Michigan G&W Loco Roster News, Updates & Info Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: Michigan G&W Loco Roster & Pre-G&W Paint Lists

Unread post by CAT345C »

One if the PRLX SD60s are supposed to be coming this way for testing on the Michigan roads. Not sure what line it will go to first.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CAT345C wrote:One if the PRLX SD60s are supposed to be coming this way for testing on the Michigan roads. Not sure what line it will go to first.
SD60s, huh? That'd be cool mixed in with the SD40-2s on MQT. Sorry, foamer in me would love that sort of common EMD power.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Shiny new Marquette Rail 3407 is 3rd of 4 units on a train waiting to get into CSX Stanley Yard in Toledo on 8/26/14. I'd expect it'll be on a future Q335 depending on how long it sits at the fuel pad in Stanley once it gets there.

Michael

Edit: now with pictures! :)

ImageMarquette Rail 3407 by Michael D Harding, on Flickr

ImageNorth end of Stanley Yard by Michael D Harding, on Flickr
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Michigan G&W Loco Roster News, Updates & Info Thread

Added the 3407, lists updated, etc

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

OTVR 3034 [GP40-2LW], G&W Paint w/ OTVR Logos, added to the HESR. Updated accordingly.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

The MQT 2040 has at least temporarily been reassigned to the GRE...appears the 24 is having issues.

Prolly time to mention that the MQT 2004-2008 are now the 2040-2044. Only the 2005 has not be confirmed yet. All have had their old cab numbers patched and number boards replaced, but remain otherwise untouched...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

[quote="MQT3001"]The MQT 2040 has at least temporarily been reassigned to the GRE...appears the 24 is having issues.quote]

Sitting on the interchange track at the GRE.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:The MQT 2040 has at least temporarily been reassigned to the GRE...appears the 24 is having issues.
Sitting on the interchange track at the GRE.
As I first reported in the TLU ;)

BTW - not changing the wiki entries just yet as I'm assuming this will just be temporary.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

MQT3001 wrote:The MQT 2040 has at least temporarily been reassigned to the GRE...appears the 24 is having issues.

Prolly time to mention that the MQT 2004-2008 are now the 2040-2044. Only the 2005 has not be confirmed yet. All have had their old cab numbers patched and number boards replaced, but remain otherwise untouched...
2005 is now 2041 as of early last week.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

cnw8835 wrote:

2005 is now 2041 as of early last week.
Sweet...I knew it had to have been done already but wasn't 100% sure :)

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT 2040 is on loan to GRE, I think the MMRR24 is getting a new traction motor. One was sitting on a flatbed at the Ann St yard this afternoon.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:One was sitting on a flatbed at the Ann St yard this afternoon.
So that is what that was.

It does make me wonder about the future of the 24...if it has a bad motor and they're planning on getting rid of it I don't think they would have gone as far as getting a whole new one. Perhaps I'm just an ignorant railfan, but I'm surprised that the MQT 3000 or even one of the GP38-2s hasn't been assigned to the GRE, seeing as sometimes they need a bit more power, and reports are that they seem to be looking to get rid of the 24, at least from the GRE. Seems to me the GP10 would be the best fit, giving them a little more power (AFAIK...not very educated on those rebuilt '10s) but not more than they'll need for the foreseeable future like a GP38-2 would.

Thoughts?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:One was sitting on a flatbed at the Ann St yard this afternoon.

It does make me wonder about the future of the 24...if it has a bad motor and they're planning on getting rid of it I don't think they would have gone as far as getting a whole new one. Perhaps I'm just an ignorant railfan, but I'm surprised that the MQT 3000 or even one of the GP38-2s hasn't been assigned to the GRE, seeing as sometimes they need a bit more power, and reports are that they seem to be looking to get rid of the 24, at least from the GRE. Seems to me the GP10 would be the best fit, giving them a little more power (AFAIK...not very educated on those rebuilt '10s) but not more than they'll need for the foreseeable future like a GP38-2 would.

Thoughts?

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT3001 wrote:

Thoughts?
As power starved as the MQT is, I doubt they'd be sending anything to the GRE anytime soon. Rumor mill has them starting 2x a day interchange with CSX soon... Sand co supposedly to start generating 45 cars a day out of Ludington... i've heard rumor that they've tried to sell the 24 to the CPMY, but I can't confirm that that is anything more than foamer fantasy.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:As power starved as the MQT is, I doubt they'd be sending anything to the GRE anytime soon. Rumor mill has them starting 2x a day interchange with CSX soon... Sand co supposedly to start generating 45 cars a day out of Ludington... i've heard rumor that they've tried to sell the 24 to the CPMY, but I can't confirm that that is anything more than foamer fantasy.
Impressive! Prospects abound around here currently for just about everybody...CSX, MQT, GRE & GDLK. :D

I know we've previously discussed the barriers to such a setup, but I wonder if any significant thought has been given to merging the GRE and southern MQT local switching operations? Such as perhaps running a local out of Fuller to service everything at least as far as Sparta/Kent City and also serving Lowell & Ada?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 on Oct 28 wrote:The MQT 2040 has at least temporarily been reassigned to the GRE...appears the 24 is having issues.
Well sounds like it went back to MQT this morning, so a temporary loan it was. Simple footnote inserted where needed

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Saw this on Flickr today, appears the 2041 (ex-2005) got a little extra nose treatment:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66353741@N07/15584720991

Also, the history on the 3407 is FURX 3017, CR 6257

ComstockParkrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ComstockParkrailfan »

Hey all, I've been a long time visitor but this is my first post here. I enjoy reading everyone's threads as there is a ton of awesome information!

MQT is getting a new customer in Comstock Park. Quality Liquid Feed is building a new plant on Comstock Park Drive, just north of Weekes Lumbers' spur. This new plant will feature 2 sidings, and they will be receiving bulk molasses and livestock feed ingredients. I will try to get over there this weekend to snap a few pictures, as they have a good portion of grading done, and have some rail already on the ground. This is a very large tank farm, and will undoubtedly get a lot of cars on a weekly basis.

Brian

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the news, Brian!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Welcome!

I saw that going in but I thought it might be another micro-brewery or something...cool to hear it is going to be rail service.