Plymouth Yard Office fire

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Plymouth Yard Office fire

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

barnstormer wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Typhoon wrote: The signal supension will last a couple of weeks.
Is that why Q335 made a stop at Farmer Street, today? I watched the head-end pass Main Street and saw the signals were red for them to take the cross over and the Southwest Wye for the Plymouth Sub. I couldn't see if the gates came down before the power came to the crossing, but they came to a stop at Farmer Street where I saw the conductor standing on the steps of the conductor's side of the lead locomotive and ignited flares that were placed on the grade crossing. I assume that is the procedure when the crossings do not activate?
Informed directly that CSX will place a new signal bungalow at Beck rd. to handle the signals from there to Trowbridge in order to expedite the return to service of that segment, hoping to finish this in a few days. And due to the fire, they are also looking at completely replacing the old signals system for Plymouth diamond from Beck rd. to Hines park and Middle river to John Hix rd., which was slated to be updated in the near future anyways, but will now be put on the front burner, so to speak. They hope to have this next step done in 4-6 wks.

As far as the procedure for activation failures, crews must stop the train prior to fouling the crossing, the conductor dismounts the equipment, flags the traffic to a stop, places lit fusees on both sides of the crossing to indicate to traffic the need to remain stopped, and when it is safe to do so, give a signal to the engineer to occupy the crossing, stop movement once on/over the crossing, mount the equipment, and then proceed. This is not the case for false/partial activations, as the procedure is less involved.

-barny
Goodbye to the signal bridges at MP 25 and Beck Road then. Isn't there another between Beck Road and Trowbridge?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Goodbye to the signal bridges at MP 25 and Beck Road then. Isn't there another between Beck Road and Trowbridge?
It's a C&O cantilever on the hill at Green Oak, which is east of Brighton.

Yes, if this full scale upgrade comes to pass, the old cantilevers west of the diamond in Plymouth will no doubt fall to history. Many other signals around Plymouth have already been replaced over the past decade, with modern Safetrans equipment. Probably the end of the code line, though.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

Local news story on the fire.