Sappi's Power Plant Coming Down Sunday

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Sappi's Power Plant Coming Down Sunday

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Sappi's Power Plant Coming Down Sunday

Unread post by intocable83 »

Too bad I have to work! Friend of mine lives less than a block from it with a perfect view from her house. Sad to see such a large plant go down but it will definitely open up a nice view of the lake. Anyone know if they are hauling out any of the debris by rail? I would ask my friend but she probably doesn't pay attention to that sort of thing. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

intocable83 wrote:Too bad I have to work! Friend of mine lives less than a block from it with a perfect view from her house. Sad to see such a large plant go down but it will definitely open up a nice view of the lake. Anyone know if they are hauling out any of the debris by rail? I would ask my friend but she probably doesn't pay attention to that sort of thing. :)
No rail shipments. Tracks are all still in place as of last check, however.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
intocable83 wrote:Too bad I have to work! Friend of mine lives less than a block from it with a perfect view from her house. Sad to see such a large plant go down but it will definitely open up a nice view of the lake. Anyone know if they are hauling out any of the debris by rail? I would ask my friend but she probably doesn't pay attention to that sort of thing. :)
Are you saying that you know they won't be using those tracks to move out the debris and scrap metal?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Are you saying that you know they won't be using those tracks to move out the debris and scrap metal?
They have not moved any previous stuff by rail, so it is an assumption...you've got me there.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

we watched them from the gate to the mulching plant. nice and close to the 500 foot blast zone and right on the tracks. I think Michigan shore is holding onto them in case any future companies ship via rail but I am not getting my hopes up.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Back when Sappi was shipping by rail they averaged 1-10 cars a day plus there is a warehouse in Muskegon that handles some of Sappi's inbound pulp and they averaged 1-5 cars a day (per Mr. Tops Muskegon Railroad Website :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...