Grand Elk RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Grand Elk RR

Unread post by J T »

General Motors Corp. was the biggest customer on the line. Since GM announced it would shutter its Wyoming stamping plant in 2009,
That has to be THE worst trendy word of the last year or so. Why can't people just say "CLOSE"??? Shutter just sounds like bad grammar. :evil:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

They say "shutter" because it leaves the possiblity that they "might" reopen the plant again.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GP30M4216 wrote:New from MLive.com today:

New railroad plans start-up in West Michigan
by Chris Wheelock
Monday February 02, 2009, 11:58 AM

"I'm disappointed by the STB decision," state Sen. Ray Basham, D-Taylor, said. "I still have the same concerns I had when I filed my comments, and we'll just have to see where this goes."

Basham, vice chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee, is one of five petitioners to the STB seeking to block the transaction, citing public safety, labor and competitive concerns. The STB was not persuaded.

Basham remains skeptical Grand Elk Railroad will live up to its promises.

"Yes, hiring people is a plus and investing money in track is a plus. It all sounds good on paper." he said, adding that he will continue to monitor for any delays to Amtrak passenger trains or increases in shipping costs on the line.

Chris Wheelock is a freelance writer in Kalamazoo.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... up_in.html
There's a legislator with his poop in a scoop. Still thinks Amtrak is involved :roll:

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

GDLK
So is this an abbriviation for GooD LucK RR ? :lol:

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Scooterb wrote:
GDLK
So is this an abbriviation for GooD LucK RR ? :lol:
GT was the "Good Track Road". From the looks of the photos on their capex plan, it is the "Good Luck Road" - Good luck to make it w/o a derailment :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Stitch wrote:They say "shutter" because it leaves the possiblity that they "might" reopen the plant again.
No, "shutter" these days is being used in place of "closed" simply because it's a trendy word.

Read the first sentence of the article on this page:

http://www.detroitruins.net/gallery/jacobriis.php

Yeah, I don't think that place has ANY possibility of being reopened. :lol:
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

Well, when they delay us at BO for a minute or two, you bet we gonna scream loudly!!!

Actually, I could almost guarantee that the BO operator will not let this shortline delay any of their trains or the Amtrak trains either.

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

I got a chuckle from the "Amtrak delays" part too.

Let's not even discuss trend words.
Ramp up, green, enhance, wall street/main street, perfect storm, slippery slope, issue, "x" is the new "x", free gift, sustainable... I could go on. And no one we know will be "epic"... pass OR fail. Hercules was epic. Maybe Patton. Apocalypto and the Passion of the Christ are epic stories. A webpage link, I'm afraid, valid or otherwise, is just a "fail", LOL. None of us are of such great import, though we may feel so. Nor will anyone or anything be "iconic".

Then there are euphemisms.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

amtrakjackson wrote:I got a chuckle from the "Amtrak delays" part too.

Ramp up, green, enhance, wall street/main street, perfect storm, slippery slope, issue, "x" is the new "x", free gift, sustainable... I could go on. And no one we know will be "epic"... pass OR fail. Hercules was epic. Maybe Patton. Apocalypto and the Passion of the Christ are epic stories. A webpage link, I'm afraid, valid or otherwise, is just a "fail", LOL. None of us are of such great import, though we may feel so. Nor will anyone or anything be "iconic".

I just got back to my desk after "dropping the kids off at the pool" and found this all very entertaining... :lol:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GT was the "Good Track Road". From the looks of the photos on their capex plan, it is the "Good Luck Road" - Good luck to make it w/o a derailment
I've read that GTW came up with this to poke a finger in the eye of PC. Because as bad as some of GTW's track was, it was probably still better than PC's :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MDH wrote:
amtrakjackson wrote:I got a chuckle from the "Amtrak delays" part too.

I just got back to my desk after "dropping the kids off at the pool" and found this all very entertaining... :lol:
What, pinched a loaf is not used any more? :lol:

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

How's about, 'bleed the lizard"??

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

The Browns went to the Superbowl...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

The Browns went to the Superbowl
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

WCDEAN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by WCDEAN »

Don Simon wrote:
Think we can design a paint scheme on their engines that would incorporate a nice set of Elk horns on the front of the nose?
:lol: . Might as well have fun with the paint scheme because the name, Grand Elk, sounds like a lodge for men named Homer Simpson :wink:
Don: Don't be calling me Homer

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Don Simon wrote:
GT was the "Good Track Road". From the looks of the photos on their capex plan, it is the "Good Luck Road" - Good luck to make it w/o a derailment
I've read that GTW came up with this to poke a finger in the eye of PC. Because as bad as some of GTW's track was, it was probably still better than PC's :)
Hi Don your not kidding PC had some bad track, Between saginaw and paines i can remember two huge derailments in the 1970's, One was right next to the wheeler road crossing, Cars were strewn all over the place coil steel laying all over the ground, And NAHX cylindrical covered hoppers laying on there sides, Its hard to believe guys but there was a 25MPH speed limit between saginaw and paines back then. And the other noticable derailment took place just west of the superior street crossing my mother had a friend that lived on burrows street, And she said the railcar was rocking back and forth at a 45 DEGREE ANGLE!! Before the car finelly dumped and took about a dozen other cars with it. Railcars were laying all over burrows street. There was one person that lived there and said one of the cars went rolling down the street, Oh my goodness what a site that would have been! This took place about 1974-1975.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Don: Don't be calling me Homer
:?: :?: :?:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

At least we'll get the occasional eastbound grain train from Albion on the Michigan Line instead of them heading west as they've done for many years.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Frankly, I dont see why so many people are against this railroad. This is darn close to the exact same situation that CSX and Marquette went through and I recall praises and rainbows. With as crappy as our economy is, I think its good to see a company wanting to pump life into that old NS line.
Nick

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

I don't get the impression that people are against this transaction- I'm not against it either. However, I do feel for those NS employees who will be forced to exercise their seniority elsewhere.

Spoke to an FRA inspector today; he mentioned the GER transaction will now take effect on 4/1/09, not 3/1.