Michigan Cabooses

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Michigan Cabooses

Unread post by Jochs »

caboose9 wrote:Jochs wrote, "What about the caboose along the Kal-Haven Trail in Alamo?"

Do you know the railroad it came from &/or the road number &/or the address?

I list no caboose(s) for Alamo, MI, but I do list one at the Kal-Haven Trailhead near 10th St., Oshtemo Twp., Kalamazoo - steel, cupola, EJ&E 528 VBSX 538.

Roger
OK, that may be the one...I'll have to check it out some time. I remember there was one, (it was closed when I was there) where you could buy trail passes. You don't need a trail pass to use the trail any more from what I understand.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Lansing DT&I caboose

Unread post by caboose9 »

Steel, wide vision cupola, DT&I 141 caboose, upon retirement, became the Artrain ART X5/ARTX 0005 office car. Sometime about 2008, the caboose and passenger cars were retired in Ann Arbor, MI, to be replaced by the Artrailers (semis). About 2 years ago the caboose moved from Ann Arbor to Walled Lake, MI, where it became ABRX 0005 and was for sale. Earlier this year ABRX 0005 was moved to the CSX North Yard in Lansing, MI.

Was DT&I 141 sold before it moved to Lansing or is it still for sale in the CSX Yard there? If it was sold, who owns it now?

Thanks, Roger
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Lansing DT&I caboose

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

caboose9 wrote:Steel, wide vision cupola, DT&I 141 caboose, upon retirement, became the Artrain ART X5/ARTX 0005 office car. Sometime about 2008, the caboose and passenger cars were retired in Ann Arbor, MI, to be replaced by the Artrailers (semis). About 2 years ago the caboose moved from Ann Arbor to Walled Lake, MI, where it became ABRX 0005 and was for sale. Earlier this year ABRX 0005 was moved to the CSX North Yard in Lansing, MI.

Was DT&I 141 sold before it moved to Lansing or is it still for sale in the CSX Yard there? If it was sold, who owns it now?

Thanks, Roger
Not sold, still owned by Railmark to my knowledge roger. For sale currently however thru Sterling Rail.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing DT&I caboose

Unread post by Robertrains »

caboose9 wrote:Steel, wide vision cupola, DT&I 141 caboose, upon retirement, became the Artrain ART X5/ARTX 0005 office car. Sometime about 2008, the caboose and passenger cars were retired in Ann Arbor, MI, to be replaced by the Artrailers (semis). About 2 years ago the caboose moved from Ann Arbor to Walled Lake, MI, where it became ABRX 0005 and was for sale. Earlier this year ABRX 0005 was moved to the CSX North Yard in Lansing, MI.

Thanks, Roger

It went to the former COE Rail before the "Michigan Star Clipper" stopped running. The dinner train used that caboose and I saw it on that train, 12-2009. The train's last run was for New Year's 2010!

Here's one of my shots of that caboose, 9-1-2010: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2263765
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Lawrence, MI, Caboose

Unread post by caboose9 »

Hi,

There's an STB filing to abandon 10 miles of track from the junk yard west of Lawrence, MI, to the eastern end of track at Paw Paw, MI. In Lawrence, there's a cupola caboose and a few freight cars in an area bounded by S. Paw Paw St., E. James St., Blackman St., & South St. http://binged.it/TpHT2Q

I suspect the caboose is 1 of the two EJ&E/KLSC steel, cupola cars that have been in Hartland, Lawrence, &/or Paw Paw for a while: EJ&E 541 to PREX 541 to EHHX 541, or EJ&E 542 to KLSC 542 to KLSC PREX 542.

Is anyone living, traveling, or working in this southwestern Michigan locale that could take a look at the caboose in order to ID it?

Thanks, Roger, Marietta, OH
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

martinsuper
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by martinsuper »

Roger,

The caboose is still there but all the track is gone. I tried to buy the caboose, but the company has already sold it along with two box cars and a flat car.

Its EJ&E #541. See attachment.

