Michigan Rail Business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 am
Location: Battle Creek, MI

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Hopefully an administration change in Washington soon will ease up some of these overzealous EPA rules.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:32 pm
Location: Novi, Michigan

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

"Possibly another victim of the new EPA standards backed by this current administration regarding coal fired plant emmissions."

That's a simplistic view of the situation. Consumers and DTE have a number of smaller, older coal-fired facilities that simply don't make economic sense to keep operating especially since demand for electricity hasn't been increasing. The Whiting plant was built in the early 50s. It's the same reason that Consumers didn't go through with building a new plant up near Saginaw. There isn't sufficient demand to justify the investment.

User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
Posts: 8398
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I'm sick of this war on coal.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/
Image

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

NoviRailfan wrote:"Possibly another victim of the new EPA standards backed by this current administration regarding coal fired plant emmissions."

That's a simplistic view of the situation. Consumers and DTE have a number of smaller, older coal-fired facilities that simply don't make economic sense to keep operating especially since demand for electricity hasn't been increasing. The Whiting plant was built in the early 50s. It's the same reason that Consumers didn't go through with building a new plant up near Saginaw. There isn't sufficient demand to justify the investment.
You may want to double check your info. Yes consumers was going to build 2 new powerhouses at the Karn Weadock facility in Bay City. This would have added 830MW of capacity at that facility. They withdrew their air permit applications, some stating it was due to no demand for electricity. Just a few weeks ago, the primary owner of the Midland Cogeneration Venture announced, and submitted plans for a 640MW expansion. There is not a huge difference between those numbers. Not to mention, the Karn Weadock plans included a remodel, and update of the existing plants on site.

There are a few reasons why it does not make sense to keep the older smaller power houses. They are expensive to operate and maintain due to their age, but the biggest problem is due to new clean air regulations. The cost of construction another series of emission cleaning equipment on such old plants. Another prohibitive factor is how long it takes to fire one of these plants up. You need a good amount of advance time to get things set up and fired up on these old smaller peaker plants.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Possible future car loads returning to the Zilwaukee Peavy Elevator? Over the last months there seems to have been some construction going on inside this elevator. I have heard they are upgrading handling equipment, and the floors in bins. This leads me to wonder if Peavy is going to sell this elevator, or if they are are going to start using this location for major operations again? Also, I know the elevator to the south, Their Carrolton location is served by SBS. If memory serves me right, the Zilwaukee elevator HESR served this elevator, would that remain the case?

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32159
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by AARR »

JDavis21835 wrote:Also, I know the elevator to the south, Their Carrolton location is served by SBS. If memory serves me right, the Zilwaukee elevator HESR served this elevator, would that remain the case?
I believe you are correct that HESR services the Zilwaukee elevator whiloe LSRC services the Carrolton one.

Although I wonder why HESR services Lafarge on the same Carrolton branch as the elevator :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
Posts: 8398
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I don't know if this has been reported, but they've started demolishing the old Pioneer Sugar elevators in Carrolton.

Also up in Bay City/Essexville, the branch that curves northeast out of the south end of Lake States main yard by the old Dow plant and parallels the road for a ways through the marsh and crosses into what looks like a lumber yard near the river, is being rehabbed. When I drove by last week, all the weeds had been cleared, and several new ties had been installed with more waiting to go in. The crossing had also been cleared off all dirt and debris. New business on this old branch?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/
Image

GTW6401
how bout no
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by GTW6401 »

SD80MAC wrote:I don't know if this has been reported, but they've started demolishing the old Pioneer Sugar elevators in Carrollton.
Image

I suppose getting a shot of the C30-7s going by there was a wise choice back in September, considering both are going be history soon.

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

AARR wrote:
JDavis21835 wrote:Also, I know the elevator to the south, Their Carrolton location is served by SBS. If memory serves me right, the Zilwaukee elevator HESR served this elevator, would that remain the case?
I believe you are correct that HESR services the Zilwaukee elevator whiloe LSRC services the Carrolton one.

Although I wonder why HESR services Lafarge on the same Carrolton branch as the elevator :?
I know that the Lafarge location has received rail in the past, but I cannot recall any traffic in and out of that location in years. In fact, I dont recall any traffic there since the "flat" storage in Zilwaukee was opened. No river traffic, or truck traffic at the Carrolton either.

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32159
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by AARR »

JDavis21835 wrote:Although I wonder why HESR services Lafarge on the same Carrolton branch as the elevator :?
I know that the Lafarge location has received rail in the past, but I cannot recall any traffic in and out of that location in years. In fact, I dont recall any traffic there since the "flat" storage in Zilwaukee was opened. No river traffic, or truck traffic at the Carrolton either.[/quote]
Thank for the update about Lafarge in Carrollton, JD. Bad news to this railfan :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

SD80MAC wrote:I don't know if this has been reported, but they've started demolishing the old Pioneer Sugar elevators in Carrolton.
Im not sure where you have gotten your information on this demolition, but it doesn't appear to be the case. I was by there today, and nothing has changed from earlier this year. The majority of the factory, and sugar refining equipment were dismantled/removed this spring. Along with this, there seemed to be upgrades done to the packaging and handling portion of the facility for finished products. There was a new wall installed between the old factory and this location, along with a lot of electrical work. Any process equipment from the factory that Pioneer Sugar, and or Dore Demolition, was saved and is currently stored east of the elevators. The crane that was used for a majority of the demolition at the site is sitting with the saved process equipment, probably waiting to load it out.

