Uss Gt. Lakes Works

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Uss Gt. Lakes Works

Unread post by KenB »

I see on the Locomotive Notes List that NRE-Dixmore has completed another locomotive for USS-Gt. Lakes Works in Ecorse, Mich. GLW 74, SW1000M is suposted to ship next week. In the past these locomotives have come to Detroit on CSXT 326. Locomotive is painted yellow with red lettering so have an eye.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Uss Gt. Lakes Works

Unread post by hoborich »

I believe they just announced 170 job cuts. They may not need that loco. Might also cut back 69T.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Yes they are laying off 200 persons. "D" furnace is down for reline, only one furnace is running however since they signed the contract months ago they have to take the locomotive and if spite of what everybody thinks the economy will come back in 2010 though I was at Meijer on sunday and looking at all the people carring items out of the store I have to ask, What recession?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

if spite of what everybody thinks the economy will come back in 2010 though I was at Meijer on sunday and looking at all the people carring items out of the store I have to ask, What recession?
My guess is 2012 and retail is way down from previous years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Well, I suppose on the bright side, 15% unemployment, means 85% of the people are working.
That said, it wasn't that long ago, they were telling us there would be no recession, and we were in for a "soft landing", whatever that is.
I tend to think it is probably worse than they are telling us, due to the fact that they have been lieing to us from the get-go. I also think maybe they really don't have a clue! "It's just a little slowdown", was the mantra, for quite a while.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I tend to think it is probably worse than they are telling us, due to the fact that they have been lieing to us from the get-go. I also think maybe they really don't have a clue! "It's just a little slowdown", was the mantra, for quite a while.
<nodding head inagreement>
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

mutant of Flat Rock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mutant of Flat Rock »

carloadings are indeed down but not down that much on the NS...

http://www.nscorp.com/mktgpublic/MKTGMe ... &index=348

coal is king on that RR....

another carloading site to check on thursdays is at transmatch.com.

so with that I really think a recession of the basic goods is kind of sensalization of the current issues with the banking bs.
Be swell

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Thankful for coal. People out of work still like to turn on the lights, and keep stuff in the frig. NS always seems to announce pretty good earnings. :D

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Is yellow the paint choice for safety? They already have one yellow switcher ("Big bird") and it always seems to look worse than the other deep blue units. Anyone have a current roster for both USS Great Lakes Works and also Delray Connecting? I know DC acquired some locomotives and jobs from in-house USS a year or two back. Just trying to get an idea of who has what and how much. Thanks for the update on the new unit's arrival Ken.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Yes, the yellow paint is for SAFETY. All USS plants are going to it. Correct, blue units look better when dirty but if you have ever been in a steel mill at night, even dirty yellow jumps out at you.

Do not have an up-dated roster of eather road handy. J. Reeds book COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO INDUSTRAIL LOCOMOTIVES, 3rd Edition is perty accurate.
KenB

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Unit was still at Dixmoor as of yesterday.

Bradcsx9121
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bradcsx9121 »

This is as best as my own information and what i found pictures of online, taken in the past couple of years.
Delray Connecting runs primarily ex-Great Lakes (DCRR #64 and #65) on their bottle train between Zug Island and their Mill in Ecourse. They also apperently have 3 other engines according to their official website.
http://www.tstarinc.com/Delray/delray-index.html

Delray Connecting is owned by Transtar which i think is owned by the US steel corporation.

And i have only seen two engines in Great Lakes Steel, #69 and the yellow engine he is referring to. Hopefully someone else can fill in on my missing information!
Brad Noyes~
These are pictures of the railroads i've posted.
http://naphotos.nerail.org/search/searc ... ODE=&POYE=

http://naphotos.nerail.org/search/searc ... ODE=&POYE=

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Hi Brad, welcome aboard!

USS has at least a few other engines for their in plant operations:
USS 66 arrived in late December 2004.
They also have a #73 for sure.

DCRR also acquired the USS #459, which in turn was a former Belt Ry. of Chicago unit, i think. (or maybe EJ&E?)

DCRR's other "original" units are 001, 002, and 003. 003 is a classic little SW1. All three sport the DCRR centennial paint scheme, for their 100th year in 2003.

Here are some photos of the DC #003 working at Jefferson Ave:

DCRR #429 brings hot bottle cars in front of the Finishing Mills along the riverfront:

DCRR #64 switching the bottle cars in front of the Finishing Mill on the River Side:
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/images ... ering].jpg

And finally, a photo of the DC #001 crossing Jefferson Avenue in Delray:
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/images ... ering].jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If it were me I don't think I'd paint my locomotives like a popsicle at a steel mill :)

Bradcsx9121
Railroadfan...fan

Hey,
Thanks. How did you (or the person who took the shot of 459 along the riverfront) get such a shot? from windsor?
Brad~

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

In the summer I work on a tourboat called the Diamond Queen, which sails for Diamond Jack's River Tours. The boat is kept in the Rouge River, but the tours run our of docks at Detroit's Hart Plaza and Wyandotte's Bishop Park. On the way down to Bishop from the Rouge we pass the Finishing Mills, so with a decent telephoto lense you can get a shot like the one of 459. i have a few others of various units in the same place as well

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

USS-Great Lakes Works 74, a new locomotive was in Wyoming, Mich on Dec 13, 2008 en-route from Dixmore, ILL to USS-Great Lakes Works in Ecorse, MI. Should be in Rougemere Yard in Dearborn, MI on Dec 14. Probley delivered to the Delray connecting on 15 Dec.
KenB

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

USS-Great Lakes Works 74 was delivered by the CSXT to the Delray Connecting RR on sunday, Dec 14, 2008.
KenB

Bradcsx9121
Railroadfan...fan

Does anyone know what kind of switcher Delray Connecting #65 is? Thanks!
Brad Noyes~