BO Tower in Kalamazoo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BO Tower in Kalamazoo

Unread post by PatAzo »

All it takes is money.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railohio wrote:
David Lang wrote:JT,

<snip>

David Lang
LOLZ
:lol: :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Umm, a century ago, that stuff wasn't "historical". It was "Technology".

But still, a great essay.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Was by BO Tower today and noticed several sets of new crossovers east of the tower waiting to be installed in the future..

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Was in Kazoo today and drove by BO Tower. Big truck there getting ready to unload a very large walk-in size signal case, Could this be the beginning of the end of BO Tower?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NYCMan wrote:Was in Kazoo today and drove by BO Tower. Big truck there getting ready to unload a very large walk-in size signal case, Could this be the beginning of the end of BO Tower?
Totally new signals as a part of the line's upgrading...already lots of new signals between BC and Kzoo. It would be a miracle if BO remained in service after the signal cutover, which could happen, if on the same time-frame as CSX's replacements, in about a year. How knows when the actual building would be torn down, if not saved, however.

The timeline of the signal cutover is a pure educated guess.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

CTC was the beginning of the end. This is just the final act.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Yes, several new signals are up and operational between Kazoo and BC as well as new control boxes and wiring. Perhaps someone else has more info, but it looks to me like the signals are all done on that stretch. Still some gated grade crossings to be finished, including some private driveways/farm access roads. And several road crossings look like they will be redone in the near future, with track panels and those precast concrete tiles already staged in some places.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

bctrainfan wrote:Yes, several new signals are up and operational between Kazoo and BC as well as new control boxes and wiring. Perhaps someone else has more info, but it looks to me like the signals are all done on that stretch. Still some gated grade crossings to be finished, including some private driveways/farm access roads. And several road crossings look like they will be redone in the near future, with track panels and those precast concrete tiles already staged in some places.
The signals are already operational? So are they phasing them in one-by-one or are they having a period of signal suspension to cut them over?

I guess the BIG question I'd like to know the answer to is: are the new signals going in right next to the old ones? Especially the intermediates? In that case I suppose they could be cut-over one by one since they exactly replace the old ones. I know the MP 133 that was featured in TRAINS in the news section was a copy and in the same spot as the signal it replaced. Any info is good if you have it!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

AFAIK, and I don't know a lot about signals, it looks like the old existing signals were replaced by the newer LED ones, and are now all approach lit. The ones on the signal bridge at CP Gord where the Michigan Line joins CN appear unchanged and are constant lit.

IDK if any were added/deleted/moved, or if there were system changes, etc. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can advise.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

bctrainfan wrote:AFAIK, and I don't know a lot about signals, it looks like the old existing signals were replaced by the newer LED ones, and are now all approach lit. The ones on the signal bridge at CP Gord where the Michigan Line joins CN appear unchanged and are constant lit.

IDK if any were added/deleted/moved, or if there were system changes, etc. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can advise.
CP Gord will probably not change until the CN decides to change the way downtown Battle Creek is signaled. CP Baron will probably be the same way

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GP30M4216 wrote:The Harris and View crossovers are both hand-throw - I wonder if they will also be remoted.
They are assembling track panels next to both the View and Harris crossovers. I looks like they will both removed.