West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by J T »

Waddy wrote:Would be kind of neat to see a shortline take over the hamilton branch. Looks like it could have some potential and im sure some of those businesses with spurs do not currently see rail service due to class ones having higher rates.
Which spurs exactly are you referring to?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There used to be a few spurs in the Holland area. I haven't checked in a while to see if they are still there.
J T wrote:
Waddy wrote:Would be kind of neat to see a shortline take over the hamilton branch. Looks like it could have some potential and im sure some of those businesses with spurs do not currently see rail service due to class ones having higher rates.
Which spurs exactly are you referring to?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

CSX owns the Hamilton Branch toa point just south of the 196 overpass. There are several spurs, many of which are active, north of this point on the south side of Holland and in the township. Y121 switches this part of the branch most every day. South of 196, there are a few warehouse type facilities without rail access but nothing south of that that I'm aware of until you get to Hamilton - just rolling ag land.

Speaking of Hamilton, last Thursday there were just 2 covered hoppers at CHS.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:CSX owns the Hamilton Branch to a point just south of the 196 overpass. There are several spurs, many of which are active, north of this point on the south side of Holland and in the township. Y121 switches this part of the branch most every day.
Right. So I'm not sure what part of the Hamilton branch he was referring to that he'd like to see a shortline take over.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are no intact spurs on the portion of the Hamilton Branch owned by CSX that currently do not get serviced by Y121.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

What about Brooks Beverage? 7UP/ Squirt folks. They used to get a tank or two almost daily.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Doktor No wrote:What about Brooks Beverage? 7UP/ Squirt folks. They used to get a tank or two almost daily.
Most of that spur has been gone quite a while. The switch was finally removed last summer.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jetlink wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
If CSX ever decided to dump the portion they own from 196 to Holland, It would be a cool route for tourist service. Very scenic I'd say with the rural setting.

Of course there are a lot of logistics involved in something like that, but Hamilton to me is a perfect destination for a brief layover with the Rabbit River trestle being the highlight of the route. It would be similar to the Little River operation from Coldwater to Quincy.
I think it would make a better bike trail. And more people would use it.
Yeah cause we have none of those around here... :roll:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Jetlink wrote: I think it would make a better bike trail. And more people would use it.
Bikes are cool. As popular as biking is on this site, it seems like more trails on that side of the state would be a good thing.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:There are no intact spurs on the portion of the Hamilton Branch owned by CSX that currently do not get serviced by Y121.
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Thanks for confirming.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

SD80MAC wrote:
Doktor No wrote:What about Brooks Beverage? 7UP/ Squirt folks. They used to get a tank or two almost daily.
Most of that spur has been gone quite a while. The switch was finally removed last summer.
Amazing...or not. Havn't been down there for some time. I know they were bought out by Schweps and perhaps again after that and closed..gee, a couple tanks a day of corn sweetener went in.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

lighthouse wrote:1/23/18....2 hoppers on the way 2 the West Michigan Railroad for rubber chip loading
I was told there are 16 hopper in the pool now.
Rob

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

lighthouse wrote:I live in eye sight of the CSX main and I see a lot of trains...and i've seen quite a few of those cars lately...they are very distinctive
Are you talking about this type of hopper?
This was sitting in the small yard in Hartford on 1/18/18.
hartfordhopper.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Were all the cars in Lawrence scrapped?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Last year when TR Chris and I walked it from the crossing in Lawrence east only the 2 CN insulated boxes and the remnants of a hopper were the only things left. That was early fall.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Super Chief wrote:
NS3322 wrote: » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:02 am
Were all the cars in Lawrence scrapped?
» Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Last year when TR Chris and I walked it from the crossing in Lawrence east only the 2 CN insulated boxes and the remnants of a hopper were the only things left. That was early fall.

These were not all "Scrapped!!!!" At least
EJ&E Caboose #541 was saved and is now being "Repainted/Restored" at Jensen's RV Park & Motel® in South Haven, MI!!!! :shock: :D

:shock: :D :mrgreen: Look at this "Drone" video done by owner Martin Super from 2016 (trucked from Lawrence in July 2016): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJ4GH6IvCc
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

I know this thread is quite old but since I live very close to the WMRR I thought it would be nice to give everyone an update on how the railroad is doing. Last week the railroad crossing on 59 1/2 Street in Hartford was completely redone and it was done very nicely. I believe they fixed this crossing (which was in terrible shape) because there is an Amish man who owns property on the railroad who is opening a metal rolling shop and is going to use the railroad to ship his product out of the factory. I have also heard and I don't know if this is true but on Butcher Road in Lawrence there was an area cleared right next to where Pioneer took out some rail which is apparently supposed to become a gravel pit. Since the area is right next to where the railroad went I believe they are considering putting the track back in to the gravel pit which would add another couple miles back onto the line. It is really nice to see the WMRR coming back to action in the area!
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

In talking to GTW tonight, he informed me the SW 1512 has been repainted and is lettered West Michigan Railroad.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

1512 isn’t repainted, just cleaned up a little and I stenciled WEST MICHIGAN on the side in 12 inch letters a few weeks back so people would know who it belonged to. Paint doesn’t make money, but some white block lettering makes her look better.
I save lives. What do you do?

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

This video by Delay In Block Productions also outlines some recent activities of the WMRR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrL-g9yqFQ
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.