I take it MI-Train is dead?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

I take it MI-Train is dead?

Unread post by Beal99 »

Engine is sitting in Proviso, all logos and everything torn off.

I know some of you were supporters, but I never saw this working on that corridor, imho

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: I take it MI-Train is dead?

Unread post by railohio »

Locomotive was for demonstration only and has been returned to the lessor. SEMCOG and MDOT are still working on the commuter project.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

ahhhh, got it. How does the Detroit issue affect this, or does it not?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Beal99 wrote:Engine is sitting in Proviso, all logos and everything torn off.

I know some of you were supporters, but I never saw this working on that corridor, imho
I liked the paint, scheme, sad to see it not happen. Anyone know where it might be going?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The engine hasn't been in Michigan for a couple of years. The leaser took it back and it has been working on AMT in Montreal until very recently. Not sure where it's currently headed.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MI-Train is very much alive, and I feel that they are (sort of) getting close to starting trains. Of course with the speed they have been going at with this project it still could e a while..

There is supposed to be another display of the Mi train equipment this August at the Ypsilanti heritage festival. The Ypsilanti model railroad club (myself and conrailman5 being 2 members on this board) will be sharing a building with them. If you get a chance stop by check out the layout and the train. Dates are August Friday 16th- Sunday 18th

*if they do not have a train there they will at least have a display in the Ypsilanti freight house. I will post an update later on when I know for sure if there will be a display train or not.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:MI-Train is very much alive, and I feel that they are (sort of) getting close to starting trains. Of course with the speed they have been going at with this project it still could e a while.
At this time the only people who have benefitted are the consultants and lawyers :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:MI-Train is very much alive, and I feel that they are (sort of) getting close to starting trains. Of course with the speed they have been going at with this project it still could e a while..

There is supposed to be another display of the Mi train equipment this August at the Ypsilanti heritage festival. The Ypsilanti model railroad club (myself and conrailman5 being 2 members on this board) will be sharing a building with them. If you get a chance stop by check out the layout and the train. Dates are August Friday 16th- Sunday 18th

*if they do not have a train there they will at least have a display in the Ypsilanti freight house. I will post an update later on when I know for sure if there will be a display train or not.
When they were at the Mayor's Green Fair in A2. One of the workers there told me that they were going to have a car there at the Heritage Fest, mind you it'll be a couple months since that & things could have changed.

Have you heard if they're going to have a press conference before the fest? Either way I'll be there in an official capacity from my work.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

They will be in the freight house for sure that's all I know, like I said I will post when I find out! :)

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MQT3001 wrote:
Beal99 wrote:Engine is sitting in Proviso, all logos and everything torn off.

I liked the paint, scheme, sad to see it not happen. Anyone know where it might be going?
This looks to be the answer: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 4&nseq=239
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

I remember when the first renderings of the locomotive and cars was a photoshopped metro link train. Seems to have come full circle :lol:

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Story i understand is that 2014-2015 will be the start up time for Mi-Train using Amtrak power at first until leased power can be found.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Mi train was supposed to be open for opening days of tigers games, then just special events, and now looking like "next year" again.

I have a feeling they might go with some Amtrak P32-8's for power. I believe I have read that Amtrak is looking to retire them by 2015, so getting about 6-8 of the 18 (or so) that they have wouldn't be bad.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Mi train was supposed to be open for opening days of tigers games, then just special events, and now looking like "next year" again.

I have a feeling they might go with some Amtrak P32-8's for power. I believe I have read that Amtrak is looking to retire them by 2015, so getting about 6-8 of the 18 (or so) that they have wouldn't be bad.
Not sure where they're gonna find spares... With the 2 or 3 already in rotation running with the "Pennsylvanian" almost daily. Any possibility of extras is diminished, unless they'll wait til those new locomotives come online that were supposedly purchased for the Michigan line along with the Bi-level cars.