The HESR in the thumb.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: The HESR in the thumb.

Unread post by Racer »

I might be going off topic on this thread so forgive me, but has there been any updates on reviving the old CSX east of Brown City?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Racer wrote:I might be going off topic on this thread so forgive me, but has there been any updates on reviving the old CSX east of Brown City?
To my knowledge, no. There is a rumor that the (St. Clair) county parks and recreation group will purchase more of the line north/west of Avoca toward Yale to extend the Wadhams to Avoca trail, but with all the other infighting going on in the county government right now this seems to be only a rumor.

I have noticed the line south of Yale seems to be cleaned out still, but that was based on a single observation a couple weeks ago at highway speed over the R-O-W (the crossing was covered with dirt anyway)...
~ Charles W.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: The HESR in the thumb

Unread post by SW »

Drove from Owosso to Forestville on Saturday, and for the first time, passed thru Brown City. There were dozens of covered hoppers at the grain facility on the SE side of town. On Sunday at Michigan Sugar in Croswell, there were about a dozen cars: 8-9 tankers, and 3-4 covered hoppers, and a small pile of sugar beets.

Haven't seen much at Ruth all summer; didn't check this weekend. About 3 weeks ago there were 3 covered hoppers north of town next to the sugar beet loading area. Of the 4 or 5 times I've checked this past summer, that is the only time I saw anything around Ruth.
Owosso Steve

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Saw 5 covered hoppers at Helena Chemical in Croswell this past weekend at the end of the Croswell line. That is the most I've ever seen there; there usually aren't any.
Owosso Steve

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

SW wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 am
Saw 5 covered hoppers at Helena Chemical in Croswell this past weekend at the end of the Croswell line. That is the most I've ever seen there; there usually aren't any.
Isn’t the Sugar factory the last stop? Actually it seems to go further, past the lumber place and wraps around what looks like some house.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Helena located a fertilizer dealer on the south side of Michigan Sugar about 10 years ago or so.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:55 am
SW wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 am
Isn’t the Sugar factory the last stop? Actually it seems to go further, past the lumber place and wraps around what looks like some house.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Twelve covered hoppers at end of track just north of the Ruth Co-op Elevator this morning, next to the sugar beet loading yard.
In Croswell, there were several covered hoppers at Pioneer Sugar, as well as the usual few tankers.

Nothing this time at Helena Chemical. Last weekend there were 6 covered hoppers, rusty-reddish-orange, and those are usually potash loads.
Owosso Steve