Coe RR (Wixom, Commerce TWP, Walled Lake)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
WixomRR248
Railroadfan...fan

Coe RR (Wixom, Commerce TWP, Walled Lake)

Unread post by WixomRR248 »

Tuesday, it was officially announced at a City of Wixom meeting, that the Coe RR will begin tearing down signals and tracks "eventually" to make a walking/bicycle trail that will combine the city of Wixom, Commerce TWP, and Walled Lake. I will post more information as it becomes available

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Coe RR (Wixom, Commerce TWP, Walled Lake)

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Was just a matter of time I guess....

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Not really new news... Abandonment was approved last year. I will miss this section of the old GTW.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

I live on the Commerce, West Bloomfield border. I can see the tracks from my house. They took out those tracks last year.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

I've been told that the old depot in Walled Lake is going to restored and made into a rest station on the trail. If anyone has old photos of the line in operation, the people working on that would probably be interested in having copies of those. They would make a nice bit of history that could be shared with users of the new trail.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Well that's good that the depot will be restored.

WixomRR248
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by WixomRR248 »

@Pica I live in Wixom right next to the tracks and they are still there. They aren't in use, but they are still there.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

The tracks run at least as far east as M-5. Last time I was further to the east, the tracks were still in place crossing the border into West Bloomfield at Haggerty Road. No idea if the tracks are still in into West Bloomfield but the spur at the old Haggerty Lumber property was the last potential customer on the line. The dinner train only went further east for the scenery.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Can the tracks be picked up and moved to the GTW between Rochester and Romeo? That would be a nice present :wink: :lol: ..... I wish

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NoviRailfan wrote:The tracks run at least as far east as M-5. Last time I was further to the east, the tracks were still in place crossing the border into West Bloomfield at Haggerty Road. No idea if the tracks are still in into West Bloomfield but the spur at the old Haggerty Lumber property was the last potential customer on the line. The dinner train only went further east for the scenery.
The railroad has abandoned to Haggerty Road. East of Haggerty should be getting pulled, and all of the rest should come down sometime this year according to the STB filings.

TraintrackGal
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TraintrackGal »

Just went on Haggarty last week and the tracks are gone just east of Haggerty and there is a gate in place that keeps four wheeler traffic out. It's just gravel now. Also the grade signals have also been removed. The Halstead road crossing and tracks are gone too. Sad.....but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. :cry:

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

If this wasn't shared around yet, a recent video from the line.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I used to live in Commerce back in the early 2000's and would always look forward to seeing the dinner train parked next to Pontiac Trail. It'll be sad and weird looking when their is a trail there and no tracks or trains. :(