West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread postby NS3322 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 pm

AARR wrote:Why would an ethanol plant build in Paw Paw, have to fight legalities to rebuild the ROW when there is so much open and inexpensive land along existing ROW's?
NS3322 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Just some further correspondence between WMRR and the STB about the Lake Cora property that had the ROW given back to adjacent land owners: https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7f93537688b8e5852573210004b318/90b8eac8ee8910e4852583600044ce2c/$FILE/246881.pdf

Is the big (Ethanol?) development still coming to Paw Paw?

I am not in charge, I just remember some big factory/facility wanted to build in Paw Paw.
It did not make much sense to me either.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Jim_c » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Paw Paw has been marketing very aggressively for businesses to locate there. They would probably be supportive of any effort to restore rail service.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Farmboybello » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Jim_c wrote:Paw Paw has been marketing very aggressively for businesses to locate there. They would probably be supportive of any effort to restore rail service.

This is just an opinion but I don’t see why the Village and Township of Paw Paw wouldn’t want to try to financially help WMI return rail service to Paw Paw. Having access to a railroad is a major thing businesses look for when they are thinking of moving into an area. Pioneer didn't try to market this railroad at all and according to another post on this website, apparently destroyed relationships with Paw Paw and residents living along the line. I don't know how much contact the new owners have had with Paw Paw about returning rail service there but seeing the current industrial and economic shape of Van Buren County I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be all for bringing the railroad back.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby RailfanVBC » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

Farmboybello wrote:
Jim_c wrote:Paw Paw has been marketing very aggressively for businesses to locate there. They would probably be supportive of any effort to restore rail service.

This is just an opinion but I don’t see why the Village and Township of Paw Paw wouldn’t want to try to financially help WMI return rail service to Paw Paw. Having access to a railroad is a major thing businesses look for when they are thinking of moving into an area. Pioneer didn't try to market this railroad at all and according to another post on this website, apparently destroyed relationships with Paw Paw and residents living along the line. I don't know how much contact the new owners have had with Paw Paw about returning rail service there but seeing the current industrial and economic shape of Van Buren County I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be all for bringing the railroad back.

I would think that they would expand to Lawrence sometime soon especially with the business boom they seem to be having currently. The track ends about two miles from Lawrence and when I drove around there a while ago I counted at least 3 customers on the line that WMI could service.
RailfanVBC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby AARR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am

I've looked at the abandoned ROW from Hartford to Paw Paw. Paw Paw has a few possibilities. What potential customers did you see in Lawrence?
RailfanVBC wrote:I would think that they would expand to Lawrence sometime soon especially with the business boom they seem to be having currently. The track ends about two miles from Lawrence and when I drove around there a while ago I counted at least 3 customers on the line that WMI could service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby RailfanVBC » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am

AARR wrote:I've looked at the abandoned ROW from Hartford to Paw Paw. Paw Paw has a few possibilities. What potential customers did you see in Lawrence?
RailfanVBC wrote:I would think that they would expand to Lawrence sometime soon especially with the business boom they seem to be having currently. The track ends about two miles from Lawrence and when I drove around there a while ago I counted at least 3 customers on the line that WMI could service.

There is the scrapyard outside of Lawrence where I believe the tracks end and a few warehouses in Lawrence located on the line. Also there is a large area recently clearsd by Butcher Road next to the crossing which might have somethig to do with the railroad.
RailfanVBC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby TSS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Currently, there is no way to run around a train on the West MI tracks. Prior to the abandonment, was there any passing track at the west end?

From old pictures, it appears to me the first runaround was at Lawrence. Does anyone remember how they handled interchange? The same way as now? If so, I guess that means freight business had to be very minimal, as every westbound freight would be a shoving move from Lawrence to Hartford.
TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Super Chief » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Everything was a shoving move either way. You had to shove to the CSX to keep your engine in the clear to go back. Also when I was fireman on the Wine Country Dinner Train always had the geep, the F or the E on the west end and would shove east from Lawrence to Paw Paw. The EJ & E caboose used on the tail end had a dualbeam head light and electric horn and the air whistle on the back end for this reason. It was something to go in reverse back up the Lawrence Hill to Lake Cora.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk