Lansing's Old Town railroad spur to be reactivated

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: Lansing's Old Town railroad spur to be reactivated

Unread postby Doktor No » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:44 pm

"Not gonna die on a hill about it"...GOOD ONE middlemich!!!
When I looked at my Ancestor.com history I found we had a relative that dug post holes gratis on a hill in Palestine a long long time ago. Never got much recognition for it either. He was called Golgotha Slim or some such thing. Liked olives too....
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby GP30M4216 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Time to jump start the rumor mill:

Just before Memorial Day, the Old Town spur was clear cut from the csx south to at least below the North St crossing. All those saplings and the tall grass are gone. Also, as part of a potential expansion of the North Lansing historic district, the LS&MS Land Line marker at Grand River/Cesar Chavez is being included as a historic object of significance.
GP30M4216
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby NS3322 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:26 pm

GP30M4216 wrote:Time to jump start the rumor mill:

Just before Memorial Day, the Old Town spur was clear cut from the csx south to at least below the North St crossing. All those saplings and the tall grass are gone. Also, as part of a potential expansion of the North Lansing historic district, the LS&MS Land Line marker at Grand River/Cesar Chavez is being included as a historic object of significance.

Did someone ever figure out who bought the Petoskey Trolley? :D Jk

Kidding aside, this is very interesting information. Thank you for sharing!
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby DaveO » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Having trees growing through your track would lend great weight to an adverse abandonment petition being granted.
That is of course should someone decide to file one with the Surface Transportation Board.
When I look at where the line runs, I can imagine that somebody probably dreams of being able to use the railroad land as their own.
But it's probably JAIL doing more or less routine maintenance.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby MiddleMI » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 am

GP30M4216 wrote:Time to jump start the rumor mill:

Just before Memorial Day, the Old Town spur was clear cut from the csx south to at least below the North St crossing.

I can't really think this means anything until you see more work on the southern end of the spur, which is the most interesting part. This part you're talking about cuts through two large industrial parcels. I'll start getting more interested if I see them doing anything where the actual customer on this line will be. As far as I can tell from recent aerials, the part between Ensel and North Street only had 2 trees on the tracks. South of North to Beaver is maybe 4 trees. It's the part between Beaver and Clinton as you get deeper into Old Town that is really forested.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk