West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by J T »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:When they remove the tracks from Lawrence to Paw Paw is there any chance of growing any business aside from the 1 customer in Hartford? What is the purpose of Pioneer keeping an engine for 1 customer of 2-3ish cars a week on a mile stretch of track?
There are two engines sitting on the line in Hartford, actually.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

JT, Sheldon was our conductor both freight and dinner train. He fell off the train at that location one day hence the name "Sheldon's Ditch".
We still don't know why he fell off but as they say things happen.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

After what happened in White Piegon to the Alco's I would guess Pioneer might just scrap the cars on site. JT what two locos are in Hartford. I know 1616 is in one of the 3 engine sheds in White Piegon. Pioneer has boxcars and a hopper there to scrap as they are marked the same as those in your pics. Last I knew Hartford had a switcher and maybe 908. 907 was in White Piegon this summer along with 1616.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Super Chief wrote:After what happened in White Piegon to the Alco's I would guess Pioneer might just scrap the cars on site. JT what two locos are in Hartford. I know 1616 is in one of the 3 engine sheds in White Piegon. Pioneer has boxcars and a hopper there to scrap as they are marked the same as those in your pics. Last I knew Hartford had a switcher and maybe 908. 907 was in White Piegon this summer along with 1616.
The West Michigan NW2 (WJ 100 I think) and the PREX 908 are in Hartford IIRC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Got word that someone representing a company that might be trying to take over this line slated for abandonment, went around to local businesses between Paw Paw and Hartford and were trying to drum up and secure new business.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

Really cause an uproar if a resident living on Lake Cora with money to blow decided to order a few carloads of sand for beach reconstruction purposes. I would do it only to anger the ones wanting the rails removed. :twisted:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

intocable83 wrote:Really cause an uproar if a resident living on Lake Cora with money to blow decided to order a few carloads of sand for beach reconstruction purposes. I would do it only to anger the ones wanting the rails removed. :twisted:
:lol:

I bet at least one person living there has forgotten there is even a rail line there.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

Super Chief wrote:After what happened in White Piegon to the Alco's I would guess Pioneer might just scrap the cars on site. JT what two locos are in Hartford. I know 1616 is in one of the 3 engine sheds in White Piegon. Pioneer has boxcars and a hopper there to scrap as they are marked the same as those in your pics. Last I knew Hartford had a switcher and maybe 908. 907 was in White Piegon this summer along with 1616.
I've seen 1616 running lately.Am I mistaken?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

1616 is running it was just inside for the weekend. I assume 907 was inside one of the other engine houses? Also in reference to "Sheldon's Ditch" we just placed the sign there to remind him of his little episode of falling off the train. He radioed that he wasn't aboard after he fell so we backed up and picked him up. The sign had no other meaning as far as a CP or reference mark other than where he met the ballast. We picked on him quite a bit after that and when the people riding the train asked what it meant we told them the story. Funny after all these years I would have thought he might have taken it with him when we retired. I quess he wanted to remain famous even though only a handful of us really knew the story behind it. Any more word on the INER and the Coldwater trail group?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Great story, Super Chief! I knew someone who has already posted in this thread would have an answer for me. I figured it was someone working for the railroad, but I wasn't expecting that story. :lol:

Zack, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Image
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GLLX3002
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GLLX3002 »

Removed per request
Last edited by GLLX3002 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not associated with GLLX in anyway or MQT or G&W. I just have a thing for the 02. OH BOY!

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

Super Chief wrote: Any more word on the INER and the Coldwater trail group?
The trail group didn't show up at the last meeting to discuss the Rail Trail -- but the residents along the line sure did! There is definitely not a lot of support for a trail out here. After May 7th INER may abandon the line.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Well, things are about to get interesting between Hartford and Paw Paw...

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument

:D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Interesting. What interest does GLLX have in the Paw Paw Line? Existing or is this new?

....the plot thickens...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Oops...I forgot something...

admin edit: inserting trademarked JT popcorn image... why on earth did you use the freesmileys one?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:Well, things are about to get interesting between Hartford and Paw Paw...
http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument
There is at least one potential customer in Paw Paw with the Coca Cola juice plant. Or maybe the see a car storage opportunity coming up. Or maybe they need to file this to go to Lawrence and pick up the rest of their equipment.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

admin wrote:
admin edit: inserting trademarked JT popcorn image... why on earth did you use the freesmileys one?

Didn't have it bookmarked, actually. Thanks. :)

GLLX3002
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GLLX3002 »

Now the really funny part, all of the speculation.

PS: I DO NOT REPRESENT GREAT LAKES LOCOMOTIVE IN ANY FASHION. I just have a soft spot for the 3002.
Not associated with GLLX in anyway or MQT or G&W. I just have a thing for the 02. OH BOY!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GLLX3002 wrote:Now the really funny part, all of the speculation.
Would you like to share some of my popcorn? :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I think the GLLX will buy the line, then Pioneer, then G&W, Then the Class Is, then everything else.

:twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Saturnalia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.