HBD @ 142.9

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

HBD @ 142.9

Unread post by GTW »

Just wondering if anyone knows why this is the only HBD that does not give the speed---thanks.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Re: HBD @ 142.9

Unread post by Evan »

GTW wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows why this is the only HBD that does not give the speed---thanks.
Where is it at? Not Hot Box Detectors give speeds

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Evan wrote:
GTW wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows why this is the only HBD that does not give the speed---thanks.
At MP 142.9. To answer the question, I don't think there is any reason it doesn't give the speed

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP9R wrote:
Evan wrote: Where is it?
At MP 142.9.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

GP9R wrote:
Evan wrote:
At MP 142.9. To answer the question, I don't think there is any reason it doesn't give the speed
You don't say, Not like the threat is entitled that or anything....I was referring to the town it its in...

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

I'm assuming west of Schoolcraft on the CN. There's plenty of variation on what HBD's read out. One near me that was recently replaced used to say speed, but now says the temperature.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"Because it's not programmed to do so" is really the only applicable answer here.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Old Bastard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Bastard »

railohio wrote:"Because it's not programmed to do so" is really the only applicable answer here.
Do you ever have anything useful to contribute to a thread? Just out of curiosity-sake...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Old Bastard wrote:
railohio wrote:"Because it's not programmed to do so" is really the only applicable answer here.
Do you ever have anything useful to contribute to a thread? Just out of curiosity-sake...
No, he just works for the magazine.
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote:Logic being what it is I would say the answer from Railohio would be spot on....or MAYBE the detector maker forgot to put it in, or maybe detectors built on Tuesday don't have the speed voice in it cause the voice over guy took the day off....or maybe the maintainer is a mean guy and left it out to spite some of you...
But I will instead go with Railohios answer.
Dok, useful answers only, please.

:lol:
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Just wondering because the other four that I can hear give the speed. The one at 142.9 gave the speed for two days and then it was taken off.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GTW wrote:Just wondering because the other four that I can hear give the speed. The one at 142.9 gave the speed for two days and then it was taken off.
So why didn't you provide that pertinent info with your first post?
Last edited by J T on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Doktor No wrote:Logic being what it is I would say the answer from Railohio would be spot on....or MAYBE the detector maker forgot to put it in, or maybe detectors built on Tuesday don't have the speed voice in it cause the voice over guy took the day off....or maybe the maintainer is a mean guy and left it out to spite some of you...
But I will instead go with Railohios answer.
^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

All HBD's have the capabilities to transmit a speed, its a function you can turn on and off depending on preference of the railroad is serves. There are a lot of other functions that you will not hear because some railroads find it not necessary, but the function is there. As for the HBD at 142.9 it may just have been forgotten to be turned on when it went into service.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

25.6 on the Mt Clemens Sub didnt say speed until recently. It may have to do with upgrading as that one has been there for years. The new one in Birmingham installed last year has always said the speed.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

You are right Milinemike the HBD at 142.9 has been at that location since the 80's when the line was still double track. the new one at 129.8 and 155.6 are new and give the speed. But 142.9 gave the speed for one day no big deal I guess. Also the diamond at Schoolcraft is rumored to be replaced for one of those new OWLS types. Don't know why most of the trains don't get over 40 mph anyways. Back when it was still double track at Schoolcraft west to Penn it was good for 55 or 60 at that time on the diamond.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

GTW wrote:You are right Milinemike the HBD at 142.9 has been at that location since the 80's when the line was still double track. the new one at 129.8 and 155.6 are new and give the speed. But 142.9 gave the speed for one day no big deal I guess. Also the diamond at Schoolcraft is rumored to be replaced for one of those new OWLS types. Don't know why most of the trains don't get over 40 mph anyways. Back when it was still double track at Schoolcraft west to Penn it was good for 55 or 60 at that time on the diamond.
The Switch at Schoolcraft is 40, the Diamond is 30, and the Curve is 40. That must be a new rumor, I heard that they keeping the regular diamond because the GDLK crossing at speed also