MC Station Trespasser Hurt

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

MC Station Trespasser Hurt

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MC Station Trespasser Hurt

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Watch that first step...it's a doozie!! :shock:

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Do not worry about this guy. He just won the Lottery. He is probably going to sue the building owner, Manny Maroun, because the surrounding fence was only 10 feet tall and did not have enough razor wire on it and the "NO TRESPASSING" signs were spaced greater than the required 50 feet apart to "properly warn" that trespassing was not allowed. It is a good thing he lived, because now he can sue for "concious pain and suffering", whereas if he died, his estate could only sue for "wrongful death."

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Mr. RRTTF, that's amazing. You never do consider the loopholes that one can play on the legal system.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

RRTTF wrote:Do not worry about this guy. He just won the Lottery. He is probably going to sue the building owner, Manny Maroun, because the surrounding fence was only 10 feet tall and did not have enough razor wire on it and the "NO TRESPASSING" signs were spaced greater than the required 50 feet apart to "properly warn" that trespassing was not allowed. It is a good thing he lived, because now he can sue for "concious pain and suffering", whereas if he died, his estate could only sue for "wrongful death."
Maybe he will get enough from Manny so we won't have to listen to all the BS commercials that he puts out to protect his monopoly on bridge traffic to Canada. :mrgreen:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hobojim wrote:
RRTTF wrote:Do not worry about this guy. He just won the Lottery. He is probably going to sue the building owner, Manny Maroun, because the surrounding fence was only 10 feet tall and did not have enough razor wire on it and the "NO TRESPASSING" signs were spaced greater than the required 50 feet apart to "properly warn" that trespassing was not allowed. It is a good thing he lived, because now he can sue for "concious pain and suffering", whereas if he died, his estate could only sue for "wrongful death."
Maybe he will get enough from Manny so we won't have to listen to all the BS commercials that he puts out to protect his monopoly on bridge traffic to Canada. :mrgreen:
It's only natural for them to protect their bridge through commercials...it's just human nature. Really, I think we should just keep using the Ambassador...cheaper that way from what I've heard...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
hobojim wrote:
It's only natural for them to protect their bridge through commercials...it's just human nature. Really, I think we should just keep using the Ambassador...cheaper that way from what I've heard...
Thing is, with the increase in truck traffic through there, they need a second bridge...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Building a second bridge really will not help speed along the truck traffic. The trucks are delayed due to Customs inspections. The delays could be quickly remedied by increasing the number of Customs inspectors. If a second bridge is built, the natural path is for Customs to divide the Customs inspectors between the two locations, simply resulting in two longer lines!

This is precisely the same problem which has plagued attempts at "international" trains running between Chicago and Toronto --- the Customs delays at Port Huron/Sarnia.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

RRTTF wrote:Building a second bridge really will not help speed along the truck traffic. The trucks are delayed due to Customs inspections. The delays could be quickly remedied by increasing the number of Customs inspectors. If a second bridge is built, the natural path is for Customs to divide the Customs inspectors between the two locations, simply resulting in two longer lines!

This is precisely the same problem which has plagued attempts at "international" trains running between Chicago and Toronto --- the Customs delays at Port Huron/Sarnia.
Your solution is the best, but if they must, they could move the trucks to other lines than cars to help speed things along

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT3001 wrote:Your solution is the best, but if they must, they could move the trucks to other lines than cars to help speed things along
Trucks and cars have separate inspection lines / areas. Check bing maps birdseye view.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Your solution is the best, but if they must, they could move the trucks to other lines than cars to help speed things along
Trucks and cars have separate inspection lines / areas. Check bing maps birdseye view.
correction, and I meant to say it in the first place :oops: :

They should increase the size of the customs area, if they don't add more agents. what I said first off meant to be move them away earlier, say as they are coming onto the bridge even...just a thought.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Maroun doesn't want a gov't owned bridge, says it's not necessary but he wants to build his own. The gov't bridge will be just like the Mackinac, Blue water and International, built and maintained with tolls, no general fund money. Maroun has been and is a slimeball, it's all about Matty and filling his pockets, legal or not.
MQT3001 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:
correction, and I meant to say it in the first place :oops: :

They should increase the size of the customs area, if they don't add more agents. what I said first off meant to be move them away earlier, say as they are coming onto the bridge even...just a thought.

