Anyone know about the Selfridge Air National Guard Base RR?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Amtrakguy365
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know about the Selfridge Air National Guard Base RR?

Unread post by Amtrakguy365 »

I was curious to browse the Mt. Clemens/Harrison Township area when I remembered the National Guard Base and I read something about the railroad there in "When Eastern Michigan Rode the Rails Book Two" in school about some sort of tourist attraction ride on some little switchers. But then the attraction was removed due to safety reasons. The tracks are still standing (I think) but most parts are overgrown in the newer pictures in Google Street View (2012, 2009). However in the 2008 pictures, the tracks look like they aren't even there as they were in horrid condition but then it got a bit better and the tracks cleared up but then it got bad again. Does anyone know if these tracks are even used by the Air Base anymore? Also, in this view
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6128493 ... 001T000000
and
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6124682 ... 001T000000
There appear to be old boxcars and a coach or some sort of streetcar. The track is then discontinued in the second view where the CN Mt. Clemens Sub runs next to the equipment. And finally, does anyone know when the rest of the track was dismantled? Did the Air Base's tracks connect with the Mt. Clemens Sub during CN times or GTW times?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Anyone know about the Selfridge Air National Guard Base

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

That would be some of the rolling stock and trackage of the Michigan Transit Museum. Like most military bases, in the old days each had a connection to a mainline and had their own intra-base railroad. Selfridge's railroad needs diminished, and in the 1970s the fledgling Michigan Transit Museum gained access to most of their trackage to begin their tourist railroad operation. Just a few years ago (2010 I think) it was determined that due to increased base security, MTM would need to vacate their premises and line on base property, cutting their operational trackage back and forcing them to begin to store their equipment off the base.

The have a website: http://www.michigantransitmuseum.org, but it's very rarely updated. The best bet is to actually go to the Mt. Clemens Depot Museum when they are open (weekends, 12-4 I think), or print off their membership app from the website and join as a member. It's really affordable even for a student and they have a top notch monthly newsletter. I think they run a holiday train on weekends in December but I don't have a schedule in front of me.

The streetcar you see is actually a former South Shore interurban coach, one of their primary passenger cars. The base spur obviously used to connect to the Mt. Clemens Sub mainline just north of the depot but the switch as removed years, if not decades ago.

Check them out! They're a small organization but have attained some good momentum in the past few years despite the base setback and can use all the help they can get!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MTM got kicked out of the base a few years ago for security reasons . Some of the track that was in place was removed, and the equipment stored on the base had to be removed. I believe Roberttrains is a member there, he may be able to answer some of your questions, but there are a couple people who are familiar with this topic over on the Michigan Railroads Lower Peninsula board, if you have time to post your question there as well.
~ Charles W.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:\ Roberttrains is a member there, he may be able to answer some of your questions, but there are a couple people who are familiar with this topic over on the Michigan Railroads Lower Peninsula board, if you have time to post your question there as well.

:!: Yes I can help about the MTM®!!!! Here's a "Short Summary:" :!:

I joined MTM® on 6-1-2013 with my good buddy Mazon! They are not allowed to take passengers to Selfridge since 2008 (security)! Our equipment moved off the base in 2010/11 and is stored at the end of our "Isolated" track between North Ave. and Elizabeth. We don't have any switches off base but are looking at installing a passing siding. My first train ride in my life was in 1988 with family on their train and went to the Selfridge Base Air Museum! Excursions run every Sunday from June until October, load at Joy Park, Clinton TWP. We'll have "Holiday Express" runs at night Sat. 11-29, Sat 12-13 and Sat. 12-20! Anything else you'd like to know? :wink:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It would have very cool had the east pass been kept the one mile from the Selfridge Jct to the Mt Clemens station. This could have been done without interfering with the mainline. Unfortunately it would have cost to much.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Robert MacDowell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robert MacDowell »

Remember when a bunch of military bases got shut down a few years ago? BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure). The flipside was other bases got more important, and Selfridge was one of them. It now has a major Gnomeland Security operation there, much too "hot" to let the museum train trundle through. On the flipside, you can ride a tourist train through Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Selfridge used rail for jet fuel back in the 80s when I volunteered a lot for MTM. Part of the deal was MTM maintains the track for the freight. Now Selfridge may use a pipeline. If there was a military necessity, the rails would be reconnected overnight... and MTM would be told "get out of the way" even though they own the track outside the base. Which would probably end in compromise, i.e. they get to store the equipment inside the base for the duration. Given the military entanglements they may be better off elsewhere, e.g. the north end of the Utica line if it's still there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Robert MacDowell wrote:Selfridge used rail for jet fuel back in the 80s when I volunteered a lot for MTM. Part of the deal was MTM maintains the track for the freight. Now Selfridge may use a pipeline. If there was a military necessity, the rails would be reconnected overnight... and MTM would be told "get out of the way" even though they own the track outside the base. Which would probably end in compromise, i.e. they get to store the equipment inside the base for the duration. Given the military entanglements they may be better off elsewhere, e.g. the north end of the Utica line if it's still there.
Selfridge received coal into the 90's, too.

North end of Utica line (north of M59) is disconnected and slated to be torn out but its anyone's guess when.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

x2humbucker
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by x2humbucker »

The Utica line is still mostly in place. I think it still connects to the Sterling Yard because on a rare occaision, there will be an engine parked of M59. There are a good number of washouts along the Clinton River. The old Packard/Ford yard is mostly still here too around 22 Mile Rd in Shelby Twp. It's a pretty nice walk to take from 22 down to M59 (I would imagine, having never done it :lol: )

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

x2humbucker wrote:The Utica line is still mostly in place. I think it still connects to the Sterling Yard because on a rare occaision, there will be an engine parked of M59. There are a good number of washouts along the Clinton River. The old Packard/Ford yard is mostly still here too around 22 Mile Rd in Shelby Twp. It's a pretty nice walk to take from 22 down to M59 (I would imagine, having never done it :lol: )

It's active up to just short of M59. There's a customer who receives covered hoppers on the M59 service drive. It looked like they had half a dozen cars on the siding today.

Regarding the Selfridge track, if I recall correctly, it's not just the security issue that got MTM kicked out. Apparently there was construction that resulted in parts of the track being removed as well, including some near the fire station.
~ Charles W.

x2humbucker
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by x2humbucker »

Judging by Google Maps, The tracks are all still in place on base until the shooting range (on the east side by Jefferson off of Ammo Rd). From there, it is all basically ripped up heading south toward the ramp.