Extremely PO'd people for stopped CSX trains at Joy Road

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: Extremely PO'd people for stopped CSX trains at Joy Road

Unread post by SW »

ANNNNNDDDD looks like they just shifted the problem. Beck Rd. was blocked by a stopped train this morning, according to traffic reports...

From last night,
Saturnalia wrote:
SW wrote:EB D908 arriving at Plymouth. CSX 5365+4228+4022+4021+24 cars. Currently pausing at milepost 25. There are a boatload of cars west of that milepost awaiting the trip back west. 187 off today's L392 alone.
If they take everything they're supposed to, they'll have 236 totaling 13,000 feet of train.

Come on guys, get over it and just run Q334/335 three days a week and let the locals be locals.
Last edited by SW on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owosso Steve

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

SW wrote:ANNNNNDDDD looks like they just shifted the problem.
Nope.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I'm watching it as we speak and it's worse! The yard job that pulls these cars to Beck Road has stalled on the Southwest Wye and is now blocking the main roads in downtown Plymouth which is where all the traffic from south of town has been trying to get to which is congestion on top of congestion. There's too many cars and not enough motive power to lug it all to Beck Road. I've been watching this operation change since the first day with all the conditions that have come along with it....and it just DOESN'T WORK! You have only one local on the east-end of the Plymouth Sub that has too much work that couldn't get done when 334/335 were running. There's too many cars to interchange that blocks too many roads and obviously there's not enough motive power to pull the cut west.
Last edited by Racer on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Seriously questioning now the number of recrews needed to make 708/709 happen these days. Almost the same amount of crews with piss poor service and a ton of pissed citizens.

CSX is NOT doing themselves any favors by continually screwing up a whole town. Usually, I side with the railroad and their right to operate. But when it becomes excessive and easily corrected, then it is time to place blame with the railroad. There's a certain amount of practicality and decency involved here, and quite frankly the railroad is in full fail mode here.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Racer wrote:I'm watching it as we speak and it's worse! The yard job that pulls these cars to Beck Road has stalled on the Southwest Wye and is now blocking the main roads in downtown Plymouth which is where all the traffic from south of town has been trying to get to which is congestion on top of congestion. There's too many cars and not enough motive power to lug it all to Beck Road. I've been watching this operation change since the first day with all the conditions that have come along with it....and it just DOESN'T WORK! You have only one local on the east-end of the Plymouth Sub that has too much work that couldn't get done when 334/335 were running. There's too many cars to interchange that blocks too many roads and obviously there's not enough motive power to pull the cut west.
I just arrived on scene by bike, and the crossings are STILL blocked!!! :roll: At least Ann Arbor Trail and Lilley Rd. are clear, so there is a route open to downtown. They are also fouling the main, and that could have been avoided, unless the west track is out of service.
Owosso Steve

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

CSX 4039 came up from the south and finally pushed it around the corner. Crossings clear as of 18:45.
Owosso Steve

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I'm watching it as we speak and it's worse! The yard job that pulls these cars to Beck Road has stalled on the Southwest Wye and is now blocking the main roads in downtown Plymouth which is where all the traffic from south of town has been trying to get to which is congestion on top of congestion.
Just wait until Southbound 275 closes in May.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

GTW6401 wrote:
I'm watching it as we speak and it's worse! The yard job that pulls these cars to Beck Road has stalled on the Southwest Wye and is now blocking the main roads in downtown Plymouth which is where all the traffic from south of town has been trying to get to which is congestion on top of congestion.
Just wait until Southbound 275 closes in May.
Once that happens, I will be avoiding the city if I see any sign of Q392 or Q399. I won't go near that mess. With CSX's efficiency on this situation, running Q334/335 for three days would cover up anything the locals are doing.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Just cut east of GR and Plymouth problem is solved.

So be careful what you guys wish for.

I don't know the particulars about Plymouth, but the FRA came out a couple weeks ago and has said "block swapping" is illegal now. Everything must have a "pre-departure" inspection prior to being placed "in a train". Been acceptable practice for years, now they changed their definition of "placed in a train." That's probably not helping things there.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

CSX_CO wrote:Just cut east of GR and Plymouth problem is solved.

