West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by Mike H »

Schteinkuh wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:So what's up with them clearing brush on some portions of the ROW? New trail or expanding service?
Just opening up the line and seeing if any new customers bite
How do you know that? No for profit business invests money just for the heck of it. If that truly is the plan, it would be a horrible marketing strategy & they should fire their marketing department........In my humble opinion. However, I would bet there is a plan.

Mike H

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Mike H wrote:
Schteinkuh wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:So what's up with them clearing brush on some portions of the ROW? New trail or expanding service?
Just opening up the line and seeing if any new customers bite
How do you know that? No for profit business invests money just for the heck of it. If that truly is the plan, it would be a horrible marketing strategy & they should fire their marketing department........In my humble opinion. However, I would bet there is a plan.

Mike H
If only there was someone I know who has posted on this thread that could tell us said plan... :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The open top high side gons are for crushed rubber service. I heard that they bought them themselves for this service. Also going to expand into an industrial park...adding SOME trackage in Hartford. Already have customers lined up.
Reputable source...we shall see.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Doktor No wrote:Also going to expand into an industrial park...adding SOME trackage in Hartford. Already have customers lined up.
Where is this industrial park?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They are rebuilding the track to the canning plant in Paw Paw where they will load 50 car units trains of canned goods. Is this from a good source :? :lol: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

AARR wrote:They are rebuilding the track to the canning plant in Paw Paw where they will load 50 car units trains of canned goods. Is this from a good source :? :lol: .
Unit trains? Not on that track lol

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Well actually the word was...Coca Cola/Minute Maid was looking for some sort of service at Two Paws. Heard that before some years ago and nothing ever came of it.
The industrial park is supposedly there near Hartford somewhere.
Pioneer Rail is the company I heard that was persuing all this.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Article discussing the new industrial park proposal for Hartford.
http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/loc ... 0dbd9.html

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So the Pioneer F units could possibly pull the Wine Country Dinner train again thru the lawns at Lake Cora again? With all the GLLX units at Hartford power shouldn't be an issue. Seriously is the ROW still owned by one entity all the way to Paw Paw?

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

pioneer isnt involved in the west michigan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As jrgerber said WMI isn't involved anymore. They sold it to someone local. There might be more than one investor.
jrgerber wrote:pioneer isnt involved in the west michigan
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

West Michigan is now owned by Hamilton Hartford Group. GLLX is also involved. HHG also owns the Hamilton branch south of MP 19 in Holland down to Hamilton Proper.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

SD80MAC wrote:West Michigan is now owned by Hamilton Hartford Group. GLLX is also involved. HHG also owns the Hamilton branch south of MP 19 in Holland down to Hamilton Proper.
Looks to me the track is missing beyond Lawrence? Also, with their only customer literally within site of CSX, seems like it could be moved to the interchange track and just have CSX take over the interchange track/transload customer? How much can WMI possible make moving a car less than a mile?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TC Man wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:West Michigan is now owned by Hamilton Hartford Group. GLLX is also involved. HHG also owns the Hamilton branch south of MP 19 in Holland down to Hamilton Proper.
Looks to me the track is missing beyond Lawrence? Also, with their only customer literally within site of CSX, seems like it could be moved to the interchange track and just have CSX take over the interchange track/transload customer? How much can WMI possible make moving a car less than a mile?
They have big plans for the line. They also recently got another customer loading rubber chips into hoppers which they load behind Hanson's. Give it time!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote: They have big plans for the line. They also recently got another customer loading rubber chips into hoppers which they load behind Hanson's. Give it time!
Railfans don't have time to wait!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I was just kidding I knew Pioneer wasn't involved anymore. I guess I'm wondering has the right of way been encroached anywhere? I walked it this summer from Lawrence east and yes its all gone to Paw Paw. The new owners must have looked at the ROW and notified parties the rail is going back in? I did only a mile or two on my own and didn't see any structures and the like that have sprung up.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

I believe milepost 19.88 is Lawrence, and milepost 30.2 is Paw Paw. What is between milepost 25.1 and milepost 26.5, which is not included in the trail use negotiations? Is that the right of way that passes Lake Cora?
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 244693.pdf

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

So the railroad has big plans and so does the DNR? This certainly clears things up?

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The DNR trail plan covers the Lawrence to Paw Paw segment, except for the 1.5 mile stretch in the middle of it. That part is not clear to me. The railroad plan seems to involve far west end, at or near Hartford.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

They ain't a goin back to Two Paws. They would add perhaps a few thousand feet in or near Hartford. What do you think would ensue if the announced plans to rebuild the rail to 2Paws? CHAOS is what it would be, CHAOS!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.