The cars and trucks are well separated, look at the aerials. American customs need to be on the Detroit side, Canadian customs in Windsor.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

More customs agents without expanding the lanes would be pointless. They need to be expanded again and then hire more agents. There should also be only certain questions that need to be asked, and no more. You will normally get a grouchy agent who asks a whole bunch of questions (which slows down the line), and you'll rarely get the friendly guy who asks 3-4 questions and sends you on your way.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Guy got what was coming to him for being careless. On a side note try being the truck driver that gets questioned and or hassled by the customs agent they check things on the rigs you wouldn’t think of looking at that’s why the delays are so bad for trucks...well traffic in general. smarter/more customs agents and less monopoly government garbage. Just my 1.50$ on the matter.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In my younger days when most people did not pay to much attention to tresspassers I walked many an abandoned building. No, I did not vandalize or tag or anything like that. Just walked and took in everything. I'm much older now and punishments fro tresspassing are much harsher but when I read stoies like this and see how someo of you think they guy got what he had coming, and maybe you are right, I think about how I was him years ago and was lucky enough to avoid injury and lived in a time when people were more tolerant of tresspassers. Times have changed and sometimes I am not sure if for the better... :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:In my younger days when most people did not pay to much attention to tresspassers I walked many an abandoned building. No, I did not vandalize or tag or anything like that. Just walked and took in everything. I'm much older now and punishments fro tresspassing are much harsher but when I read stoies like this and see how someo of you think they guy got what he had coming, and maybe you are right, I think about how I was him years ago and was lucky enough to avoid injury and lived in a time when people were more tolerant of tresspassers. Times have changed and sometimes I am not sure if for the better... :?
I wish people still didn't pay attention to trespassers. I'd love to go in abandoned buildings and see what people have left behind. I want to go in the MC station, as well as the McLouth Steel Mill in Trenton. I'd like to see what is left of a once leader in steel making.
Jake

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Railfan wrote:
AARR wrote:In my younger days when most people did not pay to much attention to tresspassers I walked many an abandoned building. No, I did not vandalize or tag or anything like that. Just walked and took in everything. I'm much older now and punishments fro tresspassing are much harsher but when I read stoies like this and see how someo of you think they guy got what he had coming, and maybe you are right, I think about how I was him years ago and was lucky enough to avoid injury and lived in a time when people were more tolerant of tresspassers. Times have changed and sometimes I am not sure if for the better... :?
I wish people still didn't pay attention to trespassers. I'd love to go in abandoned buildings and see what people have left behind. I want to go in the MC station, as well as the McLouth Steel Mill in Trenton. I'd like to see what is left of a once leader in steel making.
My grandpa who takes me train chasing from time to time love to explore old buildings. He used to live in Scottsville between Bladwin and Ludington, and he used to love to walk along the old ROWs, especially the abandoned lumber lines. Once, a PM steamer (possiblly even 1223 or 1225) caught him and his firends off guard, and they jumped in the ditch, and remembers the scorching heat from the steam.

He's always interested in those little things. For example, when we were chasing the MQT santa train last winter, we were down next to mill creek (up just south of 6-mile) and he noticed a pipe, which we guessed went to the old fish hatchery, whose building is now the model RR club alongside the MQT tracks. He followed it about 100 years, before hurrying back because we heard the whistle of the train getting ready to depart from alongside that model rr club in Comstock Park.

When we go train chasing, I get to see my trains, and he gets to see those little interesting bits of history far off the beaten path. I love seeing them too, its just too bad most are now far off-limits to the average person.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

I love to see anything old, from a car rusting in the woods to a building where thousands of people passed through each day many years ago. I like to think about the history these things have been through. I'd also like to go back in time and see what certain locations (my house, school, etc.) were like hundreds, thousands, even millions of years ago. I despise the history subject in school, as this is the kind of history I'm in to.
Jake

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Railfan wrote:I love to see anything old, from a car rusting in the woods to a building where thousands of people passed through each day many years ago. I like to think about the history these things have been through. I'd also like to go back in time and see what certain locations (my house, school, etc.) were like hundreds, thousands, even millions of years ago. I despise the history subject in school, as this is the kind of history I'm in to.
I don't despise my Ancient history class, but next year, I'm taking American history...THAT'S GOING TO BE SWEET

My all time favorite film production was the history channel series "America: The Story of Us".

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Upon reading my post I see further clarification would be in order. My quote:” Guy got what was coming to him for being careless.” Not checking the floor before stepping is careless. Got what was coming for not being safe. My alternate hobby is Urban Exploring. I love the old buildings and abandoned buildings.” Take only pictures. Leave only foot prints.” out of all urban explorers 10% do not respect that saying. People don’t want punks to "tag" or other wise destroy the property. Because of those individuals everyone looses.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield