WALLY Cars Ready for Testing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
becauseisaidso15
Railroadfan...fan

Re: WALLY Cars Ready for Testing

Unread post by becauseisaidso15 »

This conversation is honestly difficult to follow. Could somebody create a Google or Bing custom map and mark where GLC will have the cars and when Amtrak will have them. Aso, if I wanted to go, from Toledo, my parents would want something that is easy to refer to, for me to be able to go on a 2 hour drive. O have noticed there is also other questions on routing and times, a map would e GREAT and answer a lot, all in one place, and easy to see!

Thanks guys! :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

becauseisaidso15 wrote:This conversation is honestly difficult to follow. Could somebody create a Google or Bing custom map and mark where GLC will have the cars and when Amtrak will have them. Aso, if I wanted to go, from Toledo, my parents would want something that is easy to refer to, for me to be able to go on a 2 hour drive. O have noticed there is also other questions on routing and times, a map would e GREAT and answer a lot, all in one place, and easy to see!

Thanks guys! :)
amtrak will have them on the MI line on next tuesday and wed. taking the same route as amtrak trains do. From PNT to Jackson, stopping at all of the listed locations that MQT posted. amtrak CN apperently will be taking them on the Holly sub on sunday the 11th to PNT.

this is the route of the amtrak trains, the same one this train will be taking

Train is supposded to leave PNT at 8:00pm on Tuesday the 13th and head for jackson with the cab car leading durning the night. On Wed. the 14th the train is supposed to depart Jackson in the morning and head back to PNT.

as for easy to refer to... like the amtrak station? you could see the train at the amtrak station which is staffed during the time when the train is supposed to run and well lit.

if it makes the same time as the amtrak trains it sould go like this:

PNT depart: 8:00pm
Birmingham: 8:13pm
Royal Oak: 8:21pm
Detroit: 8:41pm
Dearborn: 9:03pm

-After dearborn the train starts to make stops at the airport and ypsilanti.

Ann Arbor: 9:50pm (approx. I gave time for 2 previous stops)

-After AA they will stop at dexter and chelsea.

assuming that they can make around 60mph the whole trip and giving time for the 2 additional times, I would guess that the test train would be in jackson between 10:30 and 11pm

and do not forget!
This is subject to change
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Just to ask, any idea on the timing for when GLC will move them Owosso-Durand on Sunday?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

iKJames wrote:Just to ask, any idea on the timing for when GLC will move them Owosso-Durand on Sunday?
Nothing official. More if/when I hear it :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark Rummel »

Has anyone heard any information when this test train would leave Durand, heading on the Holly Sub to Pontiac?

I'd love to get shots of Fenton seeing passenger trains again, if even for just one day...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

From the sounds of it, thia ia to establish perameters FOR a possible schedule correct? So they would probably like to run it as fast a possible,with the stops and all
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

any feeling on when Sunday they will depart Durand for Pontiac?

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak conductors at Dooorand this (Sunday) morning said the crew for the WALLY passenger cars was scheduled to leave Pontiac at 3 p.m. today, heading to pick up the cars for testing Monday and Tuesday.

For me (in Fenton) I would guess that means I could expect the Amtrak engine with the cars would come down the Holly Sub about 5:30 or 6 p.m. today (probably later) so maybe there will be enough light to take a rare passenger shot here. Hasn't happened since 1972, maybe??

Any other ideas, anyone???

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

Mark Rummel wrote:Amtrak conductors at Dooorand this (Sunday) morning said the crew for the WALLY passenger cars was scheduled to leave Pontiac at 3 p.m. today, heading to pick up the cars for testing Monday and Tuesday.
AMTK 500 is departing Pontiac now. They are going to turn their power in the Pontiac yard and then head to Durand.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

If anybody gets daytime shots of these moves please send me a PM.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

GTWChris wrote:
Mark Rummel wrote:Amtrak conductors at Dooorand this (Sunday) morning said the crew for the WALLY passenger cars was scheduled to leave Pontiac at 3 p.m. today, heading to pick up the cars for testing Monday and Tuesday.
AMTK 500 is departing Pontiac now. They are going to turn their power in the Pontiac yard and then head to Durand.
There is a train going through Davisburg right now. Sounds westbound and like an Amtrak horn.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Ive heard the cars will be at the yard in Pontiac not the Amtrak depot.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

What train did 500 ride to PNT? 354 last night?

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

The eastbound (?) Amtrak special came through Fenton about 7:45 p.m. tonight (Sunday) with six double-deck cars, headed from Durand to Pontiac. It looked good...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:What train did 500 ride to PNT? 354 last night?
I heard 354.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Mark Rummel wrote:
For me (in Fenton) I would guess that means I could expect the Amtrak engine with the cars would come down the Holly Sub about 5:30 or 6 p.m. today (probably later) so maybe there will be enough light to take a rare passenger shot here. Hasn't happened since 1972, maybe??

Any other ideas, anyone???

I hope to catch this interesting train! I'd love to photograph it returning north of Pontiac, maybe Holly! There have been passenger trains through here since 1972! Bluewater had the "GTW Circle trip" excursions! They did that in the 1980s and '90s! I saw them passing Ferndale/Royal Oak in 1993, 1994 and 1996! The last trip was October 1996. We all know that won't happen again─or any Bluewater train (with their cars) for that matter!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

What time is it leaving Jackson on Wednesday?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

milineamtrak wrote:What time is it leaving Jackson on Wednesday?
Leave PNT tonight at 8pm. Leave Jackson "early in the morning" tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

The TRAINS bit

DETROIT – The Michigan Department of Transportation and Southeast Michigan Council of Governments is testing its fleet of bi-level commuter cars this week in anticipation of future rail commuter service in the state. Test trains are operating between Pontiac and Jackson, Mich., Nov. 12-14. The cars, owned by the Great Lakes Central Railroad, are former Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway equipment.

The agencies are planning new rail commuter service between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Service to special events is expected to begin in early 2013, including the Detroit Tigers opening day and local festivals. Regular commuter service is expected to begin in 2014, pending the completion of necessary track upgrades. The remainder of the test route, Ann Arbor to Jackson and Detroit to Pontiac, is not under consideration for commuter service at this time, but the tests will allow for future expansion on those segments.

The state recently purchased a portion of the commuter route, from Dearborn to Ann Arbor, from Norfolk Southern Railroad. The remainder of the commuter route between Dearborn and Detroit is still owned by Norfolk Southern while the Detroit to Pontiac segment is owned by Canadian National.

Amtrak operated an Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter train, known as the Michigan Executive, until 1988. The Southeast Michigan Transportation Authority also operated Pontiac to Detroit commuter service until 1983.

Michigan is also studying a second commuter route, between Ann Arbor and Howell, on the former Ann Arbor Railroad route.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »