NYC Jackson-GR questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NYC Jackson-GR questions

Unread post by DLM »

Bradford White union truck drivers would shuttle railroad owned trailers between Manufactures Cartage yard in Grand Rapids and Middleville. We could not have our trucker bring railroad owned trailers on to BW property. Something in their truck drivers union agreement. We would pay Manufactures Cartage to haul the trailers to the correct railramp in Chicago, waybill them, and arrange delivery at the other end. Never heard any issues about damage.

Currently they only use intermodal on western Canada shipments they produce under contract for another water heater company and paid for by that company.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Larry G wrote:Here's one more...taken right after PC stopped...compare with the pictures in my earlier post.

Thornapple River Trestle Near Vermontville on Penn Cental

These two photos were taken 4-10-76 after PC ceased operations. Looking WB towards Vermontville at track which once maintained to 60 mph service through here. At the end about 10 mph on this Jackson to Grand Rapid Branch. Trestle is still in place today off Shaytown Rd in western Eaton County. See digital photos in this album of current views.

More photos of the end of the PC era on this line at Charlotte here and current C&S dinner train operations if you are interested.

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnails-1348.html
These photos were taken on my birthday that year, I turned 1 :D
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Thanks for the pics. The location isn't very far from my home. These pictures were taken when I was about 3 months old. Neat to see a little local 'history'.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline