Utica Industrial track.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Utica Industrial track.

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Conrail picked up the rail from the passing track between 18 mile road & 18 1/2 miles road today. It was welded rail and had to be cut up to fit on the railcars. The conrail crane and the other cars will be on the other siding (FORD Vandyke side) until Wed. Rail will be used to replace some track near Livernois yard.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

When I first saw this thread, I thought they were starting to remove the track north of hall rd.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I guess there's nothing left to pass on the Utica Industrial Track anymore :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Thanks MD, I saw the crane sitting there yesterday on my way to wayne state and also got real nervous about the line north of hall road... has any word come down the pipes yet about its status or timetable for it?

Thanks as always for the info,

Karl

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

No nothing yet. The CEO hyrailed it a short while ago. But no word on when it will be pulled up. :(

Nick
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Utica Industrial track.

Unread post by Nick »

Sorry for bringing up such a dead topic. I live in the area, and have been interested in the slow decay of the Conrail line north of M59 in Utica and Shelby Township, Michigan. I wanted to know if anyone had any updates on the Utica Industrial Track, the unused portion, north of M-59?

This is what I know as of current...

The first set of rails crossing 22 mile road, traveling west from Shelby Road that would have gone to the Ford Trim property are gone. 22 Mile was repaved and stone/earth was put in where the tracks used to lay on the Ford Trim side of the road. On the other side of the 22 Mile, the tracks simply dead end just before crossing the road.

The second crossing just a few feet west of the former Ford Trim crossing, the "Packard Yard", is still there and one crossing signal remains, likely disconnected. That track continues a few miles north of this crossing where it dead ends just before Ryan Road. From the crossing southward from 22 Mile, the track continues until it dead ends about 1/4 mile from the M59 crossing. A relatively new culvert was installed, but the track was ripped up for several feet. All the ties are laying in a pile on the northern set of rails that dead end. The southern set of rails just dead end to gravel.

Continuing south from the "chopped" connection and heading south toward M59, there is significant erosion and ties hanging with no earth underneath them. Then we cross M59, and into active territory, just south of M59 and beyond.

Just wondering if anyone has any further development on the northern end...when it is planning on coming out, are trails going in? What is to become of the crossings on M59 and 22 Mile? I have read that trails were in the works, and then they were completed in Utica/Shelby Twp. but the tracks are still there so maybe they're not going to use the line for a trail. The crossing signals at M59 are deteriorating significantly, and one set had its gates removed.

Thoughts?

-Nick