West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLLX3002
Railroadfan...fan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by GLLX3002 »

J T wrote:
GLLX3002 wrote:Now the really funny part, all of the speculation.
Would you like to share some of my popcorn? :)
Yes please, I was actually just about to throw some in the microwave.
Not associated with GLLX in anyway or MQT or G&W. I just have a thing for the 02. OH BOY!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Is this STB Filing concerning the entire line or just Lawrence to Paw Paw? Would Pioneer still operate Lawrence to the CSX interchange in Hartford?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Is this STB Filing concerning the entire line or just Lawrence to Paw Paw? Would Pioneer still operate Lawrence to the CSX interchange in Hartford?
It is a file for a time extension on the abandonment filing (delaying the decision). The abandonment filing was for Lawrence to Paw Paw, so at most, this is what the extension is for. Probably, this means the GLLX has some interest in the line, either existing (such as stored equipment), or new interest (such as buying).
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GLLX3002
Railroadfan...fan

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Is this STB Filing concerning the entire line or just Lawrence to Paw Paw? Would Pioneer still operate Lawrence to the CSX interchange in Hartford?
The Original STB filing was for the portion east of Lawrence.
Not associated with GLLX in anyway or MQT or G&W. I just have a thing for the 02. OH BOY!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

This is interesting to say the least. What could Pioneer be thinking, the line physically is like the MAL they just bought ,so maybe others see potential and that's great. I'll dust off my dinner train uniform and hat and meet them in Paw Paw, oh crap they tore down the depot last year. If GLLX buys it maybe they'll keep the two locomotives. The GP9 could be the helper stationed at Lawrence to get the NW2 over the hill to Tea Pot Dome.

GLLX3002
Railroadfan...fan

I doubt they will keep the locomotives. However I have seen stranger things happen.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:This is interesting to say the least. What could Pioneer be thinking, the line physically is like the MAL they just bought ,so maybe others see potential and that's great. I'll dust off my dinner train uniform and hat and meet them in Paw Paw, oh crap they tore down the depot last year. If GLLX buys it maybe they'll keep the two locomotives. The GP9 could be the helper stationed at Lawrence to get the NW2 over the hill to Tea Pot Dome.
Don't forget about the 4433 & that SW in Manistee. I kinda wonder if those are up to GWI's standards...

Just speculating here...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Following a couple of delays/extensions, the May 29 deadline has passed. The abandonment petition will be effective June 8:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readin ... enDocument

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Bring on the bike path! I'm lubing up my chain as I type this...

:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

SD80MAC wrote:The afermentioned dinner train was the Kalamazoo, Lake Shore & Chicago.

From railroadmichigan.com:

Kalamazoo, Lake Shore & Chicago Railway Co.

KLS&C operated former CSX rails from Hartford to Paw Paw, with freight and passenger excursion service, including the Star Clipper dinner train. The Star Clipper move to COE Rail in July, 91 and was replaced by ex METRA E8A 513, and 4 cars from Trancisco Tours. First trip was 9/20/91 as Michigan Wine Country dinner train. Pioneer Rail Corp now operates line as the West Michigan RR.

One of their old cars is now at the C&M, it used to be our car No. 3 but isn't currently used.
My father was a volunteer on that railroad until it ran out of business. As far as I knew, nothing had been through there since the 80's and some of the track was left to rot.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

Don't write this line off just yet......The STB has not approved the line for abandonment & no rails have been pulled up. Remember, a lot of things can change.........

Mike H

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

The dinner train ran until around 1993, and I remember when CSX picked it up in Hartford in 1993.
They ran freight on the line for a couple more years, but most recently they have only gone as far as the cold storage place in Hartford.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC there is one or two places in Paw Paw (Coca Cola's juice plant?) that I hold out hope will use rail service
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Let's recap, Pioneer purchased the line in 1995 for about $200,000 cash and $300,000 in stock, they've had several real estate transactions that have probably netted them the amount they paid. They tried a juice deal with a trucking company in Paw Paw that didn't generate the business they had hoped. Coca Cola really never expressed much interest in shipping out by rail. Scrap values have increased since 1995. My thoughts are that Pioneer is rationalizing their railroads ie look at the Indiana Southwestern, A&F and West Michigan. The scrap is generating cash for purchasing other railroads or for track work that would qualify for federal tax credits ie 2012 and 2013. It appears that many of the Pioneer railroads have gotten tie work since the federal program has began.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

jrgerber wrote:Coca Cola really never expressed much interest in shipping out by rail.
Often with large companies logistics are made at the corporate level to achieve economies of volume. The coca cola plant in Detroit receives steady service from CSX as do other coca cola plants. For some reason the plant in Paw Paw does not fit into that model.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

My guess is the plant in Paw Paw isn't big enough or have enough storage space to make shipping by rail via 2 lines advantageous in Paw Paw vs CSX in Detroit at a major plant.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Coca Cola produces juices in plastic bottles. Plastic bottles do not ride well when stacked in a box car. They do just fine in intermodal containers.

Gerber in Fremont, MI had the same issue with plastic jars....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DLM wrote:Coca Cola produces juices in plastic bottles. Plastic bottles do not ride well when stacked in a box car. They do just fine in intermodal containers.

Gerber in Fremont, MI had the same issue with plastic jars....
I was thinking inbound syrup

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Tanker cars on the WMI? I've seen the WMI last year and if you ask me,it's FRA Exempted track,not the Class 1 or 2 track that it was when the Dinner/Tourist train was operating there. And given the condition of the track,I wouldn't do tanker cars on there as it would become unstable going down the line and want to tip over on uneven track.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Corn syurp cars be the same as any other car over that trackage.