Michigan Cabooses

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Cabooses

Unread post by DLM »

Galesburg, MI, Cabooses

Postby caboose9 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:11 pm
Hi,

About 12 years ago it was reported that Dr. James Smith, Galesburg, MI, has four cabooses - PM/C&O A609, ATSF?/GTW #?, GTW 77028, & PRR/D&M 207 - on his property. About 3 years ago someone, who didn't have an actual address, did tell me "they are south of town on S. 38th St."

Surely someone must know if and where these four cabooses are located or that they have been moved.

Does anyone maintain a listing a extant/preserved Michigan &/or D&M &/or GTW cabooses?

Any help will be appreciated, Roger

I drove the semi that carried the trucks and track panel for one of the cabooses there. It is on the west side of 38th south of I-94. They are along a very long driveway into the woods. This was 20 years ago. The caboose came from Coopersville, MI.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

There is a ex-Santa Fe caboose at the Depot museum in Alden, MI. N number visible

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

Back about '06 there was a caboose near Nirvana, Michigan. It is a wide spot in the road at the Kings Hwy. and U.S. 10 east of Baldwin. I believe the caboose was on the north side of 40th Street west of the kings Hwy.. The last time I was it the paint on it was white and there were no markings of any type on it. It resembled some of the wooden units the GTW had back in the 60's. I appeared as though it had been there for some time. I first saw it about 2002.

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

Tom Train wrote, "There is an ex-Santa Fe caboose at the Depot museum in Alden, MI. No number visible."

I list that one as wood, cupola, ATSF? (on ATSF trucks) to GTW to RD, Depot Museum. It reportedly came to Alden, MI, from Mancelona, MI.

Alden also has steel, cupola, GTW 79173 at Camp Hayo-Went-Ha, north of town and N&W 518677, William Shannon, no location given. Shannon is listed as living in South Bend, IN.

Cheers, Roger
-----------------
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

The Smith caboose from Coopersville, MI, is wood, cupola, GTW 77028. Roger

#FF0040 wrote, "I drove the semi that carried the trucks and track panel for one of the cabooses there. It is on the west side of 38th south of I-94. They are along a very long driveway into the woods. This was 20 years ago. The caboose came from Coopersville, MI."

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Stinger4mewrote, "About '06 there was a caboose near Nirvana, Michigan, a wide spot in the road at the Kings Hwy. and U.S. 10 east of Baldwin. I believe the caboose was on the north side of 40th Street west of the Kings Hwy. It resembles some of the wooden units the GTW had back in the 60's."

I'd say this is the caboose I list as "wood, cupola, GTW? #?, 3648 40th St., Idlewild, MI".

There are at least 9 wood, cupola cabooses reported at Springhill Camp, Evart, about 24 miles east of Idlewild.

Cheers, Roger

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

There is a steel caboose on M-115 in the front yard. One side of the caboose is painted in ATSF and the opposite side is GTW. The owner uses it as a guest house. There is a steel caboose near Lake Station, MI. It is adjacent to the rail trail and close to a C&O coaling tower.

Stinger

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the caboose sitting in Comstock Park next to the MQT line.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

J T wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the caboose sitting in Comstock Park next to the MQT line.
You just did. :D

I just noticed that one this week. Does anyone know the history of the cab?

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Stinger4me wrote, "There is a steel caboose on M-115 in the front yard."

Where on M-115? Roger

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Stinger4me wrote, "There is a steel caboose near Lake Station, MI. It is adjacent to the rail trail and close to a C&O coaling tower."

Steel, bay window, NKP 487, built 1962, to N&W 557587, last reported as "no markings". Roger

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote, "I'm surprised no one has mentioned the caboose sitting in Comstock Park next to the MQT line."

Steel, wide vision cupola, C&O 903308 to GLLX 3308, reported as "previously at the GM Delphi Plant, Coopersville, MI".

Wood, cupola, no markings, C&O 90859 is reported at Maranatha Bible Church Camp, 149 Lamoreaux Dr., Comstock Park, MI.

Roger

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

caboose9 wrote:Steel, wide vision cupola, C&O 903308 to GLLX 3308, reported as "previously at the GM Delphi Plant, Coopersville, MI".

Wood, cupola, no markings, C&O 90859 is reported at Maranatha Bible Church Camp, 149 Lamoreaux Dr., Comstock Park, MI.

Roger
Hmmm...I started at the first post and scanned through every page. I guess that beer I was drinking last night blurred my vision a little. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Roger: As you head north on M-115 from where it passes under U.S. 10 it is less than a mile from the gas station on the west side of M-115. Hope this helps. The owner has a miniature outdoor railroad set up as well.. The caboose is steel.

Stinger

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Stinger4me wrote, "As you head north on M-115 from where it passes under U.S. 10 it is less than a mile from the gas station on the west side of M-115."

Steel, cupola, ATSF 1620 to GTW 75000 to fake ATSF 999005 (1 side), M-115, 5 miles northwest of Farwell, MI, formerly at Shepherd, MI. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=803055

The real ATSF 999005 (ex-ATSF 1937) is displayed at the SP Depot, Tempe, AZ.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPict ... ?id=192146

Roger

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

I am trying to figure out where the image was taken. Back in the 60's I worked out of the Milw. Jct. for a time and lived in Detroit for quite a few years. Perhaps the caboose was on one of the "high line" tracks west of the Milw. Jct. diamonds and the office building. Thanks for posting that image!

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Re: Lowell MI GTW 77960 Morris Blazo, 2898 Gulliford Avenue, 49331
I am about 99% sure that this is the caboose now located at 10395 Peck Lake Rd, Lowell MI 49331 (Boston Twp - Ionia County) The current owner is Terry Witherell. He was placing it on a section of track next to his pole barn this afternoon. Terry told me that the caboose was built in 1925.
Tried to e-mail this info to Roger from http://www.michiganrailroads.com/MichRR ... seList.htm at caboose@fone.net but it got kicked back to me.

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MichRails »

Roger, I went on a Bing map ride to the camp at Evart. You can see the nine cabeese along with an Air Force bomber? The camp is south of 8 Mile Rd. and west of 95th Ave. You'll see the plane first then the cabeese are in a semi-circle. Be sure to use Bing because Google map of area is bad.
Neal

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

What about the caboose along the Kal-Haven Trail in Alamo?
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote, "What about the caboose along the Kal-Haven Trail in Alamo?"

Do you know the railroad it came from &/or the road number &/or the address?

I list no caboose(s) for Alamo, MI, but I do list one at the Kal-Haven Trailhead near 10th St., Oshtemo Twp., Kalamazoo - steel, cupola, EJ&E 528 VBSX 538.

Roger