Q195/Q196 Going To Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Q195/Q196 Going To Ohio

Unread post by gridejq »

FYI Because of the "delays" runnning via GR Q196-28 is running via Garrett today and will be routed north at Fostoria and then to Walbridge and up the Lincoln Secondary. CSX realizes there will be delays on all trains but there was some major delays in the first few trains run each way. Some ran on time and did well but CSX is testing the timing it makes today and whenever else they run via Garrett to compare to the GR times.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Q195/Q196 Going To Ohio

Unread post by Y@ »

Interesting. What are the reasons behind the delays? Long wait for crew changes, opposing traffic, or combination of the two?
Bottom text.

¶aragraph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ¶aragraph »

As best as I can tell, here's the running times for the past few days. I'd imagine it will get similar run times through Ohio, maybe slightly shorter, but will CSX enjoy the added extra crew cost plus possibly slowing down many more B&O trains versus the few that go through Lansing daily? Most of the delays appear to be between Chicago and Porter IN. Crew changes are very short in Grand Rapids.

q19522 15:43 running time
q19523 11:50 running time
q19525 14:30 running time
q19527 14:35 running time
q19621 12:15 running time
q19622 15:45 running time
q19624 9:55 running time
q19626 14:00 running time

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

They should be able to run one crew Chicago Toledo. Their is no reason it needs to operate via Fostoria. Send it north at Deshler.

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

is this permanent? or just for today? if it's permanent....well, darn...that didn't last long :(

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Don't jump off a bridge yet, this it not quite the same as information I have heard. The train is running via Garrett today for a couple of reasons, the biggest being signal testing on the BRC, which seems to cause congestion anytime they do it. The Grand Rapids crews are not qualified down the Blue Island sub to Barr, the NS had some kind of track work going on, so off to Garrett it went...There have been some changes to the Q195/196 profiles, however they are still going via Grand Rapids.
Last edited by Typhoon on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Crew changes and coverage of crews isnt an issue...traffic is a so so issue especially around Chicago and coming in and out of 59th Street and on the NS as CSX trains hold at Porter quite often now. Paragraph I know what "system" you are using to calculate running times but technically that is not all of what the issue is...you have to take the schedule given to the customer and then also look at ramp cut offs and offerred pick up times. I know for a fact that all the OS I have seen on every train are decent but like mentioned before Q195 takes a hit leaving and hasnt hit the 1000 departure time once. Q196-22 may have had a 15:45 running time but what you are seeing is last OS into Detroit TV only once on ShipCSX...not the breakdown of the train and yarding instructions and so forth. So since Q196 is suppose to arrive at 1700 into Detroit and placed by 2200 and it was through Plymouth at 2215....it was already extremely late arrival and placement wise. The logistics of the train have to be looked at not just how fast it can cover ground. The train didnt actually tie up and be broken down almost 10 hrs late and that means the customer pickup time of 1000 the next am is pushed back.

And as for one crew between Chicago and Toledo...dont see it happenning since they run nothing in the long pool due to timing as it is. Q324 runs via Deshler as well as Q200 and they both change at Garrett. I can see it making it in my opinion but CSX probably wont change the practice of changing these trains off the short pool as it did today. This is one reason they are testing times to see if it can be done. The via Deshler or via Fostoria route is determined usually by traffic but either route can be decent time wise.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Typhoon I received a few "notes" from decent sources that yes there was the trackwork and so forth but there was actually a pilot available and they have working on trying to make the traffic more efficient and preparing for the upcoming North Baltimore short haul trains....I guess its who you believe in the long run...I really cant go much more into detail then I already have on this type of forum but the next few months will be wild needless to say.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Q200 goes via Fostora, at least as far as I have seen it. And all of what JQ mentioned, is what I had been saying about departure and arrival times, as far as putting it away and building it. sure it can get over the road, and it looks like the GR boys are doing a fine job of it, (hats off to the GR boys) but like I was saying, if it takes you three hours to build it, and the "normal" departure calls for a 1:15 after on duity, then you lose 1:45 every time off the bat. The Detroit managers should know this, but then again after the clearing house last year, everyone that knew about the problems at Livernois is gone now. But at the same time even though "Chicago" knew about it, it did little to do anything about it.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Wouldn't it have the same problems getting the train built/leaving Detroit whether it went via GR or Garrett?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

The departure time has been pushed back 1 hour at Livernois, still profiled to GR.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Typhoon wrote:The departure time has been pushed back 1 hour at Livernois, still profiled to GR.
Not really sure what that is going to do. This is just based on my experance of working the Livernois van jobs, as long as the physical work of building the train is done by the outbound crew, they could push it back 10 hours and it would not make a diffrence. As I see it, until "we" (CSX as a coporation) decides to buck up and pay CR to put in a job to switch the outbound trains, and now that there are two with in a few hours (150 & 195) it wont change. The biggest single killer every day I worked the job, was having to #1 switch out the 53' well cars for that nights Q131, & #2 having to block my train because the crane opperators/CSXI cound not figure out how to stack all the Jacksonvills in one track, the Port of Newerk in another, ect. I always had to unshuffle there work to make it blocked right.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

By Deshler at 16:20 on bad signals following a N-820 loaded coal hopefully not all the way to Walbridge. Should have made left turn at Deshler.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

if its by deshler and following, good chance it will.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

JoJames wrote:By Deshler at 16:20 on bad signals following a N-820 loaded coal hopefully not all the way to Walbridge. Should have made left turn at Deshler.
No it should not have. There was a reason for running it via F tower

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I've heard that Leymoyne is beautiful this time of year :lol: Seriously though, while it would have been interesting seeing it go by my back yard, I'm sure that there are legitimate reason(s) for going via Fostoria. could have done some "real world" time studies perhaps? There could have been some traffic up north of Deshler too - late afternoons have been good for a couple of northbounds (Q512 & 324) lately.
Typhoon wrote:
JoJames wrote:By Deshler at 16:20 on bad signals following a N-820 loaded coal hopefully not all the way to Walbridge. Should have made left turn at Deshler.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

MSchwiebert wrote:I've heard that Leymoyne is beautiful this time of year :lol: Seriously though, while it would have been interesting seeing it go by my back yard, I'm sure that there are legitimate reason(s) for going via Fostoria. could have done some "real world" time studies perhaps? There could have been some traffic up north of Deshler too - late afternoons have been good for a couple of northbounds (Q512 & 324) lately.
Typhoon wrote:
Why Fostoria? Clearance issues? Could have at least got it around the coal train between Defiance and Deshler.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

I would guess the main reason FUEL.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

And we have a winner! There is no real good place to fuel a train that runs Bates way.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Typhoon wrote:And we have a winner! There is no real good place to fuel a train that runs Bates way.
It's hard to believe that the train would need to be refueled from Chicago. Or is fuel cheaper in Toledo compared to Chicago or Detroit?