There is no other equipment, or office trailers left at the location. The silos are still in use, and it appears they are still getting rail service as there is a cut of cars sitting on the siding east of the HSER main

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 32159
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by AARR »

JDavis21835 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I don't know if this has been reported, but they've started demolishing the old Pioneer Sugar elevators in Carrolton.
There is no other equipment, or office trailers left at the location. The silos are still in use, and it appears they are still getting rail service as there is a cut of cars sitting on the siding east of the HSER main
At one time one of those biofuel companies was reportedly looking at this site but apparently, like so many other times at other locations, it didn't happen.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by hoborich »

This would have added 830MW of capacity at that facility. They withdrew their air permit applications, some stating it was due to no demand for electricity.
This doesn't say much for the long awaited economic recovery.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM
Posts: 3383
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Columbus Ohio
Contact:

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by redside20 »

From the other board..A rail spur is being reimplemented to the GM Hamtramck Plant
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/MichRR ... rameLP.htm
Exit stage left

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Well the Zilwaukee Peavy location has been receiving Grain for a few weeks now. I would expect some trains to head out of there this winter/spring.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Perrysburg Ohio

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not surprising, Even with some power plant closures I'd think there's some pretty serious over capacity in electrical generation capacity in Michigan. Between the reduction in the industrial base (for those that did not generate their own power), the overall population loss (how much less electricity does today's Detroit take compare to a generation ago?) & efficiencies gained at the plants/locations from upgraded equipment (everything from lighting to motors etc.) It'd be a safe bet that with a supply system set up for 1970's era consumption there's quite a bit of capacity to work through before a new "big" power plant would be needed. (to say nothing of addressing localized issues by using natural gas powered turbine plants instead).
hoborich wrote:
This would have added 830MW of capacity at that facility. They withdrew their air permit applications, some stating it was due to no demand for electricity.
This doesn't say much for the long awaited economic recovery.

User avatar
SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Somewhere north of Jackson but south of Leslie
Contact:

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I would say that the problem with the electrical grid in MI is not capacity but that the power flows to the wrong places. For example how many large factories that were open in the 70's that are not here today. Large power lines and sub stations were built into those facilities and now they go nowhere. How many times have you driven past the site of a large factory and all that is left is a cement pad and the substation.

Right now the company I work for (in Mason Mi.) Is building two huge new buildings. The power lines into our facility was at it's max. We upgraded out substation ran new feeders to all the existing buildings and of coarse to the new ones. Now Consumers is in the process of replacing all of the transmission lines to our facility (the current ones are too small) We can not open the new buildings until the mains coming into the new buildings are finished.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Perrysburg Ohio

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'd agree with that, I'm sure that there's quite an infrastructure in place for places like Flint that are no longer necessary, contrasted to your work situation where the upgrades are necessary.
SousaKerry wrote:I would say that the problem with the electrical grid in MI is not capacity but that the power flows to the wrong places. For example how many large factories that were open in the 70's that are not here today. Large power lines and sub stations were built into those facilities and now they go nowhere. How many times have you driven past the site of a large factory and all that is left is a cement pad and the substation.

Right now the company I work for (in Mason Mi.) Is building two huge new buildings. The power lines into our facility was at it's max. We upgraded out substation ran new feeders to all the existing buildings and of coarse to the new ones. Now Consumers is in the process of replacing all of the transmission lines to our facility (the current ones are too small) We can not open the new buildings until the mains coming into the new buildings are finished.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM
Posts: 3383
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Columbus Ohio
Contact:

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by redside20 »

Is it true? I'm sort of pinching myself...But an Alabama manufacturer of cast iron pipe is coming to Flint. Coming to the old Buick City property
http://www.freep.com/article/20131113/B ... s-RACER-GM
Exit stage left

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

redside20 wrote:Is it true? I'm sort of pinching myself...But an Alabama manufacturer of cast iron pipe is coming to Flint. Coming to the old Buick City property
http://www.freep.com/article/20131113/B ... s-RACER-GM
Dont expect it to be long term. They are the supplier to the Genesee County new raw water supply project. My guess is they will build a shop big enough to make their pipe for this project. Once they have supplied the pipe for the contract, this shop will be closed, or continue on at a very limited basis. Big pipe is a logistical pain to transport, so it makes sense to locate near a large project on a temporary basis.

Post Reply