Last Day Railroad Views of Charlotte OI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW junkie
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Last Day Railroad Views of Charlotte OI

Unread post by GTW junkie »

Thanks for the information AARR! I was hoping that perhaps O-I was receiving sand from the Rockwood plant so I had an excuse to serve the O-I plant with D&TS hoppers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Last Day Railroad Views of Charlotte OI

Unread post by AARR »

GTW junkie wrote:Thanks for the information AARR! I was hoping that perhaps O-I was receiving sand from the Rockwood plant so I had an excuse to serve the O-I plant with D&TS hoppers.
You can use your "modelers" license and create that movement on your layout :)

Also, GTW serviced the good-sized elevator at the end of the 2.5 mile branch southeast of Charlotte. And IIRC there was another elevator in downtown Charlotte as well as a lumber yard.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Last Day Railroad Views of Charlotte OI Plant

Unread post by Larry G »

GTW junkie wrote:
Larry G wrote:March 31, 2010...The final hoppers of sand, soda, and limestone have been unloaded in the underground bunkers at the OI plant and await pickup by CN. Production in the plant ends Th morning, April 1, with the furnace being shut down next week. Here are some views of the 3 tracks inside the plant grounds. Two tracks fed raw materials into the plant and at one time the other siding ran inside the plant for finished glass bottles. Currently the plant was using about 3.5 cars a day of raw materials brought in by CN. Now the empty hoppers await pick-up by the CN local and an era will come to an end. Shuttlewagon has moved its last hoppers at this plant.
Photos here...http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnai ... album=1454
Hi all. This is my first post, so let me start by thanking all of you for the great information you post, I’ve learned a lot. I model the GTW in the early 90’s and am planning a layout that includes Charlotte.

Larry, thanks so much for posting the pictures of the O-I plant, they are incredibly helpful! I don’t know how long you’ve been railfanning in Charlotte, but I am looking for information on the O-I plant operations in the 90’s. Specifically, what types and road names of hoppers were common then? Have you ever seen any of the D&TS 2-bay hoppers delivering sand?

Any information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your kind words on my photo report. To tell you the truth I can't recall specific road names on the hoppers over the years.
But here is my file of Charlotte Pics from over the years that may assist you further:
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnails-1348.html
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!