Michigan Rail Business news

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Michigan Rail Business news

Unread post by redside20 »

What about this place. Detroit Manufacturing
http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... production

Located at I 96 and Southfield Freeway (M39) and Oak Yard is right there too
Anything get shipped in or out by rail?
Last edited by redside20 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:What about this place. Detroit Manufacturing
http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... production

Located at I 96 and Southfield Freeway (M39) and Oak Yard is right there too
Anything get shipped in our out by rail?
If its located by CSX tracks I've never seen plastic pellet cars in Oak Yard for the 2x per week West Detroit Branch local.

If its located on CR's West Detroit Terminal track I don't see that local very often but the few times I have no plastic pellet cars in the consist.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

This could be a big blow to CSX on the Marysville Branch..Flint Hills Resources is closing their Marysville Plant.
http://www.thetimesherald.com/story/new ... /18607945/

Does CSX have enough industries on the Branch to justify operating the line...and who are they?
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:This could be a big blow to CSX on the Marysville Branch..Flint Hills Resources is closing their Marysville Plant.
http://www.thetimesherald.com/story/new ... /18607945/

Does CSX have enough industries on the Branch to justify operating the line...and who are they?
Yes. FHR receives 10-15 cars a week. It has closed and opened several times by different companies so someone will probably open it again.

The big three customers are a pair of LPG terminals that ship up to 30 cars a day during their busy seasons and a DTE plant that receives eastern coal by rail (western coal arrives by ship). DTE receives, and I'm guessing here, 10,000 cars a year.

CSX accesses it's St. Clair Branch by trackage rights on CN's Flint Sub between Flint and Port Huron. The branch is the old PH&D short line that CSX acquired in 1984 when the first DTE plant came on line receiving coal by rail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

Michigan Rail Business News Part deux

Thanks to a troll, The first Michigan Rail News board was stopped..And with that..Here is the first piece of news for 2015 and its not a good one for this rail user.
Michigan's Own RheTech has been bought out by a Swedish Company, Hexpol AB...
http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... cquisition
Exit stage left

redside20

Re: Michigan Rail Business News Part deux

Saginaw Mi's Duro-Last expands business with new extruder and business...
http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/201 ... s-own-roof

Didn't this business have rail service in the past and was moved to a transload facility or something?
Exit stage left

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

redside20 wrote:Thanks to a troll, The first Michigan Rail News board was stopped...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22369

It's wide open. If it was locked, it must have been mopped up and then re-opened :?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

redside20

WTF....I never saw where it went and thought it had vanished...So the question now would be..should I merge this into the other news thread or should we keep this one? Decisions Decisions..
Exit stage left

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

redside20 wrote:WTF....I never saw where it went and thought it had vanished...So the question now would be..should I merge this into the other news thread or should we keep this one? Decisions Decisions..
I'm sure the moderators will quickly sweep this one into the other thread once they see it :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

redside20

MQT3001 wrote:
redside20 wrote:WTF....I never saw where it went and thought it had vanished...So the question now would be..should I merge this into the other news thread or should we keep this one? Decisions Decisions..
I'm sure the moderators will quickly sweep this one into the other thread once they see it :)
Thanks Capt Obvious...We'll see what happens here...
Exit stage left

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

It was reported in the Detroit Free Press on Sunday that a company called ReConserve, which takes food waste and turns it into animal feed is doing an $8 million dollar expansion at it's Battle Creek Plant. They will remodel 2 100-year old buildings, add new equipment, grain bins and a rail spur. 9 jobs will be added as well. It's at Angell St. and Upton Ave., not sure whether thats NS or CN.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

The Borg beat you Chris...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30996

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

TrainWatcher wrote:The Borg beat you Chris...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30996
At least I got it into the right thread... :wink:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

ns8401 wrote:It was reported in the Detroit Free Press on Sunday that a company called ReConserve, which takes food waste and turns it into animal feed is doing an $8 million dollar expansion at it's Battle Creek Plant. They will remodel 2 100-year old buildings, add new equipment, grain bins and a rail spur. 9 jobs will be added as well. It's at Angell St. and Upton Ave., not sure whether thats NS or CN.
Its on NS, there is an existing spur on the south side of the main that serves RockTenn paper and also used for Amtrak MOW quite often. There is another spur on the north side that is sometimes used as a kind of team track and occasionally for US Lumber. This is all part of the former MC/PC/CR Rumely yard I believe. The switch from the mainline to the south spur was recently redone/relocated by Amtrak, used to be between CP Gord and Kendall, now is about midway between Kendall and Angell. The spur crosses Angell now but only a short distance, enough for about 1 engine and 1 car, to allow room to switch the tank car track at RockTenn. There is excavation, etc at the site (which was Endres until ReConserve bought bit recently, they may now own Endres entire company) presumably getting ready to extend the spur and construct some kind of rail loading facility there. Hopefully a good customer for NS to help keep our friends on B57 busy! :D

bigdbron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bigdbron »

McBain to install new siding in their industrial park to service Viking Energy and other possible future customers.
http://www.marion-press.com/2015/01/vik ... k-project/

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Business News Thread?!?

Unread post by j32885 »

Not sure IF this IS "Michigan Railroad Business", but was listening to WWJ 950AM today and I heard them talking a lot about 3s International Recycling moving to Taylor, Michigan. They were are looking at using 27050 Trolley Drive Industrial Park located between Inkster Rd - Holland Rd. It's located just above the NS Wabash Line. There's 2 spur tracks going into Trolley Industrial Park West. Both 26873 Trolley Industrial Dr & 27005 Trolley Industrial Dr (Ex-Quality Wire Processing Inc.) have rail access to the Wabash and they are "For Sale".

Questions

- Would a large recycler/scrapper like this need rail access? Especially IF their handling semi-toxic goods?

Looking at the Google Map pictures for 27050 Trolley Drive Industrial Dr. shows NO Rail Access. Now nearby also you got Taylor Recycling Inc. at 8767 Holland Road, which is south of the Wabash and they got NO Rail Access.

I've seen the NS Locals out of Oakwood Yd work the Trolley Industrial Park East over by Monroe St. never seen them work Trolley Industrial Park West.

Weblinks:

3s International Recycling
http://3srecycling.com/

City Of Taylor/3s International Recycling
http://www.cityoftaylor.com/content/3s- ... ity-taylor

"Recycling Company 3S International Moving To Taylor", The News Herald, January 09, 2015
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2 ... 120357.txt

Enjoy?!?!

redside20

Don't know if this will translate to anything as far as rail traffic is concerned...But I thought I'd mention it
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... d-131-jobs
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:Don't know if this will translate to anything as far as rail traffic is concerned...But I thought I'd mention it
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... d-131-jobs
Android's Warren plant does not get any rail service :(

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Android's niche is subassembly work & line sequencing. They will occasionally do full fledged assembly work - usually low volume variants of existing vehicles. For example, Android was a customer of mine at a past job for a low floor bus version of an International (Navistar) truck that they assmbled for them. The assembly facility they used in Springfield Ohio to do this work was formerly a grocery store distribution center. Cutaway versions of the trucks were driven over from the International plant, and Android started their work once they arrived.

redside20

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine ... 5639/..650 new positions for the assembly of the 2015 F 150 in Dearborn and Sterling respectively.
Exit stage left