-Martin
Attachments
PART_1414877393233_2014110195172730.jpg
EJ&E 541

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Did private owner buy or scrap dealer? Report here was 2 more were at TeaPot dome with homeless living in them? Those were the two for the wine/dinner train and the tourist train which had rear headlights mounted on them for back-up moves.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

After doing a little searching, (and never knowing it existed in the 25 years of living within a few miles of it) I figured I would mention a caboose in somebodies yard, at the end of a road in Ferrysburg, MI. You would never see it unless you drove to the end and actually looked for it. Looks to be a wood PRR caboose painted red and yellow. I wrote the number down a while back but can't find it. Last I was told the owner had passed and everything was up for sale. It sits along the back edge of his pool, at the end of Jordan Ln. off of W. Spring Lake Rd.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Kalamazoo Caboose

Unread post by PatAzo »

1500 block of West South St. Wooden caboose lettered Chicago & North Western. I have no idea if it was a CNW caboose or not.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Kinda surprised no one mentioned the Detroit and Mackinaw woodsided caboose in Comins, Michigan. Looks pretty sharp. Comins used to be the end of the D&M's old Ausable branch, which was the former Ausable and Northwestern.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Is it in addition to this one from Kirkpatrick's list. Comins, ATSF 1635 no markings, ex-GTW 75002, steel cupola, downtown M-33

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Speaking of ex-GTW cabooses theres one in White Piegon on the ole wye thats now dead ended at rhe Grand Elk. This was owned by Gordie Morris and I think the family still owns it? Conrail moved it years ago down on the Kazoo local. Neil Hagalgans was engineer and Haskins was conductor and they hit a car with their Geep 38 and the hack. I know GTW would like to know the GTW number if anybody remembers? MSO has their shoving platform caboose also in Piegon.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I don't think this thread has any exceptions about cabooses that are still in service but everyone probably knows about the CSX bay window based out of Wyoming Yard used on the yard jobs. I occasionally have seen a C&O/Chessie System extended vision caboose used on this run too.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Only active cab in GR is the CSX wide vision...the rest are OOS. Holland only has a shoving platform now...not a caboose per se...it is just a modified car
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

gbw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gbw »

I'm working on updated captive Michigan caboose list

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/cabooselist.html

any updates or correction would be welcome, I only had a list from 2008 to work with

thanks in advance for any help

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

The DTSL Bicentennial Caboose is in Galesburg on a gentleman's property.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Lowell - GTW 77960 was moved to 10395 Peck Lake Rd outside Lowell three or four years ago. It is now owned by Terry Witherell who has done a very nice cosmetic restoration on it. I can take a picture of it if desired. My son enjoyed driving some spikes for the display track.

I've been told that the Ravenna Historical Society has purchased a caboose through contacts at the Coopersville and Marne RR to be placed at the Musketawa Trail trailhead in Ravenna this summer. Anyone know which caboose this is?

I've also heard rumors that the Ionia caboose has been acquired for restoration and placement at the Grand River Valley Rail-Trail trailhead in Ionia.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Mark F wrote: I've been told that the Ravenna Historical Society has purchased a caboose through contacts at the Coopersville and Marne RR to be placed at the Musketawa Trail trailhead in Ravenna this summer. Anyone know which caboose this is?
The GT caboose at Feenstra's Greenhouse on 68th Ave north of Allendale

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Mark F wrote: I've been told that the Ravenna Historical Society has purchased a caboose through contacts at the Coopersville and Marne RR to be placed at the Musketawa Trail trailhead in Ravenna this summer. Anyone know which caboose this is?
I'm guessing this would be the one that came into town with the John Engler, and it still just sitting on its panel track. I don't know the road name or number, if there is any.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

MQT3001 wrote:
I'm guessing this would be the one that came into town with the John Engler, and it still just sitting on its panel track. I don't know the road name or number, if there is any.
No. That one is still for sale and sitting in Coopersville. I believe the one that has been purchased is the gtw caboose on 68th st in Alendale.