Trivia: Do you know your carferries?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BB
Railroadfan...fan

Trivia: Do you know your carferries?

Unread post by BB »

Anyone know what the Badger was named for and what the Spartan was named for :?:

Here's the no longer used Spartan in Ludington back in September.

MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Well, I belive the Badger was named for the Wisconsin Badger's..and like wise for MOU( I mean MSU), was there also an Wolverine???
Nice pic :shock: DavedaHESRnut

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Railnut wrote:Well, I belive the Badger was named for the Wisconsin Badger's..and like wise for MOU( I mean MSU), was there also an Wolverine???
Nice pic :shock: DavedaHESRnut
That would be correct from what I've heard. Can't remember where I've heard this from, also not sure of a Wolverine car ferry. July 2004 my dad and I went across the Lake Express from Muskegon to Milwaukee and then the Badger from Manitowoc to Ludington. If anyone gets the chance to take the Lake Express sometime, you have to go on top where the open deck is because it’s awesome when they clear the piers and rev the diesels up and you have to stand at a 45 degree angle to go against the wind. It's almost like hurricane force winds. Awesome 8) I've put together 13 pictures in a Yahoo photo album of the Milwaukee Trip if you want take a look. I think it'll work.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

No plans for a Wolverine

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The C&O in 1951 decided they needed two new carferrys to capture and retain their cross-lake market share and move the cars faster across the lake. They built the Spartan, named after the MSU team in the capitol of Michigan, and the Badger, named after the Wiscnsin state capitol team in Wisconsin. No plans for a third ship that i'm aware.

Here's the old girl at the #3 slip in July.