Grank Elk Grand Rapids Yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Grank Elk Grand Rapids Yard

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Why such a small table though? I mean I know even by today's standards (an SD40-2 is 68'~) that seems tight.
I agree. Was it maybe for cab units that could not operate in a backwards fashion or did the NYC have a signal system that would involve running say a GP9 in the long hood forward position? Because other then that I don't see why the turntable should exist anyway.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Why such a small table though? I mean I know even by today's standards (an SD40-2 is 68'~) that seems tight.
I agree. Was it maybe for cab units that could not operate in a backwards fashion or did the NYC have a signal system that would involve running say a GP9 in the long hood forward position? Because other then that I don't see why the turntable should exist anyway.
Well, with no wye, where are you gonna turn your power? Sometimes, like when a certain unit can't lead, you've gotta turn the power. CSX does it several dozen times each year on the Sunnyside Wye
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Do turn tables fall under the new FRA bridge inspection standards? If so I feel like just bolting them in place wounding bypass the fact that it's technically a bridge.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

In 1957, locomotives were 55 feet long and cars 40 feet. 75 foot turntable was plenty long enough. The turn table has been bolted many years long before the new bridge inspection regs. That SD40 will fit on it just fine :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Well, with no wye, where are you gonna turn your power? Sometimes, like when a certain unit can't lead, you've gotta turn the power. CSX does it several dozen times each year on the Sunnyside Wye
I know this but why didn't the old NYC just get permission to use the Sunnyside Wye? Was it harder to use back then? More traffic maybe? The
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT1223 wrote:I know this but why didn't the old NYC just get permission to use the Sunnyside Wye? Was it harder to use back then? More traffic maybe? The
Well at this time Union Station was still a thing, or at least trackage up to there and the west side, crossing the CSX at a diamond (was there even a connector at Pleasant Yet?). At the time, there was no reason to clog up downtown just to wye power. C&O had their turntable at Wyoming plus the de facto wye (Roundhouse lead, Cinder Pit, Back Lead, Old Even Lead), so they could wye power there. They use the downtown wye cause they don't really get in anyone's way and it isn't hand-throw like the yard wye...and you don't have to get permission from the Roundhouse guys.

Of course today there isn't a need for a table on the GDLK. It is either one-engine locals or multi-unit road trains where there is almost always one unit facing east direction. Bolt and forget.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

The east leg of the sunnyside wye didn't exist until the 1980's track re-alignment...

FWIW...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:The east leg of the sunnyside wye didn't exist until the 1980's track re-alignment...

FWIW...
You mean when the West Side was consolidated?
Doktor No wrote:DeFacto wye went thru the roundhouse and onto the turntable. THAT was the wye. The one that exisits now didn't exist then. The turntable did though.
True...of course the table functioned. Also before then there were tracks that ran south from the table towards Plaster Creek...Wyes there, too, though I'm not sure if they were ever used as such...

amtrak1007

MQT3001 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:The east leg of the sunnyside wye didn't exist until the 1980's track re-alignment...

FWIW...
Sure potatoes potaatos... same thing...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
FWIW...
Sure potatoes potaatos... same thing...
Gotcha...just making sure :wink:

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

This is the GRLK turntable at Hughart Yard, taken 1 July 2010.

Kelly

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So if the circus train is there and the power ran up there elephant style northbound how do they turn the power now to run southbound tomorrow? Just curious as they have run the power that way last 3 years.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Super Chief wrote:So if the circus train is there and the power ran up there elephant style northbound how do they turn the power now to run southbound tomorrow? Just curious as they have run the power that way last 3 years.
They'll use the CSX wye at Sunnyside.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Caught the circus train southbound thru Portage this morning at 10:10. The engines were long hood forward with the NS leading. Must have been a frustrating trip as those hoods are really long.

amtrak1007

GAP wrote:Caught the circus train southbound thru Portage this morning at 10:10. The engines were long hood forward with the NS leading. Must have been a frustrating trip as those hoods are really long.
Just as god almighty had intended. LHF!!!

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

When it was Conrail they knew enough to send 2 locos tail to tail. Most than once I would see a pair of SD60M's sitting at 44th St getting an air test when I was working 2nd shift back in the 90's. Those where the days. Long Live Big Blue!
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Well I'm guessing BNSF set the power up, plus they have to switch the train around in Elkhart so both the units will face the right way after Elkhart

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Well I'm guessing BNSF set the power up, plus they have to switch the train around in Elkhart so both the units will face the right way after Elkhart
Only sat there all weekend. Guess no opportunity to spin one of them...

Practice Safe CSX

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Must be the 4 bucks was the icing on the cake. Now will see as the turntable turn?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GAP wrote:Caught the circus train southbound thru Portage this morning at 10:10. The engines were long hood forward with the NS leading. Must have been a frustrating trip as those hoods are really long.
CSX wouldn't let them use the wye?

amtrak1007 wrote:Just as god almighty had intended. LHF!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.