Engine fire at Kent City

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Engine fire at Kent City

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Apparently there was an engine fire in Kent City that shut down portions of downtown:
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2602 ... -Kent-City

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Engine fire at Kent City

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Rusco Road isn't downtown Kent City :roll: but it looks like 3839 is toast :( It had an electrical fire on the GRE in the late 90s'.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Is that the GRE loco from Muskegon? If it is that's unfortunate. I know a lot of electrical upgrades were done on it in the past.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

EWRice wrote:Is that the GRE loco from Muskegon? If it is that's unfortunate. I know a lot of electrical upgrades were done on it in the past.
Yup...I think this may be it for her. :(
Nick

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Big Red :(
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Didnt they rebuild/replace the prime mover in her recently? IMHO, that might be her saving grace. But Im sure the red and white will go. Charcoal black doesnt go well. :P
Nick

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Like Eric said, 3839 was basically completely rewired a few years ago in addition to receiving a new prime mover. The MS guys always used to say it was "basically a brand new engine".

I wonder what the issue was? 3839 worked plenty hard on the MS often enough hauling some large Z627s up Henry St hill and out of Muskegon, among other things. Maybe it was just a freak thing? Either way, I hope it can be repaired.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:Like Eric said, 3839 was basically completely rewired a few years ago in addition to receiving a new prime mover. The MS guys always used to say it was "basically a brand new engine".

I wonder what the issue was? 3839 worked plenty hard on the MS often enough hauling some large Z627s up Henry St hill and out of Muskegon, among other things. Maybe it was just a freak thing? Either way, I hope it can be repaired.
Thats what I thought. Didnt know she was rewired, just remember her getting the new prime mover. But I hope shell be back too.
Nick

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Maybe the new wiring got too hot or hot oil leaked and caught fire cuz of the heat of the engine? Those things do happen,particularly on older locomotives. But this engine as stated has been rebuilt recently with new wiring and prime mover so Either way it's a freak accident that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy lol.

Maybe the alternator bit the bullet? That wasn't changed out according to what this forum just said unpess that's considered part of the prime mover
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Dont get to worked up boys and girls. It wasnt the wiring. It was something else. MQT's crack shop forces will have it back together and running in no time.
Bill

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

How recently were the electrical and prime mover worked on? What was going on with this repair when I took this shot in June of 2007?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 5&nseq=310

Last edited by J T on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That picture was during the repairs in question, Jim.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Raildudes dad wrote:Rusco Road isn't downtown Kent City :roll: but it looks like 3839 is toast :( It had an electrical fire on the GRE in the late 90s'.
I think the GR news crews are used to cities with a larger diameter :wink:

I've filmed at Rusco Rd during the last 2 Santa Trains, hope the firefighters were not swallowed by the ditch like I was last year! :lol:

What were the circumstances behind the 90s fire?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

I bet you if there was a " touch this button " sign above the dynamic brake handle,no one would've used it! Lol :D

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Doktor No wrote:Dynamic brakes were disabled but someone enabled them....and they threw sparkage into the airfilters and viola! FIRE!
THE SWITCH IS OFF FOR A REASON LEAVE IT OFF.
Oh wellllllll

BURN BABY BURN!!!

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Here is my question: why would you use dynamic brakes on a shortline with what I'm guessing is 25mph track max(do correct me if I'm wrong on track speed) as regular brakes would've done just fine?

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

JStryker722 wrote:Here is my question: why would you use dynamic brakes on a shortline with what I'm guessing is 25mph track max(do correct me if I'm wrong on track speed) as regular brakes would've done just fine?
Thought it was a touch higher than 25. Also that is some hilly territory we are talking about. There is a nice dip at Grant if ya haven't seen it. Nothing amazing but still a nice dip.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

tsinoms wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:Here is my question: why would you use dynamic brakes on a shortline with what I'm guessing is 25mph track max(do correct me if I'm wrong on track speed) as regular brakes would've done just fine?
Thought it was a touch higher than 25. Also that is some hilly territory we are talking about. There is a nice dip at Grant if ya haven't seen it. Nothing amazing but still a nice dip.
I think it is 40, but I'm not sure. Kent City is slower, however. There are some nice hills, the down and up grades around Newaygo into the Muskegon River Basin comes to mind. There is also a dip down to Half Moon Lake, then back up around the orchards, before dropping again into Kent City, where oh by the way they have to slow down.

Go to the 3-minute mark, and you can see the train drop into one of the dips just north of Grant. Pretty representative of the line.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

tsinoms wrote:
My understanding is railroads are using dynamics for braking more frequently and in place of the regular brake system because it saves wear and tear on the brake pads and some other parts.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

You can only use so much air brakes before you piss away all your air and BAM NO BRAKES! Our run thru NS power down here has extended range dynamics and you can bring the train down to pretty much a stop with those only using a little air to finally stop the train.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.