Traverse City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Traverse City

Unread post by TCBrent »

Doesn't look like the GLC has been in tc yet this week. Noticed somebody pushed a bank about 8' tall right into the row north of the S. Airport crossing coming into town. Seems like that might be a problem haha. Would be great to see more biz in town. I'm sure the guys at GLC wish the same thing. Glad it's still here at least.
Last edited by TCBrent on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Traverse City

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TCBrent wrote: Noticed somebody pushed a bank about 8' tall right into the row east of the S. Airport crossing coming into town.
Can't wait for all that snow to end up right back on the parking lot or drive of the people who had it pushed there!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Back in the early 2000's both TSBY and the local Traverse City government made a big push to get more rail business. That's when Integrity Iron and Steel started shipping again (and became the largest local shipper), Cherry Growers started shipping to warehouses out east by rail again, and Kellogg's got a carload or two of particle board. But by around 2006 Cherry Growers stopped shipping by rail except for a handful of cars per month to a military warehouse in TX (IIRC), Integrity was bought by Rifkin who immediately trucked all their scrap to Saginaw for processing and loading into rail cars, and Kellogg's went out of business. Cherry Growers stopped shipping by rail in 2009 when their only rail customer changed the spec from glass to plastic containers and CG lost the contract (they only use glass containers and have a sister company in Manistee that processes using plastic).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I suspect a PLOW to be taking care of that today...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GLC 392 wrote:I suspect a PLOW to be taking care of that today...
Do you have this on good authority or are you guessing?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Good Authority, it should of been working the north end today.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I checked the crossing at South Airport Road and as of about 1330, they had not been through.

Looking South from the corner of Woodmere and Premier Sts. someone has pushed a large (very) pile of snow onto the ROW from an adjacent property. My estimate is that the pile is taller than a Russell snow plow.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Yeah that's the same bank I mentioned. Pretty high isn't it? Haha

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Posted by IL John on 1/30/2014, 2:51 pm

Plowing the snowbanks at crossings. Normally they do this on the early morning of a train coming into town (if needed), so being this late, unless a late train is coming today, I suspect a train tomorrow. FYI for those with cameras...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traverse City- phone call

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

I too noticed the pile when I crossed the tracks on Park. When I got home, I immediately called GLC in Cadillac and informed them. Ended up only getting in touch with the loco shed and talked to a very helpful employee there. He was to call the track gang and let them know. Told him also that the piles were too big for the loco's pilots to handle. MAYBE THEY'LL SEND THE BIG RUSSELL! Well, good deed done......
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

If somebody could film that being plowed and share I would be happy...

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Still no train into tc. And the big pile remains......

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Gone now!