Mysterious Amtrak on MC Line; other Kzoo notes

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Mysterious Amtrak on MC Line; other Kzoo notes

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Finals week is upon us here at Western Michigan and I'm taking advantage of the additional time I'm not in class by doing none other then my favorite past time - checking up on the local Amtrak happenings from my window. FIRST OF ALL, I need help in identifying a mysterious and unscheduled Amtrak movement this morning. About 9 o'clock, I believe, I hear horns in the distance and glance out my window and in shock see very unusual Amtrak move. Leading was an Acela Genesis, followed by two Horizon cars (both coaches, I think), and another Genesis shoving on the rear. This train was moving Westbound for Chicago, and I have no idea what it was. Unfortunately I was not near a scanner so I don't know what symbol they were using, but I don't know what the heck it was and it certainly was not Blue Water, train 365 or 351, the Morning Wolverine, because I've seen both of them today, more recently, and the report follows:

Blue Water train 365 passed westbound this morning about 15 minutes off schedule, with classic F40PH NPCU cab #90200 charging along on the point. Behind was an Amfleet I amcafe, and the usual three horizon coaches. Shoving on the rear was Genesis #30, which is practically the sole remaining Genesis unit in the phase 3 paint scheme. I bet the guys over toward Port Huron appreciate the occasional variety of the F40 Cab and amfleet car as opposed to the typical double Acela Genesis, solid Horizon train.

Wolverine train #351 came barreling past about 35 minutes off the clock this morning, with Genesis #128 on the point. Behind was another amcafe, and a total of 5 Horizon Coaches, making for a 6 car over-all consist (this is a pleasent change I've noticed in the past many weeks, it's good to see longer trains out there on the Michigan Line). On the back was an F40 Cab; on the unusual eastward end. Normally, the cabs are on the west end so they do not pollute the train shed at Chitown's Union Station with diesel exhaust. Three of the horizon cars and the F40 cab remain in Amtrak's phase 3 paint, and it's nice to see it still hanging onto some equipment.

So, the big question of the morning...WHAT THE HECK was that first Amtrak train? A re-route from somewhere? A short consist of extra equipment? A lost train thanks to some dispatcher in the land of far far away? A rerouted train #371 Pere Marquette crosses my mind, maybe something happened on the CSX line? I thought the PM had already received it's allotment of 2 or 3 Superliners for the next few months? Any answers would be appreciated!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

THE BLUE WATER HAD 90200?!! :D :D I hope it comes back through East Lansing. I'd like to see the first F40. :)