AMTK Equipment in Jackson Any guesses?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: AMTK Equipment in Jackson Any guesses?

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:It'll come in due time really. But, with the State you really never know. NS might be looking to rid of the Jackson-Kzoo segment next, or am I mistaken that that segment is included in the State's proposal from NS?
The state is supposed to be purchasing Ypsi (might be further east) to Kzoo I believe. With NS keeping all of the yards and operating of freight...
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I was under the impression that everything west of Wayne was going to Amtrak with NS retaining freight rights.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

CSX_CO wrote:
bctrainfan wrote:Did someone say that this is not near a rail line? Seems like just bad taste not to have a railroad building near the actual railroad! :mrgreen:
Why? Plenty of instances where the RR gets a good deal on a office property that is no where near the tracks.

Practice Safe CSX

1) Maybe I misunderstood, but this is not just an office, is it? They will be storing materials and euipment and supplies for MoW and for use on trains, as evident by the stacks of ties and the new loader, yes? Seems like it would be handy to keep that stuff along the line. And most areas seem to have plenty of bargain-basement vacant properties adjacent to rail lines.

2) I just think its kinda funny. :D

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

The Old Cincinnati Northern RR is across the street from this building. This branch serves Mac Steel, Worthington Steel, and occasionally a lumber yard. Its about 2 miles from Jackson Yard.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2330+bro ... s&t=h&z=18

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TrainWatcher wrote:It'll come in due time really. But, with the State you really never know. NS might be looking to rid of the Jackson-Kzoo segment next, or am I mistaken that that segment is included in the State's proposal from NS?
The deal is everything from K-zoo to Dearbornish (somewhere in there, the actual milepost escapes me)....

For the millionth time, NS want to get rid of the track but operate it with trackage rights! They would be the winners of this deal!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

bctrainfan wrote: 1) Maybe I misunderstood, but this is not just an office, is it? They will be storing materials and euipment and supplies for MoW and for use on trains, as evident by the stacks of ties and the new loader, yes? Seems like it would be handy to keep that stuff along the line. And most areas seem to have plenty of bargain-basement vacant properties adjacent to rail lines.
Except when you have a building next to a rail line, and someone like AMTRAK comes knocking you can jack your price up. After all, railroads have deep pockets right?

Just looks like it will be used like a MOW garage, and perhaps some storage of materials (Spikes, plates, bars, etc) but there is no way you could fit enough MOW material in that building to maintain the line. Smaller stuff that has a propensity to walk away, but you couldn't store enough ties in that parking lot. Those tie bundles almost look like the kind for a crossing replacement that they'd build panel track out of.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Scooterb wrote:The Old Cincinnati Northern RR is across the street from this building. This branch serves Mac Steel, Worthington Steel, and occasionally a lumber yard. Its about 2 miles from Jackson Yard.
Worthington gets a small block of cars once or twice a month. Most of their steel comes from Chicago (Gary, IN) and it is easier for them to have it trucked in.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Land and buildings near rail lines are far more expensive. If Amtrak doesn't plan on having rail deliveries, it would be a bad use of tax money to buy a building near the tracks.

If there's a 20% premium on near-rail and rail-served land, and that's normally a $500k bldg, you're looking at an extra $100k for being near/on rail. If the median household income is $44k, that's over two household incomes extra to get a building near the tracks for no good reason (provided it's just a MofW storage facility for pickup trucks and supplies).

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

This building couldn't be much closer to rail. It is just on the other side of the road. Still close enough access to allow loading and unloading of cars. Maybe they will do so across the street at Willbee. Just a thought is all.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AC60CW wrote:This building couldn't be much closer to rail. It is just on the other side of the road. Still close enough access to allow loading and unloading of cars. Maybe they will do so across the street at Willbee. Just a thought is all.
If they're getting the facilities in the line sale, they'll probably just store the larger materials at Jackson Yard. No need for a 'special' move to go down there and unload to just have to reload anything of any quantity. Most of the smaller stuff gets trucked in, spike kegs, plates, bars etc. for smaller projects. Only on the larger projects will you see a gon full of spikes or plates, etc.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Does anyone have the address?

My guess is most MOW equipment would come out of Chicago, having been staged there. This could just be their little secondary lot to store stuff and base smaller jobs out of, kind of like most lines use old depots along the line as MOW storage/offices/meeting areas.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

2330 Brooklyn rd

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

It's a good location and not really far away, any of the stuff there will be trucked to worksites anyway. Not a big deal, they get to go right past the freight house Wendy's that way too ;)

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I don't understand why you guys think it should be near the tracks. The materials they are going to store here wouldn't come in by train. Any real tie work they are going to do would likely be shipped in via train, the ties they are storing is for minimal routine maintenance. Looks like maybe 400 or 500 based on the photos. So that would be about 2 truck loads. As for the equipment...when have you guys ever seen MDOT or any other municipality buy used equipment? When I was dealing with municipalities they had to go through a bid process if they wanted to buy a truck or loader. They would take bids from John Deere, Case, Cat, Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Seeing how Amtrak is government owned it would not surprise me if they had to do a similar process.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

CAT345C wrote:I don't understand why you guys think it should be near the tracks. The materials they are going to store here wouldn't come in by train. Any real tie work they are going to do would likely be shipped in via train, the ties they are storing is for minimal routine maintenance. Looks like maybe 400 or 500 based on the photos. So that would be about 2 truck loads. As for the equipment...when have you guys ever seen MDOT or any other municipality buy used equipment? When I was dealing with municipalities they had to go through a bid process if they wanted to buy a truck or loader. They would take bids from John Deere, Case, Cat, Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Seeing how Amtrak is government owned it would not surprise me if they had to do a similar process.
I was thinking this actually right after I posted. Usually, like a couple have mentioned. When major work is done, they bring it in my train and just drop it off on the side of the rail spaced out, same with the ballast.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/