West Side Detroit CSX Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Re: West Side Detroit CSX Operations

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

So how scary is the area to explore and walk around in. Also any schedule of activities.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX works their line T & F last I heard

I don't know about CR's line

It's not scary during the day IMHO
wagnew0923 wrote:So how scary is the area to explore and walk around in. Also any schedule of activities.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Yesterday I spotted a Railbox Boxcar in the consist of Gondolas and Tankers from the Scrap Yard and Cocacola sitting in Oak Yard. Possibly a sporadic customer?

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Or, possibly being used as an idler car? Or, possibly a misroute?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I started railfanning this segment in the early 1990's. There was a brick customer that got a lot of box cars. There was also a smaller brick customer, lumber yard, bagged sand and paper(?). I think they are all closed or don't ship by rail anymore unless perhaps the smaller brick customer is still in business.
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Yesterday I spotted a Railbox Boxcar in the consist of Gondolas and Tankers from the Scrap Yard and Cocacola sitting in Oak Yard. Possibly a sporadic customer?
NYCMan Or, possibly being used as an idler car? Or, possibly a misroute?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Word is there is a sporadic customer at Joy Rd and Livernois that uses boxcars.

Also, word is CSX is replacing ties on the West Detroit Branch.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

There used to be a Heinze 57 plant at Joy road and Livernois. No idea if it's still there. I lived a few blocks from there in the late 40s.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

3 50' Railbox hi-cube box cars in Oak Yard along with the usual CocaCola and scrap cars

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Hey, on the CXS Detroit Subdivision mainline, how many customers are left between Delray and Boatyard and how often are they served?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

hoborich wrote:There used to be a Heinz 57 plant at Joy road and Livernois. No idea if it's still there. I lived a few blocks from there in the late 40s.
Building still there. With the "HEINZ" emblazoned at the top of the building. Sadly it sits empty .