Michigan G&W Loco Roster News, Updates & Info Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Michigan G&W Loco Roster News, Updates & Info Thread

Unread post by J T »

I really doubt anyone would build a new brewery that close to Perrin. It would be quite a jerk move if that were the case. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ComstockParkrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ComstockParkrailfan »

The property is owned by the same person that owns Michigan Rail & Storage. In fact, most of the vacant property is owned by the same person on that street. When I reviewed the site plan, the two tracks were quite long (800ft IIRC). Good for the area, good for the RR for getting new customers.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Couple things:

1. It would not surprise me if #24 did end up at the Coopersville and Marne at some point. I am sure that 50 tonner is not an adequate back up locomotive for the 7014 when it needs work done.

2. MQT3001, hows the Santa Train gonna shape up this year with all the new paint scheme (assuming G&W are still going to keep the Santa Train)? Is the caboose and boxcar that have been used in years past going to be repainted for the event or is the repainting not scheduled until later? Not much is wrong with the current paint but we all know how self-conscious the G&W is about their image.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ComstockParkrailfan wrote:The property is owned by the same person that owns Michigan Rail & Storage. In fact, most of the vacant property is owned by the same person on that street. When I reviewed the site plan, the two tracks were quite long (800ft IIRC). Good for the area, good for the RR for getting new customers.
Drove by today, construction not even done (no parking lot!) and they already have a couple tanks on their spur!

Spur leaves the mainline just north of Weekes' switch, and parallels the mainline. Split-rail derail. Runs past the plant. Then there is a north-facing left-hand switch that leads to a parallel spur to the east of the main one, alongside the building. It dead-ends into one of those big bumper posts. The spur itself continues north, and re-joins the mainline just north of the Michigan Rail switch, after another split-rail derail.

That will give MQT four active customers in just a quarter mile. From south to north: Harris Rebar (fmr Ambassador Steel), Weekes Lumber, Quality Liquid Feed, and Michigan Rail & Storage.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ComstockParkrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ComstockParkrailfan »

MQT3001,

They have been in and out of there quite a bit the last week, as they are offloading product. Looks like they heat the cars with steam to get the molasses to flow. They have a lot of storage tank space there, the two largest tanks on the west side of the bldg are for molasses, which will all come by rail. I'm not sure what else will come in by rail, but judging by the size of the plant, they can hold a lot of product. I'm glad to see all the inbound loads into those customers between 6 & 7 Mile.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT 3391 and NREX 3181 have both left the MQT Roster. Will update the listings when their destination is revealed.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

MQT3001 wrote:MQT 3391 and NREX 3181 have both left the MQT Roster. Will update the listings when their destination is revealed.
Heard MQT 3391 is heading to HESR, and looks like ISRR 3044/3045 are heading there too.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

iKJames wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:MQT 3391 and NREX 3181 have both left the MQT Roster. Will update the listings when their destination is revealed.

Heard MQT 3391 is heading to HESR, and looks like ISRR 3044/3045 are heading there too.

Here's the train with the three locos for Huron & EasternISRR 3045, ISRR 3044, MQT 3391 (photo by PSK8901): http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/PSK89 ... q.jpg.html There will soon be lots of
Orange on the HESR!!!! :|
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Updated the listings with the ISRR and MQT units. I'm guessing, then, 3181 is probably heading there, too, but I'll change that when, and if, it occurs.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Updated the listings with the ISRR and MQT units. I'm guessing, then, 3181 is probably heading there, too, but I'll change that when, and if, it occurs.
No.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

NREX 3181 is supposed to be going to someplace, maybe the GLC for turbo replacment, then to the HESR. thats what i'm told anyways.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

patrick wrote:NREX 3181 is supposed to be going to someplace, maybe the GLC for turbo replacment, then to the HESR. thats what i'm told anyways.
Not what the waybill shows. It's in Chicago it appears.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Saw NREX 5418 sitting in Wyoming Yard. Looks like it's leaving MQT. It arrived 4-20-15, so it makes sense if the lease was a year, but moot point if not.

All units on MQT are now actual MQT units now, only the second time in history. It was briefly for a time before until NREX 5418 and 3181 showed up last year.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

KRR 3805 is now at the GRE

ImageKRR 3805 by MQT3001, on Flickr

First page and wiki updated...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:KRR 3805 is now at the GRE

ImageKRR 3805 by MQT3001, on Flickr

First page and wiki updated...
There is a crazy (In GRE terms) amount of power up there right now. I wonder how long until 3885 and 24 depart to head to Holland and on the MS.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT3001 wrote:Saw NREX 5418 sitting in Wyoming Yard. Looks like it's leaving MQT. It arrived 4-20-15, so it makes sense if the lease was a year, but moot point if not.

All units on MQT are now actual MQT units now, only the second time in history. It was briefly for a time before until NREX 5418 and 3181 showed up last year.
It arrived when?

If it left MQT at the same time 3391 did, is it possible CSX is leasing it now, since it apparently didn't follow 3391 east?
~ Charles W.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Saw NREX 5418 sitting in Wyoming Yard. Looks like it's leaving MQT. It arrived 4-20-15, so it makes sense if the lease was a year, but moot point if not.

It arrived when?

If it left MQT at the same time 3391 did, is it possible CSX is leasing it now, since it apparently didn't follow 3391 east?
It arrived in April of 2014. One year lease. It was returned to NREX.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

It arrived when?

It arrived in April of 2014. One year lease. It was returned to NREX.
Yeah, meant to say 2014

MQT 3391 went to the HESR...and is in routine service there.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I saw NREX 5418 at the BRC diesel shop from the hump while yarding my train on Tuesday morning.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

KRR 3805 to MQT, 1216 has left the MS for Georgia.

The CRE 3885 was moved to the GRE over winter, for the record