Amtrak speed restrictions from Ann Arbor to Dearborn

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Amtrak speed restrictions from Ann Arbor to Dearborn

Unread post by Ypsi »

More speed restrictions are on effect, from about mp 31 to about mp 11. Speed restricitons are between 25 and 30 mph. Amtrak 350 had to stop shot of the 30 siginal toget the restrictions copied down today. There are at least 7 different restrictions in place, most being 30mph with 25mph orders mixed in.

Engineer and conductor not too happy to get the badly laied out restricitons, including a 25mph for just 2/10 of a mile.. That is sandwiched between 2 30mph restrictions..

The conductor and engineer wondered why not just go 30 the whole way, engineer knows why though: "that'd be too easy"

Looks like slow trips from AA to Dearborn now, not sure how long these will last, but I do believe that they were being out down this morning.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak speed restrictions from Ann Arbor to Dearborn

Unread post by hoborich »

What is the reason for the restrictions, especially a 25 mph, between two 30 mph zones. What difference does 5 mph make?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

hoborich wrote:What is the reason for the restrictions, especially a 25 mph, between two 30 mph zones. What difference does 5 mph make?
I'm sure a track guy will chime in, but I'm pretty sure that if the track roadbed is disturbed (tamping, tie replacement, etc) then there are a certain 'hierarchy' to speed restrictions that must be followed. I know that a 25 mph restriction remains in place until a certain tonnage has been run over the worked area to ensure it has settled correctly, etc. I don't know what that number is, but probably 20,000 to 30,000 tons? I know I've seen them 'deliberately' run the big heavy trains over the new slow orders to get the required tonnage over them quicker. So, if MOW forces were out in the middle working on the ties that have the track restricted to 30mph, it would be further restricted to 25 mph until the track has time to 'settle'.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

I would guess that it is under 20,000 tons, as one loaded coal train is usually enough to raise the speed restriction.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

With that information im guessing that speed restriction wont be around long?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

milineamtrak wrote:With that information im guessing that speed restriction wont be around long?
Well, Amtrak does not weight very much...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

38E/39E weigh much more than Amtrak.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

2000-3500 tons per 38E, 1500-2500 per 39E, unless it's lite power, then figure 500-600. Restrictions are 24.8, 28.6-29.1, 30.4-30.6, 30.8 and 36.3-36.5. Someone like Buster may know better than I, I didn't write them down this evening as they took me by surprise while I was out watching Amtrak and 38E and tried to remember from memory. Did not hear a 25MPH note. There is also a restriction out in the area of MP40 which is about 3 miles west of Ann Arbor also at 30 MPH. With all the work expected these kinds of orders will become normal I would think.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

ns8401 wrote:2000-3500 tons per 38E, 1500-2500 per 39E, unless it's lite power, then figure 500-600. Restrictions are 24.8, 28.6-29.1, 30.4-30.6, 30.8 and 36.3-36.5. Someone like Buster may know better than I, I didn't write them down this evening as they took me by surprise while I was out watching Amtrak and 38E and tried to remember from memory. Did not hear a 25MPH note. There is also a restriction out in the area of MP40 which is about 3 miles west of Ann Arbor also at 30 MPH. With all the work expected these kinds of orders will become normal I would think.
350 of Thursday had a restrictions from 31.8 pretty much all the way to CP mort of about 30 mph with a few 25's in there. There was a 2 mile stretch (I think Wayne to Dearborn) without restrictions. 355 as of yesterday was still on a 30 mph restriction Ypsi to 31.8, and the conductor reminded her of 2 other 30's west of mp32. Adding to NS8401, mp 13.5, mp11.8, 9.7, and 7.7 were also ordered as of Thursday. I believe all of those. Are 30 mph restrictions
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

First Time Posting...

What is the usual power on 38/39E, and how long are the speed restrctions in place?

Thanks!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Welcome to the board :) 38e/ 39e get a nice mix. 39e is the power from 38e. Generally dash 8s and 9s with geeps mixed in, also common are sd70m-2s and other SDs.. Idk how long they will be, Amtrak will be replacing track on the line soon in certain spots.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Ballast down on the michigan line around mp29-30 at least today, happened between 3-5:30pm ish I believe.. I was not home to see a ballast train, but I am assuming that most of the new ballast is near the rail sections they are replacing (mainly near or on curves)

There are less speed restrictions now, but a few are still in place I hear the engineers calling a few out consistently. Some spikes have been marked with silver paint near mp 30 I am assuming to be replaced

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Amtrak took a switch and I'm not sure if its coming back :lol:

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

So where is the removed switch at?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

It's "missing" not sure where they took it or why, (edit) location is about mp 29.6 on the NS Michigan line. That is the lead to "ypsi yard" which is where NS sometimes staged MOW stuff

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Track related speed restrictions vary in the differences in measurement regarding surface (horizontal plane), line (vertical plane) and gauge. There are differences in the various FRA track classes for freight & passenger, but many times the railroad will just restrict the segment to the freight speed. Freight/passenger speed track restrictions are 10/15, 25/30, 40/60, 60/80 & 80/90.

Rail related speed restrictions vary by the type of rail defect, usually found by Sperry and similar companies' detection units. Rail defect restrictions are 50, 30, 10 and Out of Service.

So in regards to the above post, the 25 MPH restrictions are track related defects, and the 30 MPH restrictions are most likely from the running of a Sperry (or comparable company) test car.
Not that obvious

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:It's "missing" not sure where they took it or why, (edit) location is about mp 29.6 on the NS Michigan line. That is the lead to "ypsi yard" which is where NS sometimes staged MOW stuff
The lead to what? Do you mean Willow Run Yard? If so which main? I assume that is #1 main and you are looking west, there is another end to that yard and it can be accessed via the East end of the yard, I would guess that switch will be back. What street did you come in off of (also north or south side of the tracks). I'll some time this week and I'll take a peek and see what's up.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

ns8401 wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:It's "missing" not sure where they took it or why, (edit) location is about mp 29.6 on the NS Michigan line. That is the lead to "ypsi yard" which is where NS sometimes staged MOW stuff
The lead to what? Do you mean Willow Run Yard? If so which main? I assume that is #1 main and you are looking west, there is another end to that yard and it can be accessed via the East end of the yard, I would guess that switch will be back. What street did you come in off of (also north or south side of the tracks). I'll have some time this week and I'll take a peek and see what's up.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

ns8401 wrote:
The lead to what? Do you mean Willow Run Yard? If so which main? I assume that is #1 main and you are looking west, there is another end to that yard and it can be accessed via the East end of the yard, I would guess that switch will be back. What street did you come in off of (also north or south side of the tracks). I'll some time this week and I'll take a peek and see what's up.
as described in the video and post that is about mp 29.6ish and that is the lead to "ypsi yard". That is what the yard in Depot town is called, as called by maintainers and such when the major work was being done by NS. Would have been the south main way back when, and in no way affecting Willow run yard or the normal train traffic, just caught my eye when I saw it gone. Sometimes they store MOW stuff there.

This is the Amtrak Rail train passing through ypsi yard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYSX175UqWM

Where I filmed the video would be off of E forest street, near the old Michigan Central bridge (with lettering still kind of visible)

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

[quote="

The conductor and engineer wondered why not just go 30 the whole way, engineer knows why though: "that'd be too easy"

.[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that there IS a 25 between them. So maybe go 25 the whole way. This type of thing is actually quite common. The poor planning would be a case of this being a known issue for more than a day and it not being placed in the orders. But new hazards arise all the time. just the nature of the beast.
Mark it Zero.