Amtrak Pere Marquette

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Pere Marquette

Unread post by pudgy »

I haven't heard anything recently about the status of our GR Amtrak train. Has its existance been spared, or is it still potentially on the chopping block? I would hate to see this train disappear. If anything, it is almost a guaranteed train while sitting in the depot in Holland. I have also riden it from Holland to GR to see what it was like, and I would now like to take the train from GR to Chicago, but I haven't got any time, or $, for at least the next 2 years. So my ability to ride this train it questionable. Hopefully, it will be around for a few years, or even possibly longer.
Big Easy

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

You could leave GR at 7:35am and get to Chicago before noon, then catch the one back to GR at 5pm and be in GR after 10pm in one day. Plus with Amtrak's Weekly Specials a one way ticket is $8.60 but their limited to about 8 a day. The Pere Marquette was fun when I went last July.

Here's 370 at Holland back in June 2003.

MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Re: Amtrak Pere Marquette

Unread post by RailCanon »

pudgy wrote:Hopefully, it will be around for a few years, or even possibly longer.
You should try to ride it before the year is out. It will die if congress says yes to Dubya's plans to kill Amtrak's funding. :cry:

BNSF 1088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BNSF 1088 »

It is still up in the air for the Pere Marquette and Blue water trains as far as the State of Michigan Funding goes.
Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF Conductor Lafayette LA