Former McLouth Steel in Gibraltar

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Former McLouth Steel in Gibraltar

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The MDEQ has announced a grant to help fund redevelopment of the former McLouth Steel mill.

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-13 ... --,00.html

I believe the new plant will be rail served from the description of the facility in the media.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /70833914/

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Former McLouth Steel in Gibraltar

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Not to be a party pooper but that sounds like a small volume producer. Maybe as time goes on but with only a hundred employees I cannot see the kind of volume and mass that would warrent rail over truck. But I could be wrong.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I don't thing the employment figures have much to do with it - but what they're doing there does. In reading the article, they're going to anneal glass which would lead me to believe that it'll be "untreated" glass in by truck & annealed glass out by truck. I'd also suspect that the "raw" glass is from somewhere local as is the destination for the finished product.
The metal on the other hand could come in via rail though.

Here's an existing company in the area that does the same type of thing.

http://www.ferrolux.com/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Guardian has a glass plant in Carleton. I am not certain what kind of glass they produce.
MSchwiebert wrote:I don't thing the employment figures have much to do with it - but what they're doing there does. In reading the article, they're going to anneal glass which would lead me to believe that it'll be "untreated" glass in by truck & annealed glass out by truck. I'd also suspect that the "raw" glass is from somewhere local as is the destination for the finished product.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The plant use to have a switch off of the #2 Detroit line and was switched by the Trenton #3 job. The diamond was call "DENBY" and Conrail track inspectors have been out there looking to reinstall the switch and diamond. Stay tuned...........................

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I read Guardian manufactures Windshield glass for local auto assemblies.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Ah I see then yes the steel could be rail worthy.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MSchwiebert wrote:I don't thing the employment figures have much to do with it - but what they're doing there does. In reading the article, they're going to anneal glass which would lead me to believe that it'll be "untreated" glass in by truck & annealed glass out by truck. I'd also suspect that the "raw" glass is from somewhere local as is the destination for the finished product.

The Michigan EDC news release states the plant will anneal steel. Likely rail in. In this day and age, 100 employees can put out allot of product.

[http://www.michiganbusiness.org/press- ... -100-jobs/

[

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Image[/url]

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Didn't the D&TSL have access to this plant? I thought that is what they purchased the GBSRs for?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

KenB wrote:Didn't the D&TSL have access to this plant? I thought that is what they purchased the GBSRs for?
Yes, in aerials you can see the abandoned line from the D&TSL/GTW Shore Line.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Actually it looks like the DTSL is still in and connected and the Conrail-DSAA is ripped up at the North end of the plant with the diamond over the DTSL removed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In DT&S book by Geletzke and Hague, they discuss this spur. I'll have to look it up again :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

The Shoreline pulled their track long before Conrail did.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

KenB wrote:Actually it looks like the DTSL is still in and connected and the Conrail-DSAA is ripped up at the North end of the plant with the diamond over the DTSL removed.
I think you're looking at old aerials, or have mistaken the geography, then.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

A little clarification. The connections at the north end of the plant are gone ( both CR & CN ). The CN still has a switch at the south end of the plant as KenB stated. The tracks were connected thru the plant at one time.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

M.D.Bentley wrote:A little clarification. The connections at the north end of the plant are gone ( both CR & CN ). The CN still has a switch at the south end of the plant as KenB stated. The tracks were connected thru the plant at one time.
I was having a major brainfart and/or wasn't looking at the aerials correctly. lol Yes, the aerials clearly show the connection at the southside of the plant off the Shoreline and the abandoned connection at the north, though, the tracks still looks to be in place.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

MiddleMI wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:A little clarification. The connections at the north end of the plant are gone ( both CR & CN ). The CN still has a switch at the south end of the plant as KenB stated. The tracks were connected thru the plant at one time.
I was having a major brainfart and/or wasn't looking at the aerials correctly. lol Yes, the aerials clearly show the connection at the southside of the plant off the Shoreline and the abandoned connection at the north, though, the tracks still looks to be in place.
The D&TSL RR had connections at both ends of the plant. PC/CR only had a connection at the north end. A little clearer now?