Lansing's Old Town railroad spur to be reactivated

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Lansing's Old Town railroad spur to be reactivated

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Someone wondered about this building once:

Here's an article about it from Lansing Pulse:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing ... short.html

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That article is bigger than the building :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here is the latest from another board
Went thru Old Town Lansing today and parked across the tracks from Freidland. There hasn't been anything done on the spur to spot cars for Freidland. Still lots of brush and small trees growing between the tracks. Anyone know what the schedule is for starting to use these tracks again? Also, for those who are familiar with that area, the old coal silos are gone. Judging from the newly planted grass they've been gone at least a month. Sure looks different.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Has anything happened yet?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JJ - Nothing new that I am aware of

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I wonder if any trains have kind of snuck by on the line yet without anyone noticing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

atrainguy60 wrote:I wonder if any trains have kind of snuck by on the line yet without anyone noticing.
No, you have not missed any trains.

Has anyone considered NIMBY's might stand in the way of this long dormant line reopening?

kevinm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kevinm »

i watched friedland getting an empty scrap hopper several years ago, but dont remember them getting 3 hoppers- the china bound steel amping this up ? wonder how friedland will shuttle the cars back and forth as needed or wont need to?

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MichRails »

I might be wrong but I thought they were going to be shipping cardboard. Am I wrong? :?

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

The line keeps going past the QD spur all the way past MLK blvd. to Reid Machinery. But due to a snow plow messing up the track the Lansing and Jackson RR has not switched it (or fixed it to my knowledge). Here are some picks I took at Reid past MLK in 2010. In 2008 there was a different large flat on a spur there: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1076 ... 8285403393
I would give my balls and a few fingers for a good quality video of the ADBF high-nose GP pulling that 6-axel flat out of there and then down past QD... and over mt.hope and washington with those old crossing lights there...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MichRails wrote:I might be wrong but I thought they were going to be shipping cardboard. Am I wrong? :?
Yes, that was the rumor. Cardboard, not metal.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

ANYWAY... Last summer in North Lansing they took out the old cement silos by the darn and cleaned up the track area by Friedlands. Must mean that they are getting ready to roll. I can't wait to see a video of the ADBF GP high-nose going down that old old track over turner, round the bend, then over Grand River and past the old switch tower. That is going to be cool. I bet that train will go so slow that you could walk down Turner paralleled filming it over every crossing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sooooo has anyone considered that maybe the delay is due to NIMBY's opposing reopening the track?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Alrighty, cleaned up the thread of references to rustbeltrailroad's video which showed major trespassing and the references to it.
A: don't post videos where people are blatantly trespassing.
B: if someone does, just flag the post so it's reported to the mods and we can remove it without having to then clean up a thread of offtopic replies.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:Alrighty, cleaned up the thread of references to rustbeltrailroad's video which showed major trespassing and the references to it.
Good, because it's pretty bad when someone flat out states that they don't trespass after posting a video showing them trespassing in the worst possible way. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

kevinm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kevinm »

Larry G wrote:Image
Circa 1898
NYCS(MC) MI Lansing-05
05/1971 - Lansing, MI - North Lansing Depot Thanks cagceg1!!!!

Two photos at the same location over 70 some years. Does anyone have a date the North Lansing depot was razed?
i started work at Motor Wheel in 1974 (immediately to the north of this depot site) and dont remember any building but the little square block addition

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

kevinm wrote: i started work at Motor Wheel in 1974 (immediately to the north of this depot site) and dont remember any building but the little square block addition
Kevin, do you know what the purpose was of closing McKinley St. to through traffic? I always wondered about that when I was a kid. I know the Lake Lansing Rd. extension probably had something to do with it, but did Motor Wheel push for it as well to keep that street private for whatever reason?

Do you remember what year that would have been? I'm guessing mid-70s. I was born in '67 and remember my parents driving down McKinley often. I always looked both ways as we crossed the tracks near Motor Wheel hoping to see a train coming, but never had any luck.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

KzooNS/GDLKFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KzooNS/GDLKFan »

Ben Higdon wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of a train running past MA at its new locale! I hadn't heard the tower was saved...I'll have to pay it a visit. Would have been nice if they'd turned it 90 degrees before re-situating the tower, but I don't want to split hairs. :mrgreen:
An operator I knew at BO Tower had worked MA in the past, he didn't mention much more than the "colorful characters" around there in the wee hours.

Is BO tower here in Kzoo still active, or was that transferred to Gearhart?

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

BO tower is still active.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

KzooNS/GDLKFan wrote: Is BO tower here in Kzoo still active, or was that transferred to Gearhart?
You don't get out much, do you.