios at all?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Radio use by GLC

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That far north on GLC, likely the only time you'll hear them on the radio is when they're switching.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Actually, I do on occasion hear GLC radio talk between the Owosso dispatch and various crews depending on the weather. They have a repeater in Elmira, so sometimes I can get signals bouncing off that repeater (I live on the west side on TC).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote:Actually, I do on occasion hear GLC radio talk between the Owosso dispatch and various crews depending on the weather. They have a repeater in Elmira, so sometimes I can get signals bouncing off that repeater (I live on the west side on TC).
Cool, can you post the Freq? Mine must be out of date. I'm on the East side of TC slightly closer to the Elmira tower.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

RadioReference says 160.575 mHz road 161.100 mHz yard.