Indiana Northeastern Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DonHarding
Manager of High Hood Locomotives

Indiana Northeastern Question

Unread post by DonHarding »

Hello,

I am a new member here. I've been reading this board for many years, enjoying all the wonderful pictures and stories featured here. I've never joined because I've never felt the need to, until now. First, I'd like to congratulate Mr. Brent Kneebush on his picture in Trains Magazine. I enjoyed seeing a member here make it in that magazine. Second, I live in Lenawee County and have always wondered about that Indiana Northeastern Railroad in Hillsdale County. I often travel on US 12 and see a few of their empty cars in Hillsdale and the occasional locomotive just resting. I don't know much about them, other than they run a steam train every weekend or so. I know they have some interesting old EMD locomotives and I'd really like to get some pictures of them running (I still use film, what little precious film I have left, that is!). Does anyone know where they're based out of and when they run trains?

Thanks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Indiana Northeastern Question

Unread post by AARR »

Welcome! There are a few other members here who have articles and pictures published on a regular basis. If you hang around enough you will learn who they are. Including the Sr Editor at Kalmbach.

As for INE Hillsdale is the main operating station and I am pretty sure the operate daily but I don't know if they have a regular routine or just go where ever they are needed on a particular day. Even though Hillsdale is their main yard they often park their engines on the road someplace in particular around Ashley/Hudson.

There are some guys here who know a lot more than me and hopefully they will reply to your question.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

My Dad is Mr. Kneebush, I am just Brent ;) Thanks for the compliment, there are others who are even more prolific in print from the website, hang around and get to know us. FWIW I grew up in the Hudson Area, always good to have someone from the area here.

Operations are largely based out of the NS Yard in Montpelier, Oh where a train will either originate or terminate nearly every day. Really the best way to find them at work on any given day is to call the operations office in Hillsdale, simply tell them you are a railfan who will be in the area today and you would like to know where they are operating. They are used to this and gladly give you the information.

More information at their webpage which is essentially a glorified "fan" page. http://www.indiananortheasternrailroad.com/

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I've spent some serious time captioning almost all of the photos in my INER album, so others might learn a thing or two about what we saw in the photo besides just what engine is leading the train. Check it out!

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnails-1367.html

DonHarding

MagnumForce wrote:My Dad is Mr. Kneebush, I am just Brent ;) Thanks for the compliment, there are others who are even more prolific in print from the website, hang around and get to know us. FWIW I grew up in the Hudson Area, always good to have someone from the area here.

Operations are largely based out of the NS Yard in Montpelier, Oh where a train will either originate or terminate nearly every day. Really the best way to find them at work on any given day is to call the operations office in Hillsdale, simply tell them you are a railfan who will be in the area today and you would like to know where they are operating. They are used to this and gladly give you the information.

More information at their webpage which is essentially a glorified "fan" page. http://www.indiananortheasternrailroad.com/
Thank you for the link! I appreciate it! I may give them a call, I'm just a little worried they may be suspicious. A friend of mine was hustled by a railway police officer a few years back for doing something like that to another railroad. Never know how people will respond in this post 9/11 era. Sad really. If INER is friendly to Railfans, I might just have to give them a call!

I think I read a post a few weeks ago about a Railfan in Lima, Ohio who was being bullied by some Military Police while filming a RJ Corman train? I feel for you buddy. I need to get one of those, "Photographers Rights Papers."

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Just be kind, cordial, give them your name, where you are from and your intentions and they gladly give you the info.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

MagnumForce wrote:Just be kind, cordial, give them your name, where you are from and your intentions and they gladly give you the info.
Brent's Right. I grew up In litchfield and when i go home to visit I just pop into the Office in Hillsdale and ask and they are always nice and tell me where the train is and where its going and always tell me good luck. Very Friendly Outfit
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

DonHarding

Thank you kindly for all the help here gentleman!

INE-KP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by INE-KP »

The Little River Railroad operates the steam train in Coldwater and now is a great time to take a ride with them as the leaves are changing colors quickly. As for operations, it's best to call the office - there is usually a train out there somewhere.

DonHarding

Does anyone know INER's AAR Channel?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

161.100 but this is generally only used while switching, they use the NS road channel on the Montpelier - Pergo section.

DonHarding

MagnumForce wrote:161.100 but this is generally only used while switching, they use the NS road channel on the Montpelier - Pergo section.
I have a different type of radio, an ICOM handheld. How can I pick them up on it? NS on that radio is 46.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MagnumForce wrote:161.100 but this is generally only used while switching, they use the NS road channel on the Montpelier - Pergo section.
Hey Brent, I don't recall right off but do they give out track warrants over the radio? Regardless, like a lot of shortline operations the best strategy is to simply show up where & when the train is going to start working and then chase from there. As has been pointed out they're very nice about letting you know the where & when if you just ask nicely. Otherwise that line would be much harder to catch moving because basically every day is 'work as needed where needed' rather than any kind of set operating schedule.

Regards,
Michael Harding a.k.a. MDH
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

DonHarding wrote:
I have a different type of radio, an ICOM handheld. How can I pick them up on it? NS on that radio is 46.
Sounds like you have AAR channels programmed into your handheld? In that case - here's a handy reference for you:

http://www.qsl.net/n4jri/aar_ch.htm

So freq. 161.100 is "66"
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

DonHarding

MDH wrote:
DonHarding wrote:
Sounds like you have AAR channels programmed into your handheld? In that case - here's a handy reference for you:

http://www.qsl.net/n4jri/aar_ch.htm

So freq. 161.100 is "66"
Thanks Michael! I wonder if we're somehow related?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

DonHarding wrote:Thanks Michael! I wonder if we're somehow related?
Could be, but common enough last name. My dad's side of the family goes back to Warren, OH - he even went to Warren G Harding high school, though we make no claims to being related to the president! :lol:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MagnumForce
Angry Man

I have seen a meet occur in Hamilton before and I do not remember any warrants being issued even for that, doesn't mean it didn't happen though. Wonder if Kevin is lurking?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:I have seen a meet occur in Hamilton before and I do not remember any warrants being issued even for that, doesn't mean it didn't happen though. Wonder if Kevin is lurking?
Last time I was on the IN, I don't remember them ever getting a track warrant.
Bottom text.

INE-KP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by INE-KP »

No Track Warrants here. We operate on AAR Channels 66 and 86 then 18 while on NS property. NS powered grain trains are starting to show up.

DonHarding

INE-KP wrote:No Track Warrants here. We operate on AAR Channels 66 and 86 then 18 while on NS property. NS powered grain trains are starting to show up.
y
You work on INER?