Mid Michigan Railfans

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
warlock_1492
Railroadfan...fan

Mid Michigan Railfans

Unread post by warlock_1492 »

Hello

I am new to this forum, and railfanning in general. I am from the Central Michigan area (Mount Pleasant), and was wondering if there were any railfans from this area on the boards here. I also go to Durand about once a week or so.

I am pretty much looking for any local knowledge, picture hotspots ect.

thank you
Chessie Systen fans are the best.

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Mid Michigan Railfans

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

HI i am Mike Nowakowski i done really live in mid michigan (Leonard MI) but i could tell you at Lapeer Mi has a nice station and not alot of trains but its ok but the rail traffic in Lapeer goes to Durand anyway, Flint has some places that i am not really sure of where they are but there is some, and Lansing has some good places. Thats all that i know thats close to mid michigan.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I remember the lack of trains when I went to school in Mount Pleasant, but I usually caught GLC at night when using the computer labs next to the tracks so it wasn't that bad.

Bay City and Saginaw are about an hour drive from Mt. Pleasant, so if your looking for the SBS or HESR, that would be the place I would recommend. Weekdays are a better time to find more traffic moving.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Hey if you go to Durand PM me, we can meet up sometime. I tend to do my most train watching there. Welcome aboard by the way.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Tell me about being in either Durand or Lansing. I'll come either place.

If you can find out when the plastic transload place is being switched in Clare, its a good time to get up close to the GLC.

I have no idea what or if the GLC and Mid Michigan interchange. Whatever it is, it certainly could not be considered a hotspot, either.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Hi my name is Justin (obviously from my screename) I live in Bay City and catch the HESR or LSRC normally. Check for my posts or search them on here if you want info on the operations around my area. I know the basics and the relative times trains run around here. Also be sure to check out my videos located at the link in my signature. I document them well so they give other railfans ideas on operations. Any questions feel free to PM me, welcome aboard and hope to see your trackside views.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

warlock_1492 wrote:Hello

I am new to this forum, and railfanning in general. I am from the Central Michigan area (Mount Pleasant), and was wondering if there were any railfans from this area on the boards here. I also go to Durand about once a week or so.

I am pretty much looking for any local knowledge, picture hotspots ect.

thank you
Hi there, I live in Okemos and am usually in Durand 1-3 times per week even though I live closer to Lansing. I like Durand because you get the Huron and Eastern (HESR) that comes in usually in early afternoon 12:30-1:45 M-Sat, and then they go back to Saginaw shortly thereafter. Sometimes they also have a coal train to take north that BNSF will have brought in or will be bringing back empties from Saginaw. Also, you get a daily GLC train that will go south. Times on this vary. Sometimes I will see them going south in early morning and returning through Durand to Owosso by 1pm, while other days they dont even come south through Durand until 6-10pm. I can never set a schedule with them. The CN is more predictable with at least a few freights running in the morning hours (6-noon), 396 which works the yard in Durand early to mid afternoon, usually a wb 301 mid to late afternoon, sometimes an autorack train from lansing to pontiac as I saw a week ago today (had a U.P. engine), then you get an occasional other thru freight between then and evening, 490 and its counterpart 491 which work the yard and use the holly to moterm(detroit). Overall, I prefer Durand over Lansing. Even though you have CSX in Lansing, I'd say its an overall better time in Durand. What days are you usually there?

Greg
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Hey,
Welcome to the board! I am also a pretty new guy to RailroadFan aswell. I love watching trains in Durand. What is your name because I go to Durand about twice a month and I have probably met you before. My name is Ben Waineo. I belong to the Durand Model Railroad Club (check it out). So you have probably seen me in there some Saturdays.

Anyway, welcome and I have learned a lot and I know you will too.

Ben