Last Days of Passinger service in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
n8fau15
Railroadfan...fan

Last Days of Passinger service in Michigan

Unread post by n8fau15 »

I know the obvious that AMTRAK ended 99.9% of freight roads running passenger service in 1971.

In Saginaw I was told that Bee Liner Service was ended in the early 1960's on the NYC. So, when did service end on the PM and GTW?

The only date I know of is that passenger service from Hemlock to Saginaw ended on the PM in 1940.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: Last Days of Passinger service in Michigan

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

See the "Historical Q&A" link titled "April 30, 1971" for some information.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GTW ran passenger service until Amtrak started. They operated commuter service between Pontiac and Detroit (approximately 3 each way per day) until around 1974. They had Toronto-Chicago trains and a Detroit-Chicago train right up until Amtrak. GTW's passenger service history is a book untoitself.

GTW's last passenger train from Bay City was a mixed train and ended around 1955ish.
Last edited by AARR on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

I believe C&O ran CHI-GR and the Muskegon stub up until A-day. Not sure about the DET-GR segment.

Russ Hill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Russ Hill »

AARR wrote:GTW ran passenger service until Amtrak started. They operated commuter service between Pontiac and Detroit (approximately 3 each way per day) until around 1974. They had Toronto-Chicago trains and a Detroit-Chicago train right up until Amtrak. GTW's passenger service history is a book untoitself.

GTW's last passenger train from Bay City was a mixed train and ended around 1955ish.
SEMTA took over the GTW commuter operation in 1977. The commuters were discontinued in 1983.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

C&O/PM ran CHI-GRR, GRR-DET & HOL-MUS right up to A-Day. I still have the GR Press clippings of the lead-up to A-Day-- "Of Gaety & Gloom" was one headline. Lots of pictures.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

tadman wrote:I believe C&O ran CHI-GR and the Muskegon stub up until A-day. Not sure about the DET-GR segment.
All C&O Michigan trains made their last runs on April 30, 1971, along with B&O's "Cincinnatian" #53/54 (Detroit-Cincinnati) which ran on C&O Detroit-Plymouth-Toledo as C&O #39/40, coaches only. A note in the April, 1971, Official Guide for B&O 53/54 says "Food and beverages may be purchased at the Toledo Station during station stop."

The other C&O Michigan trains were #8/9 Chicago-Grand Rapids/Muskegon; #11,12,14,15 between GRR-Detroit; and #46/47 Detroit-Plymouth-Toledo-Columbus-Huntington, WV connection to the "George Washington" to Washington DC. All Michigan trains were coaches only.

At the end, the Plymouth station saw 6 passenger trains every day and 8 on weekends (#46/47 ran Fri-Sat-Sun only).