Lake Shore Limited Michigan test routing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lake Shore Limited Michigan test routing

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

PerRock wrote:
BnOEngr wrote:
PerRock wrote: ~cutting my really long quoted quote post for brevity~
The Union rep who sent this out to his constituents is none too pleased to see his words posted on foamer boards. I know none of you care because it's all about you and your so called thirst for knowledge. Nice....
If you've got such a problem with it, bring it up with the guy who posted it online when he shouldn't have. I only quoted what s/he posted.

peter
IF YOU DON"T WANT PEOPLE TO READ AND / OR REPOST YOUR INFORMATION. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE INTERNET. Why do people have such a hard time with this ? Maybe if he had sent it to Hillary she would have wiped it off her personal server :D . Couldn't resist.
Last edited by M.D.Bentley on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

I laugh at any attempt to keep something secret in this information age.... it's going to get out, best deal with it.

In this case, perhaps a little public light will put the kibosh on this stupid boondoggle.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

PerRock wrote:If you've got such a problem with it, bring it up with the guy who posted it online when he shouldn't have. I only quoted what s/he posted.

peter
I don't have a problem with it, but my friend the union rep does. He only sent it to 12 people, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the "leak".
Not that obvious

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

As the old saying goes, "A secret one person knows is a secret. A secret two people know is no secret. A secret three people know is knowledge shouted to the world." 12 people? Not a chance.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Let's muddy the water a little more. I have daily contact with the dispatcher who would have to deal with them and he has heard nothing. ????

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

PerRock wrote:
BnOEngr wrote:
PerRock wrote: ~cutting my really long quoted quote post for brevity~
The Union rep who sent this out to his constituents is none too pleased to see his words posted on foamer boards. I know none of you care because it's all about you and your so called thirst for knowledge. Nice....
If you've got such a problem with it, bring it up with the guy who posted it online when he shouldn't have. I only quoted what s/he posted.

peter
It wasn't posted online, someone obviously copied and pasted the email to Facebook
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Wait, just so I'm clear, does this mean the rerouted train would stop at all of the stations on the Michigan Line, or do we not know that yet? It's a limited, so I don't imagine so, but I'm just wondering. And, if not, at which stations would it stop?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The time card will remain basically the same until they enter/ leave the Michigan line (which would put them probably 2am at Detroit EB and 6-7am at Detroit WB)
Perfect. I always wanted to arrive in Detroit at 2am. :roll:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

MiddleMI wrote:Wait, just so I'm clear, does this mean the rerouted train would stop at all of the stations on the Michigan Line, or do we not know that yet? It's a limited, so I don't imagine so, but I'm just wondering. And, if not, at which stations would it stop?
We don't even know if this is actually going to happen, much less the details.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

PerRock wrote:
MiddleMI wrote:Wait, just so I'm clear, does this mean the rerouted train would stop at all of the stations on the Michigan Line, or do we not know that yet? It's a limited, so I don't imagine so, but I'm just wondering. And, if not, at which stations would it stop?

peter
I think it is a very safe assumption that they'd only stop and 4-5 stations. Like DET, AA, Jackson, Battle Creek, Kazoo and maybe Michigan City -- at most. Easily could be less than that. The smaller stations are best served by the existing trains - and many only get one or two round trips per day to begin with.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Saturnalia wrote:
PerRock wrote:

peter
I think it is a very safe assumption that they'd only stop and 4-5 stations. Like DET, AA, Jackson, Battle Creek, Kazoo and maybe Michigan City -- at most. Easily could be less than that. The smaller stations are best served by the existing trains - and many only get one or two round trips per day to begin with.
We know that if it does do the reroute, it won't be stopping in DET, as it has to turn south before then. The best Detroit-Region stop for the LSL would be Dearborn, as it heads south shortly there after.

If I had to guess the stops it'll probably be KAL & ARB possibly JXN & DER; but seeing as their already adding some travel time, I doubt they'd want to add too many stops which would make it even slower. JXN & DER (and DET for that matter) are within a reasonable distance to ARB (1hr driving) as with BC is also about an hour to KAL. Although thinking about it, DER might become a crew-change spot as they'll probably need crew trained for the line down to TOL.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

When I said DET, I wasn't meaning literally DET the station, but rather the metro area. Sorry, but ambiguous.

I too would expect a handful of stops and that's it. One has to wonder if they'd do BOTH Battle Creek and Kzoo, or if they'd only choose one.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I have heard crew is to run TOLEDO to CHICAGO and vice versa, using Toledo based and or Pontiac based crews (one post I have read eldest said there are a lot of Michigan based crew currently or something like that)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Ypsi wrote:I have heard crew is to run TOLEDO to CHICAGO and vice versa, using Toledo based and or Pontiac based crews (one post I have read eldest said there are a lot of Michigan based crew currently or something like that)
Sounds like Toledo will cover it, at least for now. Otherwise if that plan doesn't work I'd bet Michigan crews would take over in Battle Creek as they usually do on the Michigan Services

jpillinois
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jpillinois »

As far as stops go. Dearborn, AA, BC, Kzoo makes the most sense. Doubtful Mich City gets a stop unless Indiana pays for it. This is a Michigan lead project and the stop times need to be minimized.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

Also remember LSL is a long distance train which means some federal funds for running it. Win -win situation

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

jpillinois wrote:As far as stops go. Dearborn, AA, BC, Kzoo makes the most sense. Doubtful Mich City gets a stop unless Indiana pays for it. This is a Michigan lead project and the stop times need to be minimized.
Definitely Dearborn, AA, and Kalamazoo and MAYBE New Buffalo, depending on arrival/departure times (perhaps a connection with the PM if it works out that way?) but I'm not sold on BC. Kalamazoo is a half hour, 45 minutes maximum, away from BC. Just stick with Kalamazoo and be done with it. There's really no reason to stop there.

Unless someone has a reason that I missed.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NSSD70ACe wrote:MAYBE New Buffalo, depending on arrival/departure times (perhaps a connection with the PM if it works out that way?)
No. The PM and LSL are both EB and WB at the same time of day. There is literally ZERO benefit from their connection.

jpillinois
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jpillinois »

Saturnalia wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:MAYBE New Buffalo, depending on arrival/departure times (perhaps a connection with the PM if it works out that way?)
No. The PM and LSL are both EB and WB at the same time of day. There is literally ZERO benefit from their connection.
Not to mention the PM rides on CSX tracks west of town, not on the Mich ROW. The state has put in for TIGER grants to create the Western Michigan connection. Where the CSX crosses over the MI ROW just north of New Buffalo. This would reroute the PM onto the Mich Row. But the effort has never raised a dime of fed money.

http://www.cityofnewbuffalo.org/downloa ... rative.pdf

So it seems the consensus is DBN, AA, KZ are the most important stops. I would think one more western stop is needed either New Buffalo or Niles.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

That's why I suggested Michigan City. Pull a bit of NW Indiana there heading east.