So be careful what you guys wish for.
At this point if CSX is never going to add more trains in any form on the Plymouth Sub including a road train that would end what's currently happening, then I'd rather see a Class 3 operating it than continue what is happening now. A class 3 would run more trains and operate more consistently than they do now. There's too much business for 2 locals to handle on the Plymouth Sub. Period. I've lived in Plymouth my entire life and even when there was twice the trains as now it was never this screwed-up as this "392 set-out for D708" crap. For the first time ever, I actually go home when that train shows up - everything gets squirrelly really quick. If this is CSX's only future for that line, sell it to someone who will run it smoother.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

TSBy390
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSBy390 »

Im no expert on railroading at all but it seems even with the obvious downfall of the plymouth sub over the past months CSX has been installing new antennas and trackside sheds by signals and crossings and they have been inspecting switches etc (at least in Howell)...it seems like they wouldn't bother doing all this unless they are trying to make it look better for a lease or if they are going to sell the plymouth sub entirely. I dont picture CSX putting this much effort on a sub they hardly use anymore for no reason.(but who knows)

Personally i think that the GLC should get the plymouth sub if it ever went for sale, it connects at the ann-pere and i feel they would be able to reach all the customers on the sub if they hired on more crews and invested in more locomotives

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Me too :D . One crew could operate to Plymouth one day and back to Lansing the next. Another crew could switch Lansing and work west to wherever CSX cuts the line. Customers will rejoice and business will grow 8) .
TSBy390 wrote:Personally i think that the GLC should get the plymouth sub if it ever went for sale, it connects at the ann-pere and i feel they would be able to reach all the customers on the sub if they hired on more crews and invested in more locomotives
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

TSBy390 wrote:Im no expert on railroading at all but it seems even with the obvious downfall of the plymouth sub over the past months CSX has been installing new antennas and trackside sheds by signals and crossings and they have been inspecting switches etc (at least in Howell)...it seems like they wouldn't bother doing all this unless they are trying to make it look better for a lease or if they are going to sell the plymouth sub entirely. I dont picture CSX putting this much effort on a sub they hardly use anymore for no reason.(but who knows)
In the old days, investment in the property usually led to disposal (via abandonment or other means) once the work was complete. It had something to do with the accounting and the expenses being greater than the revenue the line could generate. I think they've changed how things are done since then, but...
~ Charles W.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

You folks continually amaze me to no end. And yes the problems are real but the track isn't going to anyone else. 98% of you have never worked on a railroad, never worked a freight in your lives and never read a union agreement. People are doing mandated federal tests and examinations and its a sure sign of an imminent sale?Give it a rest.
There, now the rest of you can dislike me now.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

If you Recall from my latest video on YouTube There was another stopped train in Downtown Plymouth last night. I said it was CSX train Q392 but really it was Q335 trying to turn to go west. CSX Q335 was not only blocking Main and Farmer streets he was blocking the wye to Detroit and a Crossover to go west or get into the Yard. Do you guys know whats going in Plymouth MI on the CSX? what did CSX do to Michigan

anyway Here is the video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDYwIoTRKlE

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

There's too many cars to interchange that blocks too many roads and obviously there's not enough motive power to pull the cut west.
Brought to you by the same fun cheapskates who refuse to put enough power on Q326! "But..but...the manual says one engine can pull............

Q326 Stalled on Saugatuck Hill - N903 to the rescue!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Doktor No wrote:You folks continually amaze me to no end. And yes the problems are real but the track isn't going to anyone else. 98% of you have never worked on a railroad, never worked a freight in your lives and never read a union agreement. People are doing mandated federal tests and examinations and its a sure sign of an imminent sale?Give it a rest.
There, now the rest of you can dislike me now.

Thank you for a sensible comment. I don't comment much, But some of the comments here are purely foam injected.

In case some of you still dom't know: A "foamer" is one who 'foams at the mouth' when he sees a train.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

TSBy390
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSBy390 »

All i said was that installing new things and fixing up the plymouth sub seems like something that would be done to make it look better if it were ever to be put up for lease or sale.

Never said there was a sign of an imminent sale, just purely saying it seems like something that would be done if it were to be up for sale in the future etc.

In my original post i never claimed to be any sort of expert, my post was entirely based off of observation.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I track the inbound centerbeams for Standard Lumber on the C&M. The last car from Nova Scotia made one of the very last Stanly to GR trains. The current car enroute originated from Belledune New Brunswick. Released from the mill 7:30 last Friday the 15th and in Stanly tonight just before midnight on the 19th. ShipCSX is now projecting 7 days to GR. Should be interesting to see the route :wink:

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

TSBY390, its not you or should I say just you. The whole thread is speculating on either selling, leasing, giving away, turning it into a branch, etc, etc. Doing normal maintenence does not mean its going away by any means.
And doubly yes, its a mess...but I am sure the powers that be are thinking up a magnificent plan to alleviate the troubles...and I say that with more then a bit of sarcams and cynicism...because as we all know, experts agree that everything is just fine.
And gee, I have seen companies spruce up the place just to sell and then again I have seen them walk away too. No one knows until the fat lady sings and she isn't even on the playbill, let alone the waybill. CP couldn't buy it back in the late 90's early 2000's and they had cash money, just not enough.
Just watch the pretty trains go by, relax and enjoy the view. The rest is just pure speculation. If and when you get to come to a union meeting and learn the business of contracts and railroading you will, perhaps, get a better picture of whats going on.
Oh yeah, again, my 401K bet is on this company. When it does good, I do